Microsoft buys Nokia

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Good for Nokia stockholders, but I don't see MS turning Nokia phones into Iphones, Motorola, Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, etc.

MS gonna have to make Android OS phones, esp if they wanna turn a profit.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Good look for Microsoft...

They basically become there own OEM...so now they have a guranteed platform to cater future windows phones to exactly how they want them...instead of having to go beg the Samsungs and HTC's of the world...

They might...and by might I am saying definitely... Can now drop their own line of Android phones...I fully expect them to take something like the G4...add some features and release Windroid ( :troll:)

It shows that they are in it for the long haul for phones... I have a Lumia 920 and I love it, but always felt like MS was just dabbling in the phone market...but with the purchase of Nokia I will at least stick around for the next generation of phones to see what they look like :ld:

Gonna be funny in about 2 years when they drop that Windroid to go along with the Windows Phone...then they are going to show stockholdes a nice pretty chart that says "See we are in the android market...and the premium phone market":troll:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
TBH Microsoft is being stupid about this whole thing.

They need to take the apple route like they did with their macs. Allow people to install Android on their phones as a secondary OS. It will get the nerd crowd excited and offer something Apple is not on their iPhones, yet will probably too complicated for casual users to really take advantage of.
It will also get some nerds to look at it like :ehh: I like Windows Phone OS

It's a win-win in my book, but they will never go for it.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
waste of money, theyd probly make more profit making android devices
Or maybe, just maybe...

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-will-make-34-billion-from-android-in-2013

And that $3.4 billion figure is set to increase exponentially as more Android devices are sold over the coming years. In 2017, Microsoft is expected to make $8.8 billion in revenue from the sale of 1.5 billion Android devices, assuming Microsoft collect royalties from 75% of Android devices. If Microsoft only collected royalties for 50% of all Android devices sold, they'd be inline for a $5.9 billion payout during 2017. This money is essentially free, as Microsoft contributes nothing to the Android ecosystem.

Not only does Microsoft make money from "most" Android devices sold, but also from a massive range of other companies who use the exFAT file format. Microsoft has deals with Sharp (for TVs), Nikon, BMW and Volkswagen, all of which pay Microsoft a substantial yearly revenue.

Anything else you wanna add to this conversation, or are you done making a fool of yourself :win:

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
TBH Microsoft is being stupid about this whole thing.

They need to take the apple route like they did with their macs. Allow people to install Android on their phones as a secondary OS. It will get the nerd crowd excited and offer something Apple is not on their iPhones, yet will probably too complicated for casual users to really take advantage of.
It will also get some nerds to look at it like :ehh: I like Windows Phone OS

It's a win-win in my book, but they will never go for it.
I'd definitely get a lumia 475296 if that was the case... The camera and hardware is :wow: but the os is lacking for the things that interest me (based on the last time I used my 920)...

Haven't done any research, but im assuming MS doesn't want to lose the Bing and app store revenue from being open with the hardware... Makes sense, especially since nerds don't make the world go around...

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I'd definitely get a lumia 475296 if that was the case... The camera and hardware is :wow: but the os is lacking for the things that interest me (based on the last time I used my 920)...

Haven't done any research, but im assuming MS doesn't want to lose the Bing and app store revenue from being open with the hardware... Makes sense, especially since nerds don't make the world go around...
People follow the nerds for the most part. It's the nerds that made the nexus line popular and casuals who see them on the street with it are usually :ehh: I like that phone, what is it? Then follow

The Lumia line gets attention from NOBODY right now. At least appeasing the nerds starts a custom rom thread on xda...then they continue to cook, people look at their phone slike :krs: and maybe start a small movement on that end. Microsoft can spend billions of dollars in marketing, but nobody cares right now. They need to stand out from Apple and Google...they need to stick with what made Windows the most popular desktop OS. Openness with closed/proprietary operating system.

As far as losing revenue? I think getting it into the hands of more people makes more sense than worrying about a small percentage that will root/install a long update from Microsoft/and then find a custom rom or whatever file they need directly from Microsoft.

This is chess, not checkers and Microsoft is thinking small. Blackberry was the same way, I laughed at their attempt to let android apps runs...why not just let nerds dual-boot if they want to.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
People follow the nerds for the most part. It's the nerds that made the nexus line popular and casuals who see them on the street with it are usually :ehh: I like that phone, what is it? Then follow

The Lumia line gets attention from NOBODY right now. At least appeasing the nerds starts a custom rom thread on xda...then they continue to cook, people look at their phone slike :krs: and maybe start a small movement on that end. Microsoft can spend billions of dollars in marketing, but nobody cares right now. They need to stand out from Apple and Google...they need to stick with what made Windows the most popular desktop OS. Openness with closed/proprietary operating system.

As far as losing revenue? I think getting it into the hands of more people makes more sense than worrying about a small percentage that will root/install a long update from Microsoft/and then find a custom rom or whatever file they need directly from Microsoft.

This is chess, not checkers and Microsoft is thinking small. Blackberry was the same way, I laughed at their attempt to let android apps runs...why not just let nerds dual-boot if they want to.

Nerds have the best tech insight, but that doesn't always equate to casuals following suit. Especially trying to dual boot a phone to a non-company (I.e. open source) OS...

I fully agree with your openness stance, but my point was that a feature that's for the nerds like us wouldn't happen from a company like MS. For the most part, the techies that would embrace this is a very small subset of the entire userbase.

MS doesn't gain much from this cause only a subset of the techies (who are a small subset already) are going to buy the phone to dual boot.

As for revenue, I'm interested to see their business model for Windows Phone. If they aren't making any money after the phone gets out of the door, than dual booting would be cool cause they get their money as soon as the customer buys the phone. However, if they're looking to gain money from the actual OS, this hypothetical situation doesn't help them. Getting back into the phone race so late is going to continue to bite them in the ass...

TBH, if Windows Phone (not the Lumia and its great HW) doesn't make some noise soon, MS would be better off just releasing premium Android phones (through Nokia)...