MILITARY STORIES

Unolove

All Star
Daps
What did y’all get on the asvab? I got 69th percentile I’m surprised that im smarter than 69 percent of the navy.

Unolove

All Star
Daps
And how the fukk do people not pass pt

Boot camp besides the running was easy as fukk(been smoking cigs since I was like 14)
But the push-ups and situps should be easy for anyone that lifts

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps

Boot camp besides the running was easy as fukk(been smoking cigs since I was like 14)

Most folks don't lift like that, especially before they come into the military. :stopitslime:

The running was easy too unless you're on that :flabbynsick: time.

Maybe USN PT is different though. :patrice:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I was 36 when I was in boot camp and I passed my PT with the 20someting age range scores. Then again it was Air Force PT so take that how you will

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

VET TEC​

I didn’t know about this program until a couple days ago. Wanted to share it here if it can help anyone

What types of training does VET TEC cover?​

You can get training in one of these high-demand training areas:
  • Computer software
  • Computer programming
  • Data processing
  • Information science
  • Media applications

What benefits can I get through this program?​

With VET TEC, you can get:
  • Tuition for a full-time high-tech training program
  • Money for housing during your training
Note: If you’re on active duty, you’re not eligible to receive a housing allowance.
If you attend your training program in person, your housing stipend will be equal to the monthly military Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. This is based on the zip code where you attend your training.
This is cool good looking out

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
Military brehs I came across a few trades that I qualified for after I did my written test, I pretty much qualifies for every position. The trades that are in demand for Canadian military are military IT, aerospace traffic coordinator and operating room technician. Of those trades, which would you recommend and which has the best job prospects after service in the military, thanks. I believe the aerospace traffic coordinator I'd be working with the air force (duh) and the Sergeant was briefly mentioned NORAD. Any stories/experiences you've heard about the position.

He also told me that the Operating room tech has highest likelihood of being deployed out the country. Respect in advance.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Military brehs I came across a few trades that I qualified for after I did my written test, I pretty much qualifies for every position. The trades that are in demand for Canadian military are military IT, aerospace traffic coordinator and operating room technician. Of those trades, which would you recommend and which has the best job prospects after service in the military, thanks. I believe the aerospace traffic coordinator I'd be working with the air force (duh) and the Sergeant was briefly mentioned NORAD. Any stories/experiences you've heard about the position.

He also told me that the Operating room tech has highest likelihood of being deployed out the country. Respect in advance.

No idea about anything (much) Canadian but from what I know:
- Aerospace Traffic Coordinator sounds like Air Traffic Controller in the US. ATC...
  • ATC pays very well but can be very stressful depending on how busy your airspace is.
  • They often have shytty schedules including nights and holidays.
  • Has one of the highest occupational suicide rates (up there with dentists).
- Operating Room Technician correlates with AF 4N1 slots:
  • Doesn't pay as well as ATC does.
  • Still have shytty schedules/long hours, depending on what type of surgery they work.
  • Occupational risks include exposure to diseases, and you have to deal with folks potentially dying on the table.
  • Might have to be on your feet for a hot minute.
  • Usually responsible for doing some minor scut work but a lot of that is contracted out.
- Military IT could be anything: help desk/trouble ticket bytch, network maintenance, etc. Could be money or absolutely useless on the outside, depending on what certs they give you/let you get.

Last thing I'll say is not to focus too much on transferability and all that. Things are constantly changing, but sometimes jobs you get aren't based on qualifications/experience, they're simply based on knowing the right people or being available at the right time.

Good luck.

TheMailMan

All Star
Daps

I would do IT. Get some certs and get a contractor job overseas after your enlistment

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
No idea about anything (much) Canadian but from what I know:
- Aerospace Traffic Coordinator sounds like Air Traffic Controller in the US. ATC...
  • ATC pays very well but can be very stressful depending on how busy your airspace is.
  • They often have shytty schedules including nights and holidays.
  • Has one of the highest occupational suicide rates (up there with dentists).
- Operating Room Technician correlates with AF 4N1 slots:
  • Doesn't pay as well as ATC does.
  • Still have shytty schedules/long hours, depending on what type of surgery they work.
  • Occupational risks include exposure to diseases, and you have to deal with folks potentially dying on the table.
  • Might have to be on your feet for a hot minute.
  • Usually responsible for doing some minor scut work but a lot of that is contracted out.
- Military IT could be anything: help desk/trouble ticket bytch, network maintenance, etc. Could be money or absolutely useless on the outside, depending on what certs they give you/let you get.

Last thing I'll say is not to focus too much on transferability and all that. Things are constantly changing, but sometimes jobs you get aren't based on qualifications/experience, they're simply based on knowing the right people or being available at the right time.

Good luck.

Dudes that were in have a much easier job getting anything on the outside just due to experience. You'd be surprised just how low the bar is civilian side. Military is be on time in the right uniform and look like you're working for ~8 hours.

Civilians just want dudes who'll actually show up to work. If you even give halfway effort, you're golden.

Contract work is always a thing, no matter the MoS/rate. Companies always looming for retirees/dudes who just separated.

You could have been in the mess hall mixing expired beans and meat, get out, and suddenly you're in charge of 10 ppl on projects.

Have a couple of supervisors who could be a reference, do your job while in, and don't get a dishonorable discharge, you're fine.