Microsoft / Activision Deal Leaves Sony Stans in Shambles | M$ Wins Fight Against FTC

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I’m not sure how that’s an L for Sony, if Xbox were serious about trying to not be In 3rd place they woulda just told Sony to fukk off and make COD exclusive
Console war been over.

This deal gives sony more competition from multiple angles.

The more popular and stacked Gamepass becomes the more sony fans are gonna be wondering why sony can’t match a similar program.

The more people get comfortable with cloud gaming, the more they get comfortable with NOT buying a playstion.

COD on switch gives playstation cod players more options to consider.

Microsoft is reaching for a paradigm shift in what “success” is in the industry.

This is why sony fought against this so hard. It was never really about COD, but preserving the status quo.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Who thought that after their split, them going to Activision, the year delay on destiny content coming to Xbox and the PS marketing deal?

You know microsoft has had Destiny 2 marketing deals for the past 2+ years, right? Phil Spencer has been pretty open about his love for the franchise and they were in talks with them before Sony was. I dont think there was anyone (aside from skillup) that could have saw sony owning Bungie over Microsoft.

Last edited:

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
You know microsoft has had Destiny 2 marketing deals for the past 2+ years, right? Phil Spencer has been pretty open about his love for the franchise and they were in talks with them before Sony was. I dont think there was anyone (aside from skillup) that could have saw sony owning Bungie over Microsoft.

Didn't know they reverted back in 2021. And sure, we know Phil loves Destiny.

Idk, I didn't find it as a huge shock. Their relationship didn't seem close at all anymore and it isn't surprising they were on the list either, but there is/was still heavy association with Sony when it comes to destiny.

In this scenario, it would be like MS buying SE before Sony. Possible? Sure, but I don't see it happening at all.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Didn't know they reverted back in 2021. And sure, we know Phil loves Destiny.

Idk, I didn't find it as a huge shock. Their relationship didn't seem close at all anymore and it isn't surprising they were on the list either, but there is/was still heavy association with Sony when it comes to destiny.

In this scenario, it would be like MS buying SE before Sony. Possible? Sure, but I don't see it happening at all.

I don’t think those relationships mean much when it comes to what shareholders vote on. It works for smaller devs like insomniac where sony own the majority of their IP and proprietary tech. For another studio or publishers they are going to decide where they can get the best deal, or whatever current circumstance suits their needs.

Asobo could very well end up bought by tencent, amazon, or sony, despite their 10 year deal for FS. Sony bought Nixxes while they were contractually still working on Star Citizen (and still is), same with Bungie working with NetEase. Relationships in gaming are fickle

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Got that man’s Jim Ryan kissing the rings while FTC bish Lina in the cold looking lonely

:wow:

the-godfather-the-godfather-ending.gif

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
I don’t think those relationships mean much when it comes to what shareholders vote on. It works for smaller devs like insomniac where sony own the majority of their IP and proprietary tech. For another studio or publishers they are going to decide where they can get the best deal, or whatever current circumstance suits their needs.

Asobo could very well end up bought by tencent, amazon, or sony, despite their 10 year deal for FS. Sony bought Nixxes while they were contractually still working on Star Citizen (and still is), same with Bungie working with NetEase. Relationships in gaming are fickle

You're absolutely right and that's why I mentioned the other big partners. I can definitely see tencent or Amazon snatching up a lot of people in these partnerships

Everything has gotten weird though. Between Sony releasing the budgets of their FP games and them ballooning and seeing that Sony depends on 3rd parties especially CoD to be able to fund those to MS creating the initiative, most of the team leaving because of the weird structure and the game being co-developed by eidos who is owned by Embracer.

I'm hoping both use this as an opportunity to really develop some good FP titles. I feel like both sides are weird on this. Sony is reverting back to 360 era where it was "halo/gears/Forza" to "TLoU/Horizon/GoW" and MS is just having a long time showing the fruit of their purchases labor.

But this is where niches come in and why Nintendo has always succeeded. Develop a strong first party that can't be found anywhere else that are uniquely yours.

Let call of trash stay on the system while building a rebranded (exclusive) SOCOM…

:snooze:

Lmaoooo, never gonna happen after that last fiasco. I don't even think milsims do that well on consoles, though they're in a unique opportunity to bring it back with HQ graphics and whatnot.

Too bad they immediately killed zipper even though the PSN downage and subsequent failure of the socom game wasn't their fault.

Think closing zipper, the motorstorm devs and Japan studios might bite them in the ass down the line

At least you got fairgames, that Splatoon type game, marathon and that other shooter they're making

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
the best outcome of this, and probably one a lot of 3rd party devs probably are not gonna like are the 3 platform holders pulling back on reliance on selling their games. Sony has been spending who knows how much money on marketing for COD for the past several years, they aren’t just going to throw that back to EA or Ubisoft they are probably going to use it to market their own games above 3rd parties or use it to invest in IP directly.

The best thing 3rd party publisher had going for themselves were the platform holders fighting for marketing rights but i don’t see that bread getting buttered so much anymore. Sony should have bought a huge stake in Activision years ago, im assuming this will be a major learning lesson for them

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Console war been over.

This deal gives sony more competition from multiple angles.

The more popular and stacked Gamepass becomes the more sony fans are gonna be wondering why sony can’t match a similar program.

The more people get comfortable with cloud gaming, the more they get comfortable with NOT buying a playstion.

COD on switch gives playstation cod players more options to consider.

Microsoft is reaching for a paradigm shift in what “success” is in the industry.

This is why sony fought against this so hard. It was never really about COD, but preserving the status quo.
this-guy-gets-it-nick-offerman.gif

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Lmaoooo, never gonna happen after that last fiasco. I don't even think milsims do that well on consoles, though they're in a unique opportunity to bring it back with HQ graphics and whatnot.
I’m talking complete rebrand…basically as Sony’s COD.
:yeshrug:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Amazon started dipping it's foot into gaming like 10 years ago when they snatched up double helix while they were working on Killer instinct, that's when the shift at MS started to lean toward purchases and you could tell they were on some "we need to start spending to get these Ip's and developers type tip" 2 years later they bought mojang :manny: 4 years laters they bought a dozen or so. The rest is history...

Luna is meh now but at any point that momentum could change.

Google is already heavy in mobile gaming, the attempt at a transition to console or a streaming service that is successful is only a matter of time. Stadia was a bust, but just like amazon it wouldn't take much if some higher up is passionate about gaming and decides to go all in.