Mid black movies from the 90s

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Heaven Is A Playground is a pretty dope bball movie I used to watch all the time as a kid. It's rare, though.

Fly By Night another childhood fav, about an aspiring hiphop group.

First Time Felon with Omar Epps and Delroy Lindo is a dope HBO movie.
Love Heaven is Playground. I tried to watch last month, but my old ass DVD was scratched up 😫😫😫

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Trespass is ok. Surviving the Game is better from an entertaining angle.

I'm going through my collection:
Bamboozled is an interesting one. Most people didn't understand what Spike was doing though.
The Cherokee Kid, if you can find it. A black Western starring Sinbad and other legends.
Strapped
Clockers
Fresh - but that's well known and critically acclaimed

Last edited:

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
nikkas got Fresh, Clocker, Major Payne, and The People Under the Stairs as mid? I thought most people had em as blassics.

Nostalgia may have me remembering Fresh better than what it is…but the others, I would never think of as mid.

Get On the Bus with bizarro Dwyane Wayne/Kadeem Harris probably fits as mid (thinking of him…Lockdown might be another one)

Against the Wall…I would say it’s a black movie, but maybe too good to be called mid. Haven’t watched it in a minute tho.

Edit: :russ:looking thru his imdb, fake dwyane Wayne was always playing some fukked up role. Always killed em, should’ve gotten more shots at bigger roles.

Last edited:

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
:picard: @ some of these choices. I see some cult & Black classics posted

My first couple of negs on The Coli was saying that this was the era where the soundtracks were better than some of the films. 😁 Def Jam, Loud, etc was killing it at that time

Side note:
People joked on Mario Van Peebles when he made 'Solo'

And another sci-fi dud, but had action was 'Eve of Destruction' with Gregory Hines. It was his version of Terminator 🥴

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
nikkas got Fresh, Clocker, Major Payne, and The People Under the Stairs as mid? I thought most people had em as blassics.

Nostalgia may have me remembering Fresh better than what it is…but the others, I would never think of as mid.

Get On the Bus with bizarro Dwyane Wayne/Kadeem Harris probably fits as mid (thinking of him…Lockdown might be another one)

Against the Wall…I would say it’s a black movie, but maybe too good to be called mid. Haven’t watched it in a minute tho.

Edit: :russ:looking thru his imdb, fake dwyane Wayne was always playing some fukked up role. Always killed em, should’ve gotten more shots at bigger roles.
But if it's really not known, doesn't it fall into that category as well?

Fresh was an indie flick and a lot of folks still never seen it. Same with Fear of a Black Hat, and both are critically acclaimed. People Under the Stairs is cult, but relatively unknown. I know more white horror fans than black folks that have seen it. Based on the OP's examples, they're fair game.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
This thread is looking for mid black (or black led - like last Boy Scout or nothing to lose would count) movies (ie not the classics that always get discussed like boyz, boomerang, house party, etc) I want the middest of the mid. Also drop reviews of mid movies

Never watched Strictly Business front to back until last night, Halle was stunning in that movie and altho he usually annoys me, Tommy Davidson was the best character. Completely straightforward predictable plot, doesnt make the auto watch when re-aired list, but I will go listen to the soundtrack

Watching Mo Money tonight, 25 mins in and this is terrible. Damon’s dope fiend and mentally handicap characters didn’t age well at all.

What else we got in the mid black 90’s movie lineup?
Mo Money was NOT that bad ESPECIALLY compared with how many shytty movies came out around that time.

• Dap
Reactions: Sbp

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
They’re not, and the movie was the definition of mid. Definitely wouldn’t call it hilarious, but the wayans family as a whole has always been hit or miss with me
if you dont fukk with wayans bros then alot of their movies would be miss..luckily i love raw offensive humor

so

AbKSiPJ.gif

:laff:....:whew:...:dead: