Military brehs....do you regret joining?

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
I don’t regret joining but I do hate that I had to participate in a bullshyt war.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Not really, but all ex military I spoke to said I'm making a good move.

Aircraft Maintenance isnt bad but its "grunt work" of the AF. Youre not Operations so no prestige or promotions. And youre not support/medical/finance so no cake walk work or office comfort. You'll be working outside in the elements turning wrenches.

If youre a tinkerer by nature you'll find some enjoyment in it. Hopefully you get Crew Chief as you get a baseline knowledge of all aircraft systems, which makes getting the A&P cert easier (which is a must if you plan on getting out and still do aircraft maintenance) . Also if you get stationed at a base with fighters, prepare to work a lot and have a lot of stress....Heavy aircraft missions arent so life and death so the culture is "lighter".

Pro tip, find the old guys (if any are left) and learn from them. They know all the tricks to making life easier.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Aircraft Maintenance isnt bad but its "grunt work" of the AF. Youre not Operations so no prestige or promotions. And youre not support/medical/finance so no cake walk work or office comfort. You'll be working outside in the elements turning wrenches.

If youre a tinkerer by nature you'll find some enjoyment in it. Hopefully you get Crew Chief as you get a baseline knowledge of all aircraft systems, which makes getting the A&P cert easier (which is a must if you plan on getting out and still do aircraft maintenance) . Also if you get stationed at a base with fighters, prepare to work a lot and have a lot of stress....Heavy aircraft missions arent so life and death so the culture is "lighter".

Pro tip, find the old guys (if any are left) and learn from them. They know all the tricks to making life easier.
Thanks

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

I feel like this is one of the best things I learned while I was in - how to network and "if it works, its not stupid"

It'll save you so much time and energy in life just seeking out people who know what they're doing. It was nothing like college 'networking' events at all. If you don't know people that can get shyt down outside of your immediate reach - whether its armorers, supply, admin, mechanics, etc - then your days will go from 2 hours and off by lunch to working late and showing up early to finish the next day. And honestly that's life. Its all about who you know and it pays to know everyone. Good and bad.

Paisley Darts

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Richmond, VA
I don't regret joining at all. One of the best decisions I've made. From traveling around the world, signing bonus, deploying making tons of money, VA disability, time off of my main job and hopefully retirement money...it is a good deal. But I do wish I picked a better career field that would translate better to the civilian side. Should have did Intelligence - top secret security clearance - I would be making serious bank.

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
I feel like this is one of the best things I learned while I was in - how to network and "if it works, its not stupid"

It'll save you so much time and energy in life just seeking out people who know what they're doing. It was nothing like college 'networking' events at all. If you don't know people that can get shyt down outside of your immediate reach - whether its armorers, supply, admin, mechanics, etc - then your days will go from 2 hours and off by lunch to working late and showing up early to finish the next day. And honestly that's life. Its all about who you know and it pays to know everyone. Good and bad.

I remember those 2 hour Fridays, when I got night shift working in the hangar shyt was always a 3 day weekend :blessed:.

Hit the barracks, get washed up hit the club with the shop nikkas....and parking lot pimp some hoes :lolbron:

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
What benefits?
The main thing is your VA Loan...then if you got just a scratch you can get some kind of check for life thru the V.A....not to mention the GI Bill...and I've used all this and it has helped me and my family tremendously...no way I'd have a house out here in California without that loan