Microsoft Has Purchased ZeniMax Media, Parent to Bethesda Softworks and More

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I pose this question, why world Microsoft spend $7.5b and keep everything on Xbox? Surely they'll make more keeping all existing IPs multiplatform.
AA and AAA stuff to keep Game Pass popping. Also, all the fakkity "MS has no exclusives" narratives, which is about out the window at this point.

drifter

Superstar
Daps

12 million viewers for nothing but a teaser.

Skyrim is one of the best selling games in the past gens and ever.

Elder Scrolls absolutely is momentum changing.

As I said, nobody gives a shyt about most of those games and it doesn't matter how many anecdotes off years old trailers you can find. If they cancelled every game on that list except Scrolls and Fallout, does a tree make a sound if it falls in a forest? Fallout would be missed because of history, not because of recent games. Scrolls is about the most in demand name and if you're buying that to change momentum you're going to be disappointed.

You care because you would be considered the hardcore crowd, I can admit most casuals aren't sitting around on message boards to have a back and forth about this with you, so I can't fully claim casual. But I feel like I am a lot more than most folks here, so I think I got a good idea of what these companies announce moving the needle or not. I like watching what announcements do to stock prices more than the actual announcement these days.

Again, this is a solid get and nobody said it wasn't. But this isn't the groundbreaking, generation defining move like you're going on about. You gotta relax, if MS is going to pull that off they have plenty

Bethesda is garbage now? Foh :comeon:

Now, as in because MS bought them? No, their output has been pathetic for years.

drifter

Superstar
Daps
I pose this question, why world Microsoft spend $7.5b and keep everything on Xbox? Surely they'll make more keeping all existing IPs multiplatform.

I don't think they'll all be exclusive, like it's nice to own the IPs outright but you'd at least like to recoup your purchase.

They've added tremendous value to push game pass subscriptions with the move and I can imagine the most important names like Scrolls & Fallout being timed console exclusives. Which is good for MS, add some exclusivity to your console offerings and get the Sony money later.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I don't think they'll all be exclusive, like it's nice to own the IPs outright but you'd at least like to recoup your purchase.

They've added tremendous value to push game pass subscriptions with the move and I can imagine the most important names like Scrolls & Fallout being timed console exclusives. Which is good for MS, add some exclusivity to your console offerings and get the Sony money later.
They could do extra long timed exclusives, like Sony gets it year 3:lolbron:

Marci-Senpai

Prosperity, longevity and a sound mind.
Daps
Reppin
More Life, Truth & Accountability

fukk that I want everything pc and Xbox exclusive :shaq:

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
As I said, nobody gives a shyt about most of those games and it doesn't matter how many anecdotes off years old trailers you can find. If they cancelled every game on that list except Scrolls and Fallout, does a tree make a sound if it falls in a forest? Fallout would be missed because of history, not because of recent games. Scrolls is about the most in demand name and if you're buying that to change momentum you're going to be disappointed.

It's just ES, but they now old basically every single western rpg company. The only competitor is CD projek red who are also super close with MS. Bioware is what you're claiming Bethesda is.

And if the rest of the companies were no big deal, why would Sony pay two of the companies for exclusive games and show them off at each ps5 show (deathloop and Tokyo ghostwire)?

Doom eternal was a big game which basically recemented id as one of the best fps devs. Machinegames are another great FPS company with wolfenstein, the darkness and chronicles of Riddikk as starbreeze.

They essentially have the fps/shooter market on lock between those two, 343, the colitation, and the rekindled relationship with them and bungie

It is what it is but theres a reason why this is big news. It's one of the biggest acquisitions in gaming history

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Two Xbox stans I won't name.

In a thread about which 3rd party out of several gotta go if needed:

Xbot1 said:
Gotta be Bethesda.

As much as I love fallout, they have the least history.

Get rid of any of the others and you are fukking up my childhood.

And y'all gone quit with the Ubisoft slander:comeon:

They got classic stuff going all the way back to the 90s. They aren't just assasins creed

Xbot2 said:
Bethesda, easily. Sky, that can take Activision with them.

Same stans in this thread HAPPY as fukk.
:laff:

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto

I see your point, but on the other hand, why would they spend 7.5B and not just do some GamePass day 1 launch/co-develop deal and spend much less.

Im leaning towards tentpole single-player titles being Xbox Platform exclusives from here on out.

If i was to bet, I would say most of the games that the big Elder Scrolls/Starfield/Fallouts are not coming to Sony unless it’s through Gamepass or something.

Big news today and big loss for PlayStation platform. Elder Scrolls really moves the needle. Plus all the other IP that they own.

Last edited:

drifter

Superstar
Daps
It's just ES, but they now old basically every single western rpg company. The only competitor is CD projek red who are also super close with MS. Bioware is what you're claiming Bethesda is.

And if the rest of the companies were no big deal, why would Sony pay two of the companies for exclusive games and show them off at each ps5 show (deathloop and Tokyo ghostwire)?

Doom eternal was a big game which basically recemented id as one of the best fps devs. Machinegames are another great FPS company with wolfenstein, the darkness and chronicles of Riddikk as starbreeze.

They essentially have the fps/shooter market on lock between those two, 343, the colitation, and the rekindled relationship with them and bungie

It is what it is but theres a reason why this is big news. It's one of the biggest acquisitions in gaming history

I'm talking from the broad consumer's point (which is where the money/momentum is) and you keep talking about things the broader public outside of the hardcore doesn't know or care to know about.

Do you think most PS4 owners know what a Deathloop or a Machinegames is? I don't even know what Starbreeze is so I can tell you for certain they don't. You can't even step out of your pizza rolls and gamer fuel to see what I'm trying to tell you.

Is this a solid acquisition to an area people thought MS lacked? Yes. Is this move a boon for Xbox and a system seller? No.

Does MS need it to be? No. What they need to focus on is game pass, making sure their core titles see no more delays, and telling new stories through the development of original IPs. These in the long run matter more than adding Bethesda.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Also, as far as we can tell, MS doesn’t give a damn about copies sold, they want content for Gamepass to increase subs.

Releasing games on PlayStation isnt getting them extra gamepass subs.

Edit: Well played Microsoft.

What do you do when you have ‘no games’ and a shaky looking Halo? You go out and buy Elder Scrolls. We all should’ve seen this coming.