Microsoft buys Nokia

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I understand google fanboys like yourself that have been anxiously anticipating a Nokia Lumia 1020 with Android (:scusthov:) are undoubtedly disspointed in this news, this is actually excellent news for both companies, as well as shareholders.

I don't await a Nokia Android phone. It would just be wise for Nokia to make them.

Also this isn't exactly good news for shareholders. Nokia in 2003 was worth $243 Billion. Now they are being sold for a $7 billion. Take Motorla's acquisition into account, which was worth $12 billion or even Skype, which Microsoft paid $8 billion for.

This is a win for Nokia because they now now an EXCELLENT cash position, the main knock most investment firms held against them. Furthermore, they get to focus entirely on their HERE maps division, as well as their Nokia Seimens Network division, their most profitable sectors.
Nokia shareholders will eat because of the above as well.

Nokia bleeds cash. They are nowhere in a good cash position. That's why Microsoft was propping them up with cash every quarter.

Nokia's only profitable moment in recent memory was when they sold off one of their company's building headquarters to raise cash. :heh:

HERE Maps makes substancially less cash than Simiens or the handset sales in overall revenue.The handset sales have plummeted in revenue nearly 75% since the Windows Phone deal. All three operate at near-zero profitability.

Microsoft wins because the get the most innovative cellphone company making cell phones now. Yes, even more innovative that Apple and Samsung(:heh:). M$ will now be an OEM with the resources and personnel to compete directly with Google, and Apple. Something i'm sure those other companies are undoubtedly terrified of.

There is little innovation. Nokia jus recently tried to push themselves into the specs war with recent Lumia builds (also note: banking on the camera) and pretty much all have failed. The software leaves little to generate new ideas. No Android-like flexibility nor iPhone-like usability play into their favor. Ever had someone be wowed by something done on Windows Phone? I didn't think so either. That's why Nokia was shytting on MS to pick up on the app game and widen the possibilities.

This also proves that M$ is in it for the long haul in regards to Windows Phone. Elop will likely become the new CEO of Microsoft, which will undoubtedly ensure Windows phone gets robust support going forward. All those folks currently using windows phone should rest easy as this deal garauntees Windows blindingly bright future! We know have the full resources of M$ pushing windows phone.

And this is good how? Elop strangled the company into ruin. :heh:

"Hey this guy ruined one of the most profitable handset makers within 5 years into an industry punching bag. Celebrate his ushering into the CEO of one of the world's largest technology corporations. :blessed:"

All in all, its a great day to be a fan of Windows Phone, Nokia, and Microsoft.

And being that I'm a share holder in NOK and MSFT. I'm about to go into a coma i'm eating so damn good...:yes:

Except Nokia stock has only risen about a dollar or so. Womp womp.

Shame when I know more aobut the comapny you stan than yourself.
duck_hunt_dog_big.gif

Last edited:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Lumia 1020 doing quite well so far. If Microsoft uses Nokia's resources well from this merge and markets it correctly. They should be able to attract more developers. It's becoming quite clear from the past few months that WP is gaining some decent adoption. They won't get to Android level anytime soon but they would start being in iOS's radar at least soon and that's a major player right there.

NUPE 1911

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lumia 1020 doing quite well so far. If Microsoft uses Nokia's resources well from this merge and markets it correctly. They should be able to attract more developers. It's becoming quite clear from the past few months that WP is gaining some decent adoption. They won't get to Android level anytime soon but they would start being in iOS's radar at least soon and that's a major player right there.

WP8 is not even remotely close to being competitive with iPhone / iOS. Stop it.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Did you know that Microsoft used to own Nokia? In fact, they paid a whopping $7.2 billion for Nokia and just a couple of years later, they would end up writing off the entire purchase amount plus more as a loss. As such, Nokia is no doubt one of Microsoft’s worst acquisitions of all time. It’s easy to see that Nokia was a bad acquisition in retrospect but what if I told you that it was clear in real time as well but Microsoft went ahead with the acquisition anyway. Why you ask? Well, Nokia basically blackmailed Microsoft into buying them. You see, in the early 2010s, Nokia became the top Windows Phone maker. In fact, at the peak, they controlled 90% of the Windows Phone market. So, all they had to do to force Microsoft’s hand was threaten to move over to Android which is exactly what they did. Microsoft was hopeful that they would be able to make strides with control of the hardware side of Windows Phone but this ended up being a huge miscalculation. This video explains the story of Microsoft acquiring Nokia and the brutal consequences of this acquisition.

Timestamps:
0:00 - An Utter Fail
1:48 - A Desperate Plunge
5:44 - A Hail Mary
9:03 - Blackmailed

:laff:I'm dying reliving the details of why Microsoft bought Nokia.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Satya allowed the acquisition of ABK for the same reasons Ballmer acquired Nokia, to keep a losing hand in a growing industry. The only difference is ABK is profitable.