Michael Jackson wasn’t impressed by the neptunes .. He wanted the super thug sound instead.....

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
I really don't know how MJ would've sounded over Dr. Dre beats. He'd need to bring something to the table that he brought for Eve's "Let Me Blow Your Mind" and Mary J's "Family Affair."

If he didn't want RnB sounding beats from the Neptunes, I don't know if he would have wanted it from Dre :jbhmm:

He fukked with G-Unit though. If he was asking for something that was in Nore's lane, Mike would have probably asked for something like 'Heat' or 'Higher' :skip:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think I figured it out. Senorita is lowkey biting Stevie Wonder...

As for SexyBack, am I reaching if I say it sounds like a sped-up version of Kiss?

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Listening to Invincible, it makes perfect sense why MJ rejected all those Neptunes beats, even though he would have sounded great over them. Michael never made the same album. Everything he ever did was supposed to be a natural progression from the last album. He was obsessed with incorporating the latest sounds, using the newest technology. It's one of the reasons he stopped working with Quincy Jones, because he felt like music was constantly evolving and Quincy wouldn't be able to keep up.

When Michael was working on Dangerous, he had a variety of different producers. One of them was Bryan Loren. The songs they worked on together were meant to bring back the R&B sound from Off the Wall, because that's the version of Michael that Loren liked the most. Once Teddy Riley got involved, Michael wasn't interested in the Loren tracks anymore and he liked that Riley wanted to come up with a new sound. That's also why L.A. Reid and Babyface were part of the Dangerous sessions. And if Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis weren't loyal to Janet, they would have started working with Michael on that album, not HIStory.

If you listen to Invincible, that "Superthug" sound is definitely there. You can hear it on the Rodney Jerkins songs and "2000 Watts." He didn't need any help with the R&B songs because he already had that taken care of. So, there wasn't anything the Neptunes could have given him to get him excited.

with all due respect to Rodney, he probably was fatigued after You Rock My World and it shows. Michael saw him as Teddy successor since Teddy mentored him.

Turning down those Justified era records gotta be the biggest Michael Jackson blunder ever since not doing a Thriller in favor of his brothers and being in a position where anyone could accuse him of anything regardless of how innocent his intentions were.

Dude could’ve locked Pharrell and Chad into a 10 year contract, got first pick of their track AND have a great co-writer in Pharrell.

Them dudes were studio junkies and workaholics and would’ve had his album done in months.

Imagine an album with 8 Neptunes tracks, 2 from Rodney, the Floetry shyt, one from Kellz and then 2 from his longtime usual suspects (Bill Bottrell and Bruce Swedien). Then spend 2 months in a bunker to get it mixed and mastered. Haven’t the creative team cooked 4 dope as videos and only release 4 fukking singles.

Do a lil promo + media tour and have a NYC residency and do another in London and then Tokyo.

The only album that Michael got done quickly was HIStory, which only took six months. By the time the Neptunes got involved, that couldn't have been any earlier than 2000 and Invincible had already been in production for a couple years.

If Sony hadn't been petty, Invincible would have had a huge promotional run. Rodney Jerkins said that Michael had big plans for the rollout. "Unbreakable" and "Threatened" were both going to get short films after becoming singles.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Listening to Invincible, it makes perfect sense why MJ rejected all those Neptunes beats, even though he would have sounded great over them. Michael never made the same album. Everything he ever did was supposed to be a natural progression from the last album. He was obsessed with incorporating the latest sounds, using the newest technology. It's one of the reasons he stopped working with Quincy Jones, because he felt like music was constantly evolving and Quincy wouldn't be able to keep up.

When Michael was working on Dangerous, he had a variety of different producers. One of them was Bryan Loren. The songs they worked on together were meant to bring back the R&B sound from Off the Wall, because that's the version of Michael that Loren liked the most. Once Teddy Riley got involved, Michael wasn't interested in the Loren tracks anymore and he liked that Riley wanted to come up with a new sound. That's also why L.A. Reid and Babyface were part of the Dangerous sessions. And if Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis weren't loyal to Janet, they would have started working with Michael on that album, not HIStory.

If you listen to Invincible, that "Superthug" sound is definitely there. You can hear it on the Rodney Jerkins songs and "2000 Watts." He didn't need any help with the R&B songs because he already had that taken care of. So, there wasn't anything the Neptunes could have given him to get him excited.

The only album that Michael got done quickly was HIStory, which only took six months. By the time the Neptunes got involved, that couldn't have been any earlier than 2000 and Invincible had already been in production for a couple years.

If Sony hadn't been petty, Invincible would have had a huge promotional run. Rodney Jerkins said that Michael had big plans for the rollout. "Unbreakable" and "Threatened" were both going to get short films after becoming singles.

Michael and his team fukked up in two ways.

They didn’t let R Kelly do more material (and this was prime Kellz) and they didn’t even give Pharrell/Chad a serious look. It’s not like the Neptunes were struggling for a break. They were pumping out tracks and Teddy could’ve/should’ve easily given them a co-sign.

an album even half produced/written by R Kelly would’ve been a beast and his work on the Isley’s 90s shyt is clear evidence.

Meanwhile, that Justified production with some flavoring from Bill Bottrell and the usual Jackson production team would’ve been flames.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York

They didn’t let R Kelly do more material (and this was prime Kellz) and they didn’t even give Pharrell/Chad a serious look. It’s not like the Neptunes were struggling for a break. They were pumping out tracks and Teddy could’ve/should’ve easily given them a co-sign.

an album even half produced/written by R Kelly would’ve been a beast and his work on the Isley’s 90s shyt is clear evidence.

Meanwhile, that Justified production with some flavoring from Bill Bottrell and the usual Jackson production team would’ve been flames.

I agree that R. Kelly should have worked with Michael more. "One More Chance" is a great song that people barely know about.

I really think Michael was concerned that he would be moving backwards if he worked with the Neptunes. You notice how he usually wanted people that could give him something he couldn't get anywhere else? Darkchild was Teddy Riley's disciple so that was a huge co-sign, and he was one of the biggest names in music at the time.

The problem is that Invincible "flopped" due to circumstances that had nothing to do with the music itself. If Michael was given the opportunity to promote the album exactly the way he wanted, and it still didn't move units like that, then it's worth a discussion. But it's hard to know whether or not Michael needed the Neptunes because after "You Rock My World," Sony pulled the plug on any more promotion.

Also, some of the Xscape songs ("Chicago," "Blue Gangsta," "Xscape") would have sounded great on Invincible.

FUN FACT: "Gone" by *NSYNC was close to becoming an MJ song. Justin Timberlake wrote it for Michael, but he either passed on it or his manager passed on it before he had a chance to hear it. Michael loved the song after hearing it and insisted that he and Justin record it together, but by that time, *NSYNC had already recorded it for their album. This is one of the things that gave Justin the confidence to eventually go solo, because Michael believed in his talent.

And what happens? He gets his hands on beats Michael passed on. :mjlol:

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Breh, I swear I was going to make this thread yesterday. Janet Jackson passed on “Slave 4 U” and Michael Jackson passed on all the Neptune’s tracks on Usher’s 8701 and Justin Timberlake’s Justified. The only Janet Jackson Neptune’s produced track was “Feel It Boy” with Beenie Man”

Can you imagine how history would’ve changed completely if they both worked with the Neptune’s? That Invincible Album would’ve gone diamond. Michael could still be alive. Janet’s nipple would’ve still never seen the light of day. That CAC Justin’s career would’ve flopped.

shyt is crazy. Michael’s management ain’t shyt.
Old head management listening to their 12 year olds and out of touch with what’s hot. This type of shyt happens every day.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Michael definitely should have had "If I could Turn Back the Hands Of Time","I Believe I Can Fly". I could imagine him killing Fiesta too:wow: