Michael Phelps ranked the best athlete of the 21st Century by ESPN

Is Michael Phelps the greatest athlete of the 21st Century?

• Total voters

premier58

All Star
Daps
This doesn't really have anything to do with putting down Phelps, but I wouldn't have him top 5 nor would he be the highest rated Olympian (as far as people who the height of their profession is the Olympics) on this list.

My real issue with this list is it reminds me of a similar one that came out when Brady won his last (or second to last) Super Bowl. It wasn't a list, but people calling Brady the greatest athlete of all time. A lot of people agreed, but there was a lot.of backlash over the use of the word "athlete" and that's my gripe with this list. Are we talking about careers or athleticism? It's obviously careers since Brady's unathletic ass is there, but then it just brings up semantics. "Face of Sports of the 21st century" or "Most Accomplished Athlete of the 21st Century" make this a lot easier
I dont understand why you need clarity. An athlete plays a sport, and the best is determined by what you do and how you play in that umbrella. It is obvious its not a measure of athletic talent. How is it not obvious?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I can name Ian Thorpe, Andy Peaty and that white dude who dated K-Michelle and got caught up in trouble at the Rio De Janeiro olympics but yeah you're right but that's also down to the popularity of it.

Ryan Lochte lol. Breh won 12 Olympic medals, set world records in multiple events, had his own reality show, and was such a doofus that most people are gonna remember him more for his fukkups and failures rather than his swimming.

Most people in their mid-40s or older will remember Matt Biondi too, he was a huge name in those '88 Olympics, and Mark Spitz because he was the "past great" whose name was always tied to Biondi. But that's about it. There was some giant Russian who I remember was always completely unbeatable in the sprints but it's not like I can remember the name (looked it up, it was Aleksandr Popov).

Damba

All Star
Supporter
Daps

NOBODY GIVES A fukk ABOUT SWIMMING
BUT I KNEW THEY WERE GONNA
FIND SOME WAY TO GIVE IT TO A WHITE PERSON.

SHOULDA BEEN FLOYD.

:dead:HOW THE fukk FLOYD AT 25
BEFORE PPL LIKE DIANA TAURASI?
:devil:
:evil:

Always giving themselves unearned merit
:ufdup:

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
This isn't crazy, but I would have went Tiger or Serena over him.

Rest of the list is crazy though

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Phelps has a record 28 Medals at the Olympics 23 of which are gold medals and has 26 world Championships. This across multiple Swim types and multiple distances.

If someone can point to anyone that has ever existed with 49 individual international first place finishes at the highest level of their sport globally then they can probably make a decent claim.

More kids grow up swimming than playing golf or tennis. I don't like they guy much personally but I'm not going to argue against his accomplishments.
I mean, sports like tennis or golf don't have "world championships". They have majors and they only have four a year. Phelps was winning more medals at a single world championship than a golfer or tennis player could win majors in a year, sometimes two.

That said pretty much every tournament they played every year is essentially a championship. They're facing the best in the world every time. Looking at it that way, both Serena and Tiger have much more than Phelps' 49 individual international title wins. I do realize there are non-Grand Slam tournaments that some of the best players voluntarily sit out. This isn't meant to be a 1 to 1 comparison. Just a way to compare a few hard to compare sports in terms of winning.

premier58

All Star
Daps
Why single out Brady? Im pretty sure Brady is more athletic than Woods or Phelps. He has evaded and made world class athletes,.miss

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
Why single out Brady? Im pretty sure Brady is more athletic than Woods or Phelps. He has evaded and made world class athletes,.miss
with an elite O-Line

again, it should go to single player, not someone who played for a team.

give Brady a shytty defense, and a shytty line and he aint doing shyt but getting concussed.

SImone, Tiger, Phelps, Mayweather did all of this on their own. single talent.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Athleticism the way you're talking about is difficult to define. By what criteria do you think Tiger or Phelps isn't athletic?

Phelps in his prime was training six hours a day burning 1000 calories an hour. He had to eat 10,000 calories as his normal daily diet just to maintain 8% body fat. In the 2008 Olympics, he competed in 17 races over 9 consecutive days.

Swimmers have zero margin for error - they can't gain a little bit of extra weight or slack off on game day because they're playing a weak team. They can't go out there slow and still get the win cause their o-line is giving them more than enough time. They have to be at the absolute peak, every time, because winning is measured in tenths of a second (sometimes hundredths) and if you're only at 95% that day, you will lose.

michael-phelps-200-im-mesa-2016-e1462485977219.jpg

On the other hand, this is the guy who ran a 5.24 forty at the combine and had a 24-inch vertical (and that's when he was a fringe QB candidate desperate to get drafted, it's not like he was a known quantity dogging the tests cause he didn't need them).

image-placeholder-title.webp

Of course, by mid-career he'd improved dramatically, right?

Tom%20Brady.jpg

I'm clowning, of course there were better pics and Tom Brady is a great athlete by some measures. But it's hard to arbitrarily claim he's a better athlete than Phelps just because he plays a sport that's more popular in America. Don't give me that "evading defenders" bs when he has five guys solely committed to protecting him - in any actual 1-on-1 physical competition of any sort, Brady would get destroyed by every single defender in the NFL.

Tiger Woods's training day was to run four miles, do 40 minutes of stretching, two hours of lifting, then hit balls for 2-3 hours, then practice his short game, and end the day with another four mile run. Then sometimes he would play tennis or basketball in the evenings for additional cardio. He was regularly competing at the Navy Seals BUD/S obstacle course, running the combat stress shooting course, training in combat martial arts, doing the PT Pyramid workout (one pullup, two pushups, three situps, then two, four, six, up to 10, 20, 30, then back down), running four miles at 8.5 minutes each in combat boots. Woods could bench press 255 lbs at just 6'1" 185 lbs, which is likely similar to what Brady could bench even though Brady outweighed him by 30 pounds.

This is Tiger Woods right now at 48, after all his back/knee injuries and car accidents and multi-year rehabs, and he still looks more ripped than Tom Brady did at 38.

0_Screenshot-2023-12-10-at-124509.jpg

ThaBoyBam

You don't respect your jaw!
Daps
I don’t agree but I figured he’d be up there.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
I mean how do they define best athlete? Most gifted/skilled? Most medals/championships? Biggest impact of their respective sport? A little bit of all that was forementioned?

premier58

All Star
Daps
I mean how do they define best athlete? Most gifted/skilled? Most medals/championships? Biggest impact of their respective sport? A little bit of all that was forementioned?
What you did in your sport. Its always been that way.