Movie cliches/subplots you hate

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
The thug/hardened gangster with trust issues who keeps having close encounters and old haunts/people trying him that threaten to send him back to prison. Apology tour, “that was the old me”s etc abound. Some fam member or youngin he tryna keep from the same path

Towards the end of the film, He’s got a child on the way and turns his life around *motivated by College Kid TM only to be killed by an old rival, a relative of a victim or: getting caught after his absolute last lick/favor- or killed tryna save the aforementioned youngin or college kid

I don’t *hate it but it’s done the same nearly exact sequence and scenario
Another semi-related trope is the reformed thug where something bad happens. Everyone blames the reformed thug and tells him he never changed until it comes it that it wasn't his fault.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Someone chasing someone, and they run through a busy commercial kitchen, and knock stuff over, but nobody stops them
Good one. Most things that people bring up in this thread are obvious...but I didn't realize that I've seen this one over and over until you mentioned it.

I have another one, but I'm having trouble putting it into words:

The people who write movies and TV shows don't seem to quite understand the relationship cities and the suburbs around them.
E.g. they seem to think that New York City consists of just the island of Manhattan (containing Eight million people!) surrounded by rural countryside just across a bridge.

It's especially bad with movies about New York (since most writers don't quite understand the difference between "The City" and "New York City")... but this cliche seems to be true of every city in the movies. You get just outside of Metropolis...and all of a sudden you're in Smallville :russ:.

TDT

All Star
Daps
The prison movie setup..

Main character gets charged with something he or she didnt do or was framed,judge sentences them while the family is shown crying in the background..

When they get to the prison,after the strip search and conversation with the warden("This here is MY prison,you will follow the rules etc") then theres the"walk to the tier"part where all the prisoners be cat-calling or saying things like"Im'a get you in my cell!!!",the main character ends up in a cell either by himself or with a older cellmate who teaches him the ways of surviving,he then tells him about the various prison gangs(the Mexicans who end every other sentence with "ese" "vato" or "cabron" the racist Aryan skinhead types,the Bloods/Crips-type gang featuring the big brotha who"runs the tier",the gay drag queen inmates etc,as well as the lead CO who you know is a racist thug straight away)

Theres also the one inmate(usually a scrawny White guy) who's like"I shouldn't be here"or is about to be released in like two or three days..on the last day he is packing his things then the warden tells him there was a mix-up and he'll be staying for a whole other year..the inmate snaps and tries to kill the warden but gets beat down by the COs and dragged off to solitary,we dont see him again for the remainder of the film :mjlol:

Towards the end is when the big riot breaks out as a cover for when the characters try to escape,this results in all the supporting characters getting gunned down while the main guy is saved at the last minute after hearing they caught the person who framed him in the first place :shaq:

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
The nerdy ass incel that never talks to women that plays pokemon cards getting the super popular chick that is slutty as hell at the end of the movie. Brah i ain’t believing this shyt one bit.

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
"YOU'RE ALWAYS AT WORK :damn:

MAKE MORE TIME FOR ME AND THE KIDS OR IT'S OVER :damn: "

And the husband will be working a regular ass job with normal hours or some demanding, but really well-paid job. And they'll be in an elite house. :mjtf:

Or the kid gets mad that his dad always at work, so he go do some attention seeking bullshyt to were the dads like “ aight son, my bad, I didn’t spend time with you cause I work a 6 figure Japanese salary man job, but I’ll quit so I can be around you 24/7” :mjlol:

Last edited:

TDT

All Star
Daps
The nerdy ass incel that never talks to women that plays pokemon cards getting the super popular chick that is slutty as hell at the end of the movie. Brah i ain’t believing this shyt one bit.
A variation on that trope is that said incel gets bullied constantly,there's the one classmate who tells everyone to back off but they dont listen..then the nerdy guy ends up shooting up the school the next day

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
Woman having an a$$hole boyfriend/fiance
And she starts to fall for the main character. And we're supposed to be cool with this No Good bytch flirting and playing lil cutezy games with him just because her boyfriend is a prick...

No bytch. U still a hoe lol

Ayo, there gotta be a plot of the jerk bf leaving her ass.

shonuff

All Star
Daps
the weather never changes

everyone may be from different classes or different racial groups but every one even the "veteran " person thats been "doing it for years ..." they are all the same age ...somehow late 20s to young 30s

they always get parking right in the front of where ever they are going.....

car chases never encounter red lights or traffic even though they are in a city known to have lots of red lights and traffic......

elite soldiers with commando fighting skills are in a stalemate fighting people hand to hand who have never had a fight in their lives......

the worst and most overly used trope ?

"you are the one"

Last edited:

EffedUp

Pugs get lonely too...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cincinnati, OH
I'm sure this has already been mentioned but after watching Thanksgiving with my niece today, the whole "killer who dies at the end but they can't find the body" is one I definitely can't stand. :francis:

Last edited:

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Sitcoms where one or more of the main characters get arrested and thrown in jail.

You will likely see the these people locked up as well:

A big menacing black guy (usually saying rapey shyt....it's local jail, breh. Calm the fukk down :mjlol:)

An old drunk/weirdo blurting random shyt.

Oan, the jail cell is only a few feet away from the watch commanders desk.

Last edited:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Every Wes Anderson film where it's essentially just entitled cacs making up issues because they're delusional

Everybody knows karate
And the karate actually saves them in street fights consistently :mjlol: foh

Also:

- No one with guns can aim unless it's the main character

It made no damn sense that :leostare: and his team of architects and conmen were getting into gunfights against trained militia and winning :what: