MLB Legend Reggie Jackson Exposes Racism He Endured During His Career

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I had a chance to meet Willie Mays some years back with my dad, they're from the same area, and to listen to some of the stories he told about the stuff he had to deal with was ridiculous. Had a chance to meet Hank Aaron too(I told that story before) but he didn't talk about that in detail, he was the nicest person and even signed a glove, a ball, and a bat that I still have til this day. That's the reason why I'd never put any player over the like of Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. Nobody had to deal with what they dealt with. Also, Atlanta is literally a direct result of Birmingham's racism, heard that from Hank himself along with several other old heads when I was younger, I never forgot that.

yup which is why i hate when players say so and so about the dudes who played in the 50's and 60's what they had to endure is crazy. I remember that hank aaron story about the plates that ish riles me up

We had breakfast while we were waiting for the rain to stop, and I can still envision sitting with the Clowns in a restaurant behind Griffith Stadium and hearing them break all the plates in the kitchen after we finished eating. What a horrible sound. Even as a kid, the irony of it hit me: here we were in the capital in the land of freedom and equality, and they had to destroy the plates that had touched the forks that had been in the mouths of black men. If dogs had eaten off those plates, they'd have washed them

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
My Pops is 70 now and he's told me some of the exact same shyt. He told me about a time that some white boys in a pickup truck pulled in front of his school bus and blocked the road to keep them from getting to school. He said the police came after about 2 hours and told the bus to turn around and take them back home instead of making the folks in the truck move. All because they didn't want them going to their white school. I got plenty of stories to tell about shyt my elders told me.

My own great grandmother abandoned my grandma and I guess he's my great uncle, and left her with her(my great grandmother's) sister because my grandmother was really light skinned but didn't look black enough but my great grandmother could pass for white. My great grandmother was mixed but didn't claim her black side and her white man told her to get rid of her or he was leaving, she chose him. I never even met or spoke to my great grandmother until the day of my grandmother's funeral. It was the first time I ever met her and she broke down crying and told me what she did and how it was her biggest regret. Imagine hearing that as an 8 yr old.

Last edited:

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
yup which is why i hate when players say so and so about the dudes who played in the 50's and 60's what they had to endure is crazy. I remember that hank aaron story about the plates that ish riles me up

We had breakfast while we were waiting for the rain to stop, and I can still envision sitting with the Clowns in a restaurant behind Griffith Stadium and hearing them break all the plates in the kitchen after we finished eating. What a horrible sound. Even as a kid, the irony of it hit me: here we were in the capital in the land of freedom and equality, and they had to destroy the plates that had touched the forks that had been in the mouths of black men. If dogs had eaten off those plates, they'd have washed them

Man. I got stories for days, the breaking plates thing apparently was pretty common, and they would do it so that the black people there could hear it.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
The Dixiecrats are now the modern day Republicans because the Democrats didn't want anything to do with them but the current Republican regime won't admit that.
Dixiecrats never left the democratic party entirely, most of them did, but they came back. Segregationist Joe Biden is one of em.

Geode

All Star
Daps
He held no punches. Actually he probably did. That was probably the sanitized version.

I'm glad he told his story, from his own mouth, because they always swear things didnt exist, or "wasn't that bad back then".

It turned from "aren't you happy to be here again!" to "hell no" real quick.

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
He held no punches. Actually he probably did. That was probably the sanitized version.

I'm glad he told his story, from his own mouth, because they always swear things didnt exist, or "wasn't that bad back then".

It turned from "aren't you happy to be here again!" to "hell no" real quick.

I love where I'm from but Birmingham has a wicked history. Even that stadium, that stadium was basically overrun and abandoned and it's dead in the middle of the hood. They ONLY cleaned it up and renovated it for this game and MLB did that. shyt is sad how they do people in the city here.

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
Never liked Baseball or Football. Didn't Jackie Robinson went thru the same thing? There's a statue of his in Coney Island with a inscription of what he went thru.