Mid black movies from the 90s

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
But if it's really not known, doesn't it fall into that category as well?

Fresh was an indie flick and a lot of folks still never seen it. Same with Fear of a Black Hat, and both are critically acclaimed. People Under the Stairs is cult, but relatively unknown. I know more white horror fans than black folks that have seen it. Based on the OP's examples, they're fair game.
As far as these type movies being well known, I was just basing it off a certain type demographic….black and bout 30+…Fresh is definitely well known. :mjlol: You couldn’t avoid that shyt a certain point, shyt was always on reruns.

People Under the Stairs, you might be right, probably gotta up the age to 35 or 40+ for it to be considered ‘well known’

(Also I think OP was strictly talking about quality….popularity isn’t a factor)

Daps
Most of the ones I thought of have already been mentioned (only one mention so far of Always Outnumbered? That diner scene with Lawrence Fishburne, Natalie Cole, and Isaiah Washington is classic).

Cherokee Kid

(Been years since I seen this one. Nice mid family friendly western starring Sinbad).

Soul Of The Game

(probably doesn't classify as mid since I think it's borderline classic film about the Negro League Baseball stars integrating the Major Leagues Delroy Lindo as Satchel Paige, Mykelti Williamson as Josh Gibson, and Blair Underwood as Jackie Robinson).

Straight Outta Brooklyn (like Matty Rich. Word to Smoothe Da Hustler :obama:). Haven't seen this movie in over 30 years since my dad rented it on VHS not too long after it came out. Hood movie about the traps of drug dealing and poverty that had a significant buzz when it dropped, but rarely hear it mentioned anywhere nowadays.

Tales From The Hood

(classic soundtrack and classic mid level horror anthology stories as part of a larger storyline involving a funeral home and some gangstas looking for dope).

A few others that come to mind, too lazy for reviews at the moment...

Low Down Dirty Shame
Final Shot: The Hank Gathers Story
Rebound: The Legend of Earl "The GOAT" Manigault (Don Cheadle killed it in this role though)

Slam (Slam poetry movie starring Saul Williams)

The Walking Dead (flick about black soldiers in Vietnam. Haven't seen it years but it used to run religiously back on HBO in the 90s)

Also crazy to me how many of these movies mentioned so far I that I actually saw in the theaters. Not a chance in hell of most of these kinda movies being greenlit for theater releases nowadays.

Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Valley of the SUNS
Most my friends hated this movie but it's guilty pleasure of mine.

SprungMoviePoster.jpg