Michael B. Jordan May Direct a 3rd Creed Film

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
Movie/vibe feels so different without Rocky. And you can tell this is clearly a 1st time director unlike the last two films. Still processