Movie cliches/subplots you hate

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
Been on a hood movie binge so I'll list some shyt I'm tired if seeing in those..

The bad bytch that the dopeboy/gangsta falls in love with turns out to be the police/backstabber.

Main character loses the plugs work and has to get the money back in 48 hours.

The square friend/good guy character always gets killed.

The "one last drug deal/robbery" that always goes wrong.

Two siblings separated as kids, one turns out to be a thug the other one is a cop.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
The good guys know the bad guys have a "mole" in their organization, but you don't find out who it is until the very end.

But...if you look back it makes no sense for that person to have been working for the bad guys, because he had a million opportunities to wipe out all the good guys the whole time.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
The secret base, Alien Spaceship, or whatever is filled with technology far beyond what current humans could ever dream of...but they've never bothered to invent the security camera so the heroes can sneak around with ease by hiding in the shadows.

This first hit me watching a re-run of the orignal "V" miniseries, but its EVERYWHERE from James Bond to Star Wars (and all the ripoffs of both.)

Book of Boba Fett just did this one. Jabba's Palace has dozens of guards from space faring races...but you can still sneak in through a sewar grate and wake around undetected.

Daps
Group of American white people, usually in college, get into some bullshyt in a foreign country after trusting a foreign friend.

Hostel
The Beach
The Ruins
Catacombs
Midsommer (RIP the breh who should’ve known better)

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Been on a hood movie binge so I'll list some shyt I'm tired if seeing in those..

The bad bytch that the dopeboy/gangsta falls in love with turns out to be the police/backstabber.

Main character loses the plugs work and has to get the money back in 48 hours.

The square friend/good guy character always gets killed.

The "one last drug deal/robbery" that always goes wrong.

Two siblings separated as kids, one turns out to be a thug the other one is a cop.
The cop brother doesn't really associate with his brother and is constantly passing judgment on him and his lifestyle.

However, a time comes when the cop gets into a big jam, possibly life or career threatening, and has no one else to help him, so he goes to his thug brother for help.
:umad:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The secret base, Alien Spaceship, or whatever is filled with technology far beyond what current humans could ever dream of...but they've never bothered to invent the security camera so the heroes can sneak around with ease by hiding in the shadows.

This first hit me watching a re-run of the orignal "V" miniseries, but its EVERYWHERE from James Bond to Star Wars (and all the ripoffs of both.)

Read that first paragraph and thought you were talking about Independence Day. :russ:

Super good or Super Evil characters.

I'm at the point where I just can't stand a book/show if one of the characters is only good or only bad. Lack of nuance is boring as fukk.

nerdy white boys who get bullied but somehow run through all the hot broads in the movie or the show.

Came in to say this, but not nerdy so much as old or fat. Lead guy can always be whoever but lead female has to be twenty years younger than him and a 9-10 minimum.

goth/nerd/emo student new in town who's misunderstood and turns out 1(just needed to switch to Abercrombie clothes instead of Hot Topic)

I thought of that one too - where the "ugly girl" is hot as fukk but wears glasses and dresses casual - as if she wouldn't already have been an item the way she was.

Its a big game of poker, or some other game of chance.

All of the main hero or villain characters have the supernatural luck to be given elite level "hands" (or the equivalent of hands in whatever game they are playing), even if the "deal" is supposedly based on random chance rather than the skill of the player

Yeah, 70% of on-screen poker hands are 1 in 100 hands. :francis:

When somebody finds evidence of some type of crime or corruption
And goes to see the person they suspect is responsible, by themselves unarmed, gets clapped

This. :mjlol:

1 good guy vs 5,10 or a million bad guys in a gun fight or fist fight and the one dude wins:mjlol:
dudes standing around taking turns to fight the one guy:stopitslime:

This.

Especially when the bad guys have knives and the good guy doesn't, but the good guy somehow doesn't get cut the fukk up. Go into a knife fight without a knife (fukk it even with a knife) and see if you don't catch a deep-ass cut minimum brehs.

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
The cop brother doesn't really associate with his brother and is constantly passing judgment on him and his lifestyle.

However, a time comes when the cop gets into a big jam, possibly life or career threatening, and has no one else to help him, so he goes to his thug brother for help.
:umad:

:mjlol: spot tf on.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Read that first paragraph and thought you were talking about Independence Day. :russ:

Independence Day is entirely built on cliches.
Here's another one, I did a quick scan through the thread and didn't see mentioned:

The heroes set the secret base/space station to explode. The countdown gets do zero and a wave of destruction starts radiating out in all directions from the point where the bomb/self destruction device was set off. Even thought the destruction wave appears to be spreading out at a very high rate of speed, the heroes are able to fly (if they are in a ship) or run (if they are on foot) JUST fast enough to stay barely in front of the blast wave and barely make it out of the evil base before it is completely destroyed.

Independence Day ripped this off from Return of the Jedi, but the origin goes back at least as far as James Bond escaping from Dr. No's lair.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
The latest episode of Power Book 3 had a good one:

The villain has the wounded hero in his sight. He raises his gun to go for the kill shot.
The camera pans up so you can't see the gun barrel...then BANG you hear a gunshot.

The camera then pans down...to show that someone magically appeared out of nowhere to shoot the villain in the back and save the hero.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
Nobody ever reloads their guns

Blowing up the White House

I don’t know if this counts but damn shouldn’t Michael Myers be pushing 70-75 at this point? Mf hasn’t aged since last century but still catching bodies like a prime Bruce Willis

Also I hate the you get shot point blank but still live shyt. Shep in above the rim and Russell Crowe in la confidential come to mind

Daps
The cop that's about to retire until something happens.

The villain that finally catches the hero but begins to talk shyt instead of killing him right away
I’d like to add the victim knocking the killer out, and resting, or hugging the other victim, and not shooting the killer in the head, or slashing their throat. And of course, leave the weapon right there on the floor. Don’t pick it up, and take it with you.

Daps
Man chooses woman who is a major bytch, heart of stone, wears her hair in a bun, and takes her on dates, she warms up, and they fall in love.