Monique is officially suing Netflix

Rawster

Relax Baby
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
La Perla
I'm bookmarking this thread because a lot of people are going to be on the wrong side of history here.

So it aint just Mo huh? Another successful famous black female comedian was lowballed by Netflix and took offense to it? Say it aint so.

The suit further claims Netflix has a corporate culture that tolerates racial insensitivity and impropriety, lacks diversity and underpays women and minorities. It cites the revelation last year that actor Matt Smith was paid more for his supporting role on Netflix’s “The Crown” than actress Claire Foy was paid to play the title role.

Mo’Nique questioned why Netflix was willing to negotiate with Schumer, but not her. "Amy Schumer was offered $11 million; Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle, $20 million. Then Amy Schumer went back and renegotiated 2 more million dollars because she said, 'I shouldn’t get what the men are getting; they're legends. However, I should get more,' and Netflix agreed."

Mo'Nique, who won an Oscar for best supporting actress in 2010 for her role in the film "Precious," added: "Why shouldn’t I get what the legends are getting?

NETFLIX released a statement today admitting that they lowballed Mo'Nique as an "opening offer" (legal speak) to protect themselves in the court of public opinion. Mo has said from day one that she was not allowed to negotiate now Netflix starts damage control and says it was fair for an "opening offer" as if this was a negotiation.

NETFLIX: “We care deeply about inclusion, equity, and diversity and take any accusations of discrimination very seriously. We believe our opening offer to Mo’Nique was fair — which is why we will be fighting this lawsuit.”

So someone here is lying. So was she allowed to negotiate or not? Was it the opening offer or the only offer? Who do you believe the woman who has backed up everything that she has said thus far or the cac corporation?

Mo’Nique attempted to negotiate pay that she felt was more reasonable, but Netflix refused to budge.

“In response, Netflix did the opposite. It dug its heels in the ground, refused to negotiate fairly and stood behind its discriminatory offer.”

“In stark contrast, when a white female comedian objected to her offer (given how much lower it was than comparable males), Netflix reconsidered and upped her offer.”

“In short, as this lawsuit shows, Netflix’s treatment of Mo’Nique began with a discriminatory low-ball offer and ended with a blacklisting act of retaliation.”

By Netflix saying it was only an "opening offer", they are going to argue that they know it was far below her worth and will say that they had a ceiling of around $5 million to offer her after negotiations.
That way they can hide such a pathetic offer to her behind "negotiation tactics." It will be revealed that is was pitched as a " take it or leave it" offer and not a negotiation if this goes to trial and all of the correspondence is Subpoena'd.
It will be settled quietly and Mo'Nique will get her special.

All of you arguing that she didn't deserve more look like dikkheads now because even Netflix is admitting that they were willing to pay her more (hence $500k being in their words the "opening offer").

Let's use common sense here now, if they allowed her to negotiate this "opening offer" for even $100k more, then she would be complaining that they only offered her $600,000 and not $500k. How is it a negotiation if Netflix never came with a better counter offer?

Salute everyone who saw through the politricks that these vultures like to use to overwork and underpay us. Never forget the whole blackball of Mo'Nique started because she didn't want to do a 2 month promo tour for free, while paying her stylist, hairstyles and makeup artist out of her own pocket. That's after taking a huge cut on her salary at the time to do Precious ($50-60k) as a favor. Blackballed not because her movies tanked, or because she was hell to work with, but because as a black woman she said she would like to be paid for her work.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
not so fast breh...bc she turned right around and:

:mjlol:

Wanda Sykes on Not Ignoring the ‘Orange Elephant’ in the Room for First Netflix Standup Special

"They came in with the best offer,” Sykes tells Variety, not just referring to the money made for selling “Not Normal” to the streamer, but also the fact that they have such a large platform and do not rely on traditional ratings. “They know what their numbers are, but they don’t tell you so I’m not worried about people having to tune in at a certain time. People can watch it whenever they want to watch it, so you get that long life of the special instead of after the first two weeks then it goes away. You always get people who are just now finding it. That was really appealing.”

She notes, “If you get a special on Netflix, and if you put out a good special, and then you go out on tour, your ticket sales go up,” which also held appeal.

With her Push It Prods. banner, Sykes is also producing a standup series for Netflix. Titled “Tiffany Haddish Presents: They Ready,” it will consist of half-hour sets from up-and-coming comedians, as well as an hour special for Haddish, who also executive produces.

Sykes admits that speaking up publicly to point out how Netflix undervalued her in the past probably did have some influence on the streamer coming in more competitively now. But she also believes that executives were paying attention to “what I’ve been doing and my ticket sales” over the last few years.

Wanda Sykes on Doing Business With Netflix: ‘They Moved That Comma’

Sykes emphasized that Netflix’s offer and her response were strictly business negotiations. She didn’t take it as a personal slight, but she did take her special to a rival outlet, Epix. Today she’s also working on a scripted series for Netflix with comedian-producer Mike Epps.

“This is what they feel the special is worth. I disagree and I’m going to find another buyer,” Sykes said of her previous discussions with Netflix. “This time around, Netflix came in with a good offer. It wasn’t Dave Chappelle money but I’m not doing Dave Chappelle business. The offer was commensurate with the business I was doing.”

Thingsfallapart

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This hurts Monique’s argument more than anything.

Wanda felt like she was lowballed, so she went out a proved it by getting a better offer and doing well with that offer. She proved her worth to Netflix and was then paid accordingly.

Monique’s been at it with Netflix for damn near 2 years and still has clearly not received a better offer from anywhere. Which proves that Netflix did not lowball her. Mo’Nique is doing 300 seat comedy clubs for $40.00 a ticket right now. Where is the demand?

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bryron has evidence his sales people were told that they would NOT get sold networks as long as they "work for that N*GGER"

This is where you slow brehs expose yourselves.

Byron HAS been discriminated on and he has been stopped from buying by cable industry. He has evidence of it as well.. it's not speculation like other case.

Monique doesn't like the offer she was given on the table, she wasn't discriminated upon as a woman or a Black person. Netflix can easily prove both just by showing who they are paying. Her case has no legs. She can't draw enough viewership with the content she already had on netflix which they can show in court. Nobody was watching her shyt and she want the same kind of money as people who have large VIEWERSHIP.

no matter how many ways nikkaz break it down for you stupid muthafukaz you don't get it. :snoop:

You brehs are a shining example of why education is fundamental.

Stay in school kids.

Byron also had the memorandum of understanding that comcast signed with Al sharpton and the NAACP to cover for their racist practices in exchange for money.

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
So Monique and Wanda already said Netflix low balled them, but still it's bubu Tiffany secured the bag...with no proof OR care to confirm she got the same/more than her peers
hating and complacency disguised as concern, objectivity, or worst activism, is shameful

not so fast breh...bc she turned right around and:

:mjlol:

for clarification...why post her special?

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
So Monique and Wanda already said Netflix low balled them, but still it's bubu Tiffany secured the bag...with no proof OR care to confirm she got the same/more than her peers
hating and complacency disguised as concern, objectivity, or worst activism, is shameful

for clarification...why post her special?

:patrice:huh? because somebody posted a tweet from wanda sykes supporting monique's argument, then she turned around and did a netflix special.

are you having a mini-stroke? :ohhh:

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
:patrice:huh? because somebody posted a tweet from wanda sykes supporting monique's argument, then she turned around and did a netflix special.

are you having a mini-stroke? :ohhh:
you must have a mini-stroke to view renegotiating after public support as an L to their original claim. I wonder if you view Schumer's similar actions as an L :ohhh:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
you must have a mini-stroke to view renegotiating after public support as an L to their original claim. I wonder if you view Schumer's similar actions as an L :ohhh:

:what:nikka who said anything about it being an "L"? Dude posted an old tweet from Wanda Sykes and i reminded him that she eventually did the netflix special.

tryna add little shyt to your argument to save face talking about an "L" :mjlol:

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
:what:nikka who said anything about it being an "L"? Dude posted an old tweet from Wanda Sykes and i reminded him that she eventually did the netflix special.

tryna add little shyt to your argument to save face talking about an "L" :mjlol:
nikka throw a rock and is now trying to hide his hand, but talmbowt saving face...you "reminding" him was obviously a counter to his point about a W for Monqiue :mjlol: