Michael Jackson wasn’t impressed by the neptunes .. He wanted the super thug sound instead.....

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
Yep

Which IS kind of crazy because MJ over those Justified beats is a fukking classic.

But just like we shouldn’t be expecting Nas to make Illmatic over and over again i’m sure MJ wasn’t trying to remake Thriller/Bad. He wanted a fresh sound.

I don’t know if “Superthug” was that sound for him though:mjlol:

Yeah, it makes sense because not every artist likes to go make the same album over and over again, and Mike seemed like the kind of guy that liked having certain sounds represent certain eras. Plus trying to make sequels/spiritual successors to albums that are so legendary must be extremely stressful because of the standard it's being held to.

To your point, imagine if Nas felt he had to make another Illmatic every time he dropped. Or Jay with Reasonable Doubt. That's probably why Dre never dropped Detox in the end and made Compton instead.

Azul

Sunkissed.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Comfort Zone
Maybe he thought it was a rehash of what he had done before?:yeshrug: The MJ influence is deeply embedded in the neptunes DNA

I had this shyt on REPEAT :ohlawd: used to annoy everyone in my dorm :mjlol:

Dunno wtf MJ was on back then those tracks were fire, and anyone listening to Justified knew it had heavy MJ influences, that shyt was literally made for MJ :mjlol:

MJ went with Rodney Jerkins and that shyt sounded wildly outdated in 01 :huhldup:

It is an inconvenient truth that the RJ produced songs like Invincible, Heartbreaker, etc. have NOT aged well.

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
He told the same story on the Howard Stern show years ago.

MJ over those "Justified" beats... :wow:

Every time I hear this story, and start pairing Justified songs with MJ's voice and ad-libs... :wow:

And that's not a knock on JT at all. As is the album is already dope but breh...if MJ was on it ...:wow:

Last edited: