Michael Phelps ranked the best athlete of the 21st Century by ESPN

Is Michael Phelps the greatest athlete of the 21st Century?

• Total voters

premier58

All Star
Daps
@Professor Emeritus I had an eloborate reply written out, but it went away. Just to summarize, posting some 24 year old picture is irrelevent to the discssion. He litwrally gained like 25 lbs due to weight training from 2000 to 2001. He used to win awards for working hard in the gym as a professional football players in a lockerroom full of elite, top shelf athletes. According to Ty Law, he would hit the weight room like a lineman. This is his teammate. So obviously his training regiment was pretty strenuous to where an All Pro/Hall of Fame CB would be impressed. Brady did get drafted in another sport, too. Not that baseball is the most physically demanning, but it shows proficiency in more than one sport. Youre out here showing picture, as if thats the be all, end all. Aside from football, what other sport has Phelps or Woods shown ability at? You said NFL players would embarrass Brady in an meausurement of athleticism, no shyt. Who said Tiger or Phelps would? Youre talking about protection, like every NFL players dont play with teammates or something. I have seen Brady make many defenders miss in an open field situation, including the great Brian Urlacher. Isnt throwing a key part of being athletic?

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dominating swimming doesn't hold more weight than dominating Football, Basketball or Boxing. It just doesn't.

Brady has 7 Super Bowls in a sport where nikkas die and get CTE. Lebron went to 8 straight NBA Finals. Mayweather neutered Pacquiao's offense to the point where he landed just 81 punches out for 429.

Michael Phelps could have 123 gold medals in swimming and it still wouldn't be more impressive to me than Mayweather making ATG fighters in Canelo Alvarez and Manny Pacquaio look incapable of landing punches.
It's impressive. You just don't care about it.

The same way The Godfather is a masterpiece but the average coli breh is out here watching Tubi movies.

Daps
As someone who watches a lot of not just American but European and global sports, this obviously USA centric list is straight garbage.

Almost 70% of the list is American and 10 WNBA players are on it , which is part of the leftist PC bullshyt. That's a low level sport who nobody cares about or watches.

A truly accurate list goes as follows

(1) Lionel Messi
(2) Novak Djokovic
(3) Usain Bolt
(4) Michael Phelps
(5) Tom Brady
(6) Lebron James
(7) Sachin Tendulkar/Tiger Woods

Messi is clearly number 1. Bolt and Phelps are kind of interchangable for me. I think that's a fair enough top 7.
I don't know where to fit Tiger Woods in, probably splits with Sachin

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As someone who watches a lot of not just American but European and global sports, this obviously USA centric list is straight garbage.

Almost 70% of the list is American and 10 WNBA players are on it , which is part of the leftist PC bullshyt. That's a low level sport who nobody cares about or watches.

(1) Lionel Messi
(2) Novak Djokovic
(3) Usain Bolt
(4) Michael Phelps
(5) Tom Brady
(6) Lebron James
(7) Sachin Tendulkar

Messi is clearly number 1. Bolt and Phelps are kind of interchangable for me. I think that's a fair enough top 7.
WNBA players getting recognition is leftist?

Daps
WNBA players getting recognition is leftist?
Well yeah, most sports media leans strong to the left and the left loves to glorify the divine feminine. They deserve no attention on such a presitigous list. Not shytting on them but its just common sense.
I guess "liberal" was a more accurate word than "left"

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well yeah, most sports media leans strong to the left and the left loves to glorify the divine feminine. They deserve no attention on such a presitigous list. Not shytting on them but its just common sense.
I guess "liberal" was a more accurate word than "left"
Why don't women deserve attention on this list?

DraymondT

Superstar
Daps
Why don't women deserve attention on this list?

I don't know bout the left shyt he sayin but 10 WNBA players is insane. Top 100 athletes of the 21st century and 10% are WNBA players is retarded :mjlol:. Only an American girl power influence panel and I say that as an American would do some dumb shyt like that.

There should be a lot of Americans on the list but 60% is high. Mbappe ranked over R9, Ronaldinho, even Iniesta and Xavi and Thierry bein 3rd highest soccer player is something only an American panel would do.

Sayin shyt like Aja Wilson over Ed Reed and Ronaldinho is just goofy as shyt :heh: they shoulda done males and females separately but they doin that inclusive shyt. As great as Serena is we seen what happen when her and Venus played that random cac who wasn't even top 200 so sayin she a better tennis player than Djokovic, Federer, Nadal don't make sense.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

(1) Lionel Messi
(2) Novak Djokovic
(3) Usain Bolt
(4) Michael Phelps
(5) Tom Brady
(6) Lebron James
(7) Sachin Tendulkar/Tiger Woods

I don't know where to fit Tiger Woods in, probably splits with Sachin

Tiger is WAY more dominant than Sachin. Sachin was a stat-padder and an extremely tough wicket but he didn't dominate his sport anything like Tiger did, especially not in the 2000s. He's most legendary for career stats, not getting out, and having a massive cult fanbase in India, but Kohli is arguably better in the 2000s than Sachin was. ICC awards started in 2004, Sachin has won 1 while Kohli has won 10 and Kohli is just fundamentally a better athlete and player than Sachin was, but you can't even talk about Sachin objectively to anyone from that era because their views of him are so dominated by emotions.

Djokovic's career would look a lot different if his prime had overlapped more with Federer and Nadal. Djokovic didn't beat either one in a Grand Slam Final until Federer had already won 17 titles and Nadal had already won 10, he didn't start winning major titles until Federer was in his 30s and didn't win on clay until Nadal was in his 30s. Nadal and Federer had to go up against each other in the middle of their primes AND face prime Djokovic for the 2nd half of their careers, and still managed damn near as many titles as he did.

If you're gonna include sports like cricket and tennis and swimming and golf, then what's the point of completely excluding women from the list? Serena and Simone were far more dominant than half the men you listed.

premier58

All Star
Daps
Well in that case, Messi wins hands down.
I dont know why ppl are acting like this is a Superstars style competition, when its obviously not. Joe Frazier was.on that show and gave an atrocious account of himself. It never affected his standing as an athlete, because it is not his sport. Jason Sehorn is one of the best pure athletes that we have seen in modern times. No one would ever list him above Tiger or Montana or Gretzky because he wasnt a great player. Idk why ppl chose to single out some.