Microsoft Buying Activision Blizzard.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
I would say they're thinking past console gaming. Microsoft is thinking about putting xCloud boxes on TVs with no console attached and reaching people who don't even own a console by getting them to subscribe to a service.

There's one thing for sure with all the studio adds nobody else currently in the console space will be able to match what Game Pass will become. It's going to take another tech giant to compete with it. Google already left game development. Amazon seems to want to with Luna and them buying and creating studios.
I do agree with the subscription cloud stuff ultimately being the future. And I get they are making position moves.

Just if this is purely about forcing a portion of the market into their ecosystem, I'm not sure it will work.

I understand companies will make moves for marketshare over profit sometimes, like Amazon running on nothing just to take over the world.

To me it feels more like MS and Sony gaming ecosystems are starting to meld together than divide (im playing halo with my dual shock and god of war with my M/KB for instance). I'm wondering if we see a day with gamepass on sony consoles and sony's version of gamepass on PC's.

And the revenue comes from what each company offer on their respective service and not what hardware you play it on.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Nah

you do that passive aggressive shyt for whatever big news is out at the time to align yourself properly

I see through your gimmick
I'm on this forum joke with some people I've joked with for years. End of the day, whatever gets said we move on to the next topic.
Sometimes, some of ya'll, take things too serious.
Ya'll get offended when the joke is on you or when an opinion isn't copied and pasted from someone else. That's what I see right through.
I don't know about everyone else, but my brain is capable of liking something for one reason and disliking that same thing for another reason.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm guessing their value was starting to plummet with all of the controversy and teaming up with Microsoft is essentially a rebrand and a surge in capital.

It's a pretty strong basic business move: buying a distressed property with potential upside/value. With the way things were going, the only way Activision was going to truly bounce back was a major change in management or ownership. Microsoft took advantage to potentially provide both.

So let's do a rough estimate and say Sony consoles make up 60% of the cod player base (frankly it's probably more than that)

You are telling me MS is going to cut off that revenue stream just under the hopes, that maybe just maybe, a small percentage of them will switch to the Xbox ecosystem? I doubt it they didn't put down half their available cash just to brag, they expect a return long term. They aren't going to make the cod player base happy by alienating more than half of them. What happened last time MS alienated them? Sony became the face of COD (how many pros use xbox controllers? what is Scuf and Battle Beavers flagship controller?)

Maybe MS will make it exclusive but my gut tells me they won't.

Diablo, overwatch, starcraft etc. That's really a non issue to me console wise because those are largely PC centric games. No one is buying a console just to play diablo. If you are well lol. Cod is the only needle mover console wise.

One thing I am concerned about as a PC gamer is these future games being forced to run through MS's god awful gamepass launcher on PC and it's terrible windows implementation (just run halo through steam or through gamepass to see, or Doom, or Forza, or shyt any of them)

P.S. remember Xbots acting like Sony was evil for having timed map exclusives in Cod :russ:

Can we kill the hyperbole a little too? Xbox is still down 40 million consoles. There is no 'checkmate' or 'it's over' or nail in a coffin. Ya'll sound dumb. Ole ''here at microsoft we're a family'' ass company men.

Yeah, the knee jerk "Microsoft Wins" reactions are a bit much. Make no mistake, this is a GREAT move for them. But to just jump out the window and say that something like CoD is exclusive is absolutely insane. In what world would it make sense to pass up 70% of the revenue of sales on your chief competitor's marketplace for one of the best selling annual (previously) third party annual releases? If they're smart, Microsoft isn't playing a game where one company or the other definitively wins or loses, but instead are forced to coexist on slightly favorable terms by virtue of what each company owns.

JordanwiththeWiz

you mad..you big mad..I’m happy..leave me alone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cod finna lose the top selling spot they been holding for a decade If they make COD Xbox exclusive. Them last cods been mid they been living on name recognition for years.

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
COD isn't staying multi-plat. They didn't pay 70 billion to keep CoD on the competitor platform. It may not be exclusive this year or even next, but it will at some point. The only way these games are ending up on Sony/Nintendo platforms for the foreseeable future is if they allow Gamepass on it. (Get ready for the price increase on that, for those singing its praises)

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I do agree with the subscription cloud stuff ultimately being the future. And I get they are making position moves.

Just if this is purely about forcing a portion of the market into their ecosystem, I'm not sure it will work.

I understand companies will make moves for marketshare over profit sometimes, like Amazon running on nothing just to take over the world.

To me it feels more like MS and Sony gaming ecosystems are starting to meld together than divide (im playing halo with my dual shock and god of war with my M/KB for instance). I'm wondering if we see a day with gamepass on sony consoles and sony's version of gamepass on PC's.

And the revenue comes from what each company offer on their respective service and not what hardware you play it on.
This

NotAnFBIagent

[redacted]
Daps
Blizzard games have lapped CoD sales multiple millions of times in the past decade, this forum is stuck in 2006 :mjlol:

Overwatch is more successful than any call of duty in history :mjlol:

If thats a shell , then what the hell is Activision :mjlol:
nikka please :mjlol:

Warzone and call of duty are in heavy rotation on my friends list

I don't know anyone who plays overwatch

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
I played street fighter on Sega and Microsoft consoles until Sony moneyhatted sf5 to be exclusive.
They been doing that

They money hatted soul calibur 3 for no reason whatsoever

This is one of the biggest moves in the industry in like 10 years. You'd be delusional to deny it :picard:
I’m gonna say it straight up is the biggest, no question

This just made the Bethesda deal look like a pre exercise stretch

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
I'm on this forum joke with some people I've joked with for years. End of the day, whatever gets said we move on to the next topic.
Sometimes, some of ya'll, take things too serious.
Ya'll get offended when the joke is on you or when an opinion isn't copied and pasted from someone else. That's what I see right through.
I don't know about everyone else, but my brain is capable of liking something for one reason and disliking that same thing for another reason.

Uh huh

I’ll be doing my own personal investigation on you buddy

it’s only so long fake thugs can pretend

JordanwiththeWiz

you mad..you big mad..I’m happy..leave me alone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Damn I didn’t know they got King and Candy Crush in the deal with that COD mobile they might takeover the micro transaction game.