Microsoft Buying Activision Blizzard.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
You're trying to shift the conversation somewhere else hence why I repeatedly say this forum and the internet in general has a knee-jerk reaction problem everytime when confronted with basic logic and questions. Like, "goal post moving" doesn't even make sense here, what goal post am I moving? This is why I don't like explaining things online because people just respond to what they feel like you're saying.

I didn't say this as if I'm unaware of acquisitions happening all the time. I'm not talking about this from a business pov. I'm just speaking about this from a gamer's pov and wanting to measure the degree of this in relation to what others quickly deflect to with the (Sony too!!) comments.

You see the consistency but you're choosing to ignore the differences which are glaringly obvious.
I'm looking at the error which is in 8k right now in this little quote but you just want to say "it's the SAAAME MAYNE!" like no, no it isn't. Sony "gobbling" up a studio that developed games for them all the time isn't the same as MSFT gobbling up a publisher. I have no beef with that as money talks, I'm just simply stating that it's disingenuous to pretend it's the same thing.

This is where the conversation gets weird and starts to get into a weird grey area.
The games peole are celebrating about being exclusive, are they Sony 1st party games or sudden games that were always third party becoming exclusive? You can peruse my posting history and you'll rarely find me saying I hope Sony buys some huge publisher that makes 3rd party games and make them exclusive.
The big games that Sony drops are almost always either classic franchises or new IPs that add to the list of dope exclusives that make the platform appealing imo.

Really? Let me ask you this, was God of War always on Xbox/Nintendo platforms? What about Uncharted? Or TLOU? Or Infamous? Or LBP? Horizon? Gran Turismo? Driveclub(lol)?

You are definitely oversimplifying things and poking fun at the situation which is funny but when someone attempts to expound on it from a gamer's pov, you get cats jumping in with business/financial rhetoric condescendingly as if they're just too stupid and blind to know what's happening. It's why I often refrain from getting too technical on here because I notice this forum(not you really) is largely inflammatory and childish.
I don't even care about this really because I play COD and 3rd party games on PC primarily and I'm a grown man with money so wherever the content is I go to. I joke and stuff from time to time but to think I'm some kid who relies on his parents to buy a console and can't afford something nice is hilarious. Again, I do not care about this as I can purchase w/e I want gaming wise.

You can't even have a normal discussion without someone accusing of you being hurt, broke, mad and or :uFURIOUS: if you simply point out something as a gamer and not from a financial pov.
*No sarcasm/jokes post
So the issue you see is that Microsoft or Sony should not acquire a business that focuses on making multiplatform games?
I'm not trying to set you up for anything. I'm legit trying to see the issue clearly...because I truly don't.
As I see it, Microsoft or Sony can/should purchase talent outside of their own camp and what they do with the team they acquire should be up to them.
I don't see the correlation with a game having always been exclusive versus a historically mulitplat gaming become exclusive in the future. To me, an exclusive is an exclusive.
I feel like you should either have an issue with exclusive or you don't.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I guess I'm so whatever about this whole situation because I own every console. :yeshrug:
It's nothing to me to play call of duty on xbox instead of playstation.
Here's the thing, we're all men with jobs right? We can afford $500 consoles with ease no? :smugfavre:
If the games you really want to play are on another console then buy the other console. (Unless Microsoft smashed your girl:comeon:. Did Microsoft smash your girl? :ohhh:)
If you don't care about those games enough to buy the other console then why complain about this to begin with?
I don't know. I'm a safe posting Sony stan that collects games more than he plays and blah blah blah right. You got it breh. :hubie:
In the meantime...I'm playing games across platforms while ya'll bicker about life being unfair.
Call of duty, a game that gets ridiculed on here quite a bit has my e-fam on 110.

I just wish they articulated better what the issue is from a monopoly point of view (if that's their contention) or just keep that Sony stan energy that I love and just say "Oh well, looks like we aren't going to see another call of duty worth playing ever again not that Microsoft is at the helm. Look at Scalebound. This whole deal is failbound!"
I own every console. Every platform. And been warning people about these corporations bullshyt since back on Sohh and nikkas would argue with me from both sides. I said it from jump. If Sony did this. I wouldn’t really be feelin it. Same way I’m not really feelin it from Microsoft. Me being a gamer since NES. And me remembering the issues people had with Microsoft coming in the gaming industry in the first place. This particular incident ain’t a nail in a coffin in many ways. But it sets a precedent that’s bad for any industry. Same way I wasn’t feeling the Disney shyt either.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I own every console. Every platform. And been warning people about these corporations bullshyt since back on Sohh and nikkas would argue with me from both sides. I said it from jump. If Sony did this. I wouldn’t really be feelin it. Same way I’m not really feelin it from Microsoft. Me being a gamer since NES. And me remembering the issues people had with Microsoft coming in the gaming industry in the first place. This particular incident ain’t a nail in a coffin in many ways. But it sets a precedent that’s bad for any industry. Same way I wasn’t feeling the Disney shyt either.

