Microsoft / Activision Deal Leaves Sony Stans in Shambles | M$ Wins Fight Against FTC

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Step back from the stanning and take a break y'all. It's making you look a little more crazy than normal.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Xbox was so far behind Sony that they could literally pull 2 major publishers off the market entirely and still not create enough of an imbalance to get those sorts of deals like this blocked. Saying what was essentially lobbying by a corporation to attempt to protect their overwhelming market dominance accomplished something good in a wildly imbalanced marketplace is laughable. Sony wasn't trying to protect consumers they were trying to protect the market status quo.

The same people looking at this deal and criticizing it will watch Sony buy out Xbox's marketshare on a game to get exclusive rights to it and cut them out and go oh that's fine. What Microsoft was doing was the next logical step to that. Instead of buying the exclusive rights to the milk from the farmer's cow to keep neighbors from the milk they just bought the whole farm.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I didn’t know you chose a side. I thought PC gang was just spectators.
I'm typically a spectator, but this affects PC gamers as well. I want to play games on PC day 1, and I don't like Sony taking games away from PC. I mean I have a PS5 too, but I don't want to be forced to play an inferior version because it's good for business.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm typically a spectator, but this affects PC gamers as well. I want to play games on PC day 1, and I don't like Sony taking games away from PC. I mean I have a PS5 too, but I don't want to be forced to play an inferior version because it's good for business.

A move that will most likely force Sony to try and secure even more content, yeah…

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I didn’t know you chose a side. I thought PC gang was just spectators.
I'm green team via Microsoft being PC Oriented. I come from the era of Tribes, Quake 3 Arena, Civilization, Sim City, Ultima, Grim Fandango, Thief and others. I like virtually all games but honestly, if I had my way and I might possibly do this again in the future, go all in on PC. Around 2012-2014, I was buying everything on Steam but now, if physical does go away for good, I'm back at it on Steam.

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
The get back is going to be sweet on these Fumblebots when they realize they still dead last and still fukking struggling :banderas:

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m not sure how that’s an L for Sony, if Xbox were serious about trying to not be In 3rd place they woulda just told Sony to fukk off and make COD exclusive

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I wrote about that earlier. It is a worry of mine, but I think most of the studios I like are safe (I hope...)

The studios you love are probably the most unsafe. Things like EA, Ubisoft, etc. that are huge and bloated and expensive are most likely off the table. All those smaller publishers and devs in the 500m-5b range are whats going to be scooped up.

Most people in this thread cheering for this don’t even care about Activision/blizzards games, its mostly CoD, with the odd crash bandicoot game thrown in, not actual GOTY contenders.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
The studios you love are probably the most unsafe. Things like EA, Ubisoft, etc. that are huge and bloated and expensive are most likely off the table. All those smaller publishers and devs in the 500m-5b range are whats going to be scooped up.

Most people in this thread cheering for this don’t even care about Activision/blizzards games, its mostly CoD, with the odd crash bandicoot game thrown in, not actual GOTY contenders.

They're gonna go for Square which I don't care about at all.

Asobo, IOI, CDPR are far closer to MS with MS already interested. Even Sega falls into that.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Asobo, IOI, CDPR are far closer to MS with MS already interested. Even Sega falls into that.

Lol this is playing with fire.

Everyone assumed Bungie was closer to Microsoft also, it really doesn’t mean anything at the end of the day. There’s gonna be developers and/or publishers that get bought out by the platform you like the least. All this does is make everything more accessible due to the scope of what Activision is. At this point it would be unrealistic to block any merger in the 5-10 billion range when console gaming was completely taken off the table even more this one.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
Everyone assumed Bungie was closer to Microsoft also

Who thought that after their split, them going to Activision, the year delay on destiny content coming to Xbox and the PS marketing deal?

And of course, cats out of the bag for sure but I'm not dooming any glooming. Especially over square who seems like the obvious first and biggest choice.

I think companies like embracer, Amazon, that saudia Arabia company and tencent are far more likely to start buying a lot of these midrange/lower publishers.