MMG - Self Made Vol.2 sells 95k first week

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Does this also mean they are simply not that big.. Like people will listen to their music on the radio, but they are not going out of their way to check for them.... I mean people bring up the "this isn't 2004" argument all the time..... But Jay, Kanye, Wayne, are Drake are doing fine......

I think what this come down to is that these so called stars aren't really that big, or as big as people hype them up to be (including fans and blogs)...

:yeshrug:
For perspective's sake...half way through 2012, Self Made Vol. 2 has the second biggest first week for a rap act all year

If you don't think those numbers are great for a rap compilation in 2012, you're fooling yourself....the Good Music album will likely do a bit better, but this was done with a smaller budget...these Self Made albums are like supplementary releases for Warner, but with this success it bodes well for Meek's debut

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jay,Kanye,Drake and Wayne are doing good..for this era. Them nikkas are megastars and cant even sell what Ludacris,Ja Rule and Lloyd Banks were selling back in 2001. They'll have big first weeks and tap out at 1.5,2 million..that should show you how much the game has changed.

I'm very familiar with sales, and completely understand the change in the industry... Ludacris, Ja Rule, and Lloyd were selling this amount of units at the height of their career... Mind you Rick Ross released his first album around a time sales were still a little on the upside...

My main point is that Ross just isn't as big as people make him out to be. All the Ross fans make jokes about Jeezy and 50 Cent, but has yet to sell what they have.... They have legitimate fans... and I don't even care about sales, just don't understand a lot of these die hard Ross' fans logic

Youngdev

Superstar
Daps
I'm very familiar with sales, and completely understand the change in the industry... Ludacris, Ja Rule, and Lloyd were selling this amount of units at the height of their career... Mind you Rick Ross released his first album around a time sales were still a little on the upside...

My main point is that Ross just isn't as big as people make him out to be. All the Ross fans make jokes about Jeezy and 50 Cent, but has yet to sell what they have.... They have legitimate fans... and I don't even care about sales, just don't understand a lot of these die hard Ross' fans logic

Explain this Logic ross fans have

You acting like nikkas was expecting Ross to go double plat. Also the main reason nikkas clown 50 is because he is the one who started this number shyt, no one cared about numbers like that til 50 came thru, he bragged all day about that shyt and now look at him. It has nothing to do with Ross

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps

:what: that's not true. '06 was the year everyone's sales started dropping. jay z and t.i. were the only ones to go platinum in 06. rick ross went gold that year.

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina

Rick Ross wasn't really a big name until a couple of years ago though. All his alsbums have sold over 700k he just hasn't hit that platinum mark. He hit his peak of popularity in the wrong climate to be honest, he's as popular as he's ever been in the worst selling era of music.

Jeezy and 50 do have plaques, but Jeezy hasn't touched platinum since 2006, 50 since 2007. Ever since the game has shifted over to a more commercial/college boy era not one street rapper has sold over 600k units. And the only rappers to go platinum in the past 5 years period are Drake,Jay,Nicki Minaj,Eminem,Kanye and Wayne.

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Pretty much what I figured as far as sales go but people have to understand he's not really advancing all that much given all the hype and promo he receives. This guy and his click or whatever just can't seem to get over that hump into true stardom. The numbers just aren't there for Ross and truth be told I don't think they'll ever be. He been in the game since 06 and he still hasn't hit that pinnacle. If he didnt do it in the BMF time frame which was the peak of his popularity then I don't think it's ever gonna happen.

Youngdev

Superstar
Daps
I'm tired of nikkas acting like its easy to sell records these days, you literally can count on one hand how many rappers go plat

Wayne, Drake, Em, Jay, Kanye.

That's it that's 5 rappers out of 1 triliion.

shyt R and B nikkas aint even doing numbers, did trey songz even go plat? Usher might not even make it to plat.

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps

The "jokes" that hurt your feelings were moreso about MUSIC than SALES.

Ross has had a steady stream of music being released since 2009 through today with almost ZERO breaks in between. MMG could have just dropped Self Vol 2 as a mixtape and just toured off it like Rich Forever

INSTEAD

They slapped a $10 price tag on it and packaged to their die hard fans to go out and purchase. So now they still get to tour off this but they also get some get back from the album sales(which is really just pocket change compared to the show money).

90k first week for a COMPILATION ALBUM is damn good for this era. They had a better first week than

Big Krit
Currensy
Future*
Waka*

Both Waka and Future have had a pretty strong presence on the radio this year and they aint really selling records like that.

TOUR/SHOW money is where its at now, Just ask 2 Chainz. Yall need to catch up.

QuarterCenturyLegend

Stoopid Life
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
95K isn't a good look from the amount of videos they release every month and constant promotion but on the other hand it's way better than the first Self Made which shows you work ethic pays off. I just hope y'all nikkas stop talking about Ross as a superstar though. Compilation album or not, throw a new Hov compilation together tomorrow and it's selling at least 200,000 in the first week