I can respect this and understand the pov

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I feel you. I don't see this as a monopoly or a threat to fair competition. Maybe I'm naive about that. That's cool, I'm capable of learning.
As far as the console war, Call of duty would be a heavy loss, diablo and overwatch could be a heavy loss depending on where you are in the world.
Those three games aren't putting Sony out of business. Also, theres a bit of "the sky is falling" here since everyone seems to be assuming these games are going exclusive. Just because Microsoft will have the power to do so doesn't mean they will. Sony is still are market leader and Microsoft is in the business of making money. I don't think they would all of a sudden alienate such a large portion of the market just to spite Sony. It'll hurt their pocket way more than it's worth. I think some people on here think these companies are run by Arcadium posters.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I can respect this and understand the pov
He definitely has a point. I don't think this situation in particular is as dire, but I get it. I've criticized Apple for years on this (even as I own an iMac, iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, iPhone, Macbook pro, airpods, and exclusively listen to Apple Music/iTunes).

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
*No sarcasm/jokes post
So the issue you see is that Microsoft or Sony should not acquire a business that focuses on making multiplatform games?
I didn't say that. I said nothing of what they should or shouldn't do as that is not my choice and I can't control that. That's their prerogative. I just simply am pointing out how historically 3rd party games becoming exclusive in the blink of an eye is not the same as games that were always exclusive from a 1st party studio.

Nobody would ask why Smash Bros or Mario Kart isn't on Playstation. Nobody would have an issue with the next Donkey Kong only being on the Switch. No one would bat an eye if Gears 6 doesn't release on Playstation. Why? Precedence.

I'm not trying to set you up for anything. I'm legit trying to see the issue clearly...because I truly don't.
As I see it, Microsoft or Sony can/should purchase talent outside of their own camp and what they do with the team they acquire should be up to them.
I don't see the correlation with a game having always been exclusive versus a historically mulitplat gaming become exclusive in the future. To me, an exclusive is an exclusive.
I feel like you should either have an issue with exclusive or you don't.
I don't really have issues with exclusives, I own all platforms that I want. I am not personally affected by this as I largely play on PC for shooters anyway. I'm just saying that a historically exclusive franchise owned by a company that's 1st party is not the same as 3rd party franchise owned by a 3rd party studio becoming 1st party overnight basically. If God of War released on Xbox tomorrow, I wouldn't care. It's on Steam now and I think that's great.

If Take Two became a Sony 1st party studio, I'd say that sucks(for gamers on Xbox/PC).

Get it? I'm not against mergers as business doesn't care about your feelings. shyt is real. I don't agree with it from a gamer's pov but it is what it is. It sets a bad precedence content wise. I just was pointing out that the "starving MSFT out of content" talking point wasn't as potent as this may be. A game being timed exclusive and/or having missing content is not the same as a franchise not ever coming back to the platforms. I think Bayonetta being a Nintendo IP sucks as that game is being limited by Nintendo's old technology but it is what it is basically.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
I feel you. I don't see this as a monopoly or a threat to fair competition. Maybe I'm naive about that. That's cool, I'm capable of learning.
As far as the console war, Call of duty would be a heavy loss, diablo and overwatch could be a heavy loss depending on where you are in the world.
Those three games aren't putting Sony out of business. Also, theres a bit of "the sky is falling" here since everyone seems to be assuming these games are going exclusive. Just because Microsoft will have the power to do so doesn't mean they will. Sony is still are market leader and Microsoft is in the business of making money. I don't think they would all of a sudden alienate such a large portion of the market just to spite Sony. It'll hurt their pocket way more than it's worth. I think some people on here think these companies are run by Arcadium posters.
And this is how I feel as well. I think Microsoft would be smarter to make money off Sony rather than alienate a whole fanbase that is technically the main fanbase. All of this shyt is about money and business. There’s contracts involved. All kinda shyt.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
He definitely has a point. I don't think this situation in particular is as dire, but I get it. I've criticized Apple for years on this (even as I own an iMac, iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, iPhone, Macbook pro, airpods, and exclusively listen to Apple Music/iTunes).
Tell that to some of these other nikkas. Lol

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All in all, Sony got what was coming to them and if not for Phil they would have been making and doing the right thing.

Once Phil said they were all in and Nadella made a whole video backing him Sony should have instantly changed gears.

They ain't have to bow down or be a punk about things but all the aggressive deals and strangle holding of multi plat games should have eased up.

Instead they doubled down

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All in all, Sony got what was coming to them and if not for Phil they would have been making and doing the right thing.

Once Phil said they were all in and Nadella made a whole video backing him Sony should have instantly changed gears.

They ain't have to bow down or be a punk about things but all the aggressive deals and strangle holding of multi plat games should have eased up.

Instead they doubled down
This largely assumes that MSFT wouldn't be purchasing studios even if Sony wasn't in the process of getting exclusivity deals/marketing.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes though so we're all speculating in the grand scheme of things. Sony could come out tomorrow and say they're purchasing Konami and this whole circus would shift gears and I'd be sitting in the cut :ninja1:.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I didn't say that. I said nothing of what they should or shouldn't do as that's my choice and I can't control that. That's their prerogative. I just simply am pointing out how historically 3rd party games becoming exclusive in the blink of an eye is not the same as games that were always exclusive from a 1st party studio.

I don't really have issues with exclusives, I own all platforms that I want. I am not personally affected by this as I largely play on PC for shooters anyway. I'm just saying that a historically exclusive franchise owned by a company that's 1st party is not the same as 3rd party franchise owned by a 3rd party studio becoming 1st party overnight basically. If God of War released on Xbox tomorrow, I wouldn't care. It's on Steam now and I think that's great.

If Take Two became a Sony 1st party studio, I'd say that sucks(for gamers on Xbox/PC).

Get it? I'm not against mergers as business doesn't care about your feelings. shyt is real. I don't agree with it from a gamer's pov but it is what it is.
But this sounds like it's based on the assumption that people can only afford one console.
I'm gonna keep it 100 with you and ya'll can call me a liar if you want.
If Playstation fell off the face of the Earth tomorrow because all the games I care about were gobbled up and made exclusive on xbox it wouldn't bother me one bit (outside of feeling nostalgic about my brand loyalty...in the grand scheme of things I wouldn't even care.)
Am I against monopolies? Absolutely.
Do I believe that competition should be as far as possible combat monopolies and better serve consumers? Absolutely.
I don't think this acquisition violates any of those things even in the doom and gloom possibility of not being able to pay COD, Diablo, or Overwatch on playstation.
Here's a genuine wish....where the hell are the NEW games!? Not the sequels. Not the reboots and remasters. BRAND NEW IP.
I refuse to believe that with all the talent in the world, COD is the only military shooter worth talking about even when sequels are complete duds.
You feel me? You know how you fight fire with fire. You (sony) let microsoft blow their load buying a company and then you (sony) go develop a game better than call of duty to make that purchase be the dumbest decision they ever made.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But this sounds like it's based on the assumption that people can only afford one console.
I'm gonna keep it 100 with you and ya'll can call me a liar if you want.
If Playstation fell off the face of the Earth tomorrow because all the games I care about were gobbled up and made exclusive on xbox it wouldn't bother me one bit (outside of feeling nostalgic about my brand loyalty...in the grand scheme of things I wouldn't even care.)
Am I against monopolies? Absolutely.
Do I believe that competition should be as far as possible combat monopolies and better serve consumers? Absolutely.
I don't think this acquisition violates any of those things even in the doom and gloom possibility of not being able to pay COD, Diablo, or Overwatch on playstation.
Here's a genuine wish....where the hell are the NEW games!? Not the sequels. Not the reboots and remasters. BRAND NEW IP.
I refuse to believe that with all the talent in the world, COD is the only military shooter worth talking about even when sequels are complete duds.
You feel me? You know how you fight fire with fire. You (sony) let microsoft blow their load buying a company and then you (sony) go develop a game better than call of duty to make that purchase be the dumbest decision they ever made.
Same. If the same guys are making the games with creative control, TLOU part 3 being published on Xbox would be a nightmare I'd want to wake out of lol but it is what it is.

I was playing God of War on PC the other day and I'm like this is funny, just 5 years ago this would've gotten laughed at if someone suggested it here.

Though what you said about the new IP being better than COD? Possible. If you told me a few years ago that a game with simple 3d graphics with people building fortresses and shooting it out on a huge battlefield would have the gaming world in a frenzy I'd laugh at you.

Time will tell...

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
This largely assumes that MSFT wouldn't be purchasing studios even if Sony wasn't in the process of getting exclusivity deals/marketing.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes though so we're all speculating in the grand scheme of things. Sony could come out tomorrow and say they're purchasing Konami and this whole circus would shift gears and I'd be sitting in the cut :ninja1:.
This is true, and huge assumption a lot of us are making. But I can't help but think this is in part due to Sony's aggressiveness. I hated what they pulled with Destiny. And I say this as someone who played that game exclusively on PS4.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

True, about the purchasing part. But I believe Phil is open to kumbaya like relationships. But you're right we don't know for sure..

Not really, almost every single big dev and publisher outside of namco and really Capcom lean towards PS exclusivity. Sony buying anyone but a handful of companies really isn't a big get for them in the grand scheme as far as pulling in more people.

On top of that it would just mean more 70 dollar games exclusive to PS instead of more " for free day 1 games for game pass"

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven