Microsoft has closed a number of Bethesda studios, Redfall maker Arkane Austin, HiFi Rush dev Tango Gameworks, and more... Update: More cuts coming

drifter

Superstar
Daps
This won't happen. Console install basis have been stuck in the same range since the PS2 generation.

It's pretty clear Microsoft is becoming more software focused and hardware isn't a priority for them anymore. No other company is going to want to enter this space and invest what it's going to take to build out a console brand in terms of time and money for a slice of the install base Sony has mostly already claimed.

I think the console install base has made it pretty clear they want a monopoly and they'll get that.
I'm not sure about that. The reason MS is shaky is because nobody ever really fukked with them in the first place even though they had cult classics like Jet Set, Splinter Cell etc. Nintendo will always be around because there's a core audience for that hardware + software no matter how shytty the hardware is

For MS to gain traction the comp had to put out a box that cost ~$300-$350 depending on the SKU, fewer online features, and the marketing at the time wasn't understood by the audience. If someone comes in with audiences already understood & dedicated to having a presence and not collecting data like Google, with hardware & software that enough people already enjoy/familiar with they could stand to do decently sharing space with Sony & Nintendo.

Hint: I know you have two phones, you have one they make in your pocket.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You'd think Xbox is the only one to have studios close with as much attention as this is getting.

Dude in here talking about critically acclaimed hifi rush, meanwhile didn't play it, finish it or buy it, and if they did all they could say was things like "it's pretty good for a Xbox game" :mjlol:

Now dudes are here doing victory laps on some "see I told you Microsoft would do this", no dummies the whole industry outside of Japan really is doing this. :ohhh:

Canon

Veteran
Daps
You'd think Xbox is the only one to have studios close with as much attention as this is getting.

Dude in here talking about critically acclaimed hifi rush, meanwhile didn't play it, finish it or buy it, and if they did all they could say was things like "it's pretty good for a Xbox game" :mjlol:

Now dudes are here doing victory laps on some "see I told you Microsoft would do this", no dummies the whole industry outside of Japan really is doing this. :ohhh:
iNFINITE WARCHEST!

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London

Nope. There was a thread here at the end of February when Sony laid off 900 people. This was just after Microsoft laid off 1900.

It's an industry trend, no doubt. Right now MS is cutting the fat. As critically acclaimed as Hi-fi Rush was, it wasn't profitable and wasn't widely played. Arkane Austin made Redfall and that is self explanatory.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Stop it.

Outside of embracer no publisher is closing studios after spending damn near 100bil to acquire them.

Don't come in here shytting on folks that have been trying to tell you the Gamepass model doesn't work. Now they gon up the price and not release any day and date AAA games on y'alls asses.

Sucks that studios are closing across the board, but let's not act like there isn't more info coming out reflecting the gamepass/acquisition gamble is not working for M$.

PS I purchased hifi rush on steam, beat it, and plan on playing it again on PS5

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stop it.

Outside of embracer no publisher is closing studios after spending damn near 100bil to acquire them.

Don't come in here shytting on folks that have been trying to tell you the Gamepass model doesn't work. Now they gon up the price and not release any day and date AAA games on y'alls asses.

Sucks that studios are closing across the board, but let's not act like there isn't more info coming out reflecting the gamepass/acquisition gamble is not working for M$.

PS I purchased hifi rush on steam, beat it, and plan on playing it again on PS5
I own all Tango games minus HiFi because they just dropped it after FF7 and before Dragons Dogma 2, like who came up with that dumb ass idea???:patrice:

Oh the same people who shadow dropped it last year :mjlol:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Nope. There was a thread here at the end of February when Sony laid off 900 people. This was just after Microsoft laid off 1900.

It's an industry trend, no doubt. Right now MS is cutting the fat. As critically acclaimed as Hi-fi Rush was, it wasn't profitable and wasn't widely played. Arkane Austin made Redfall and that is self explanatory.
seems it was more whatever studio wasn't currently working on a project that they had already invested into. Alpha Dog and Roundhouse got the axe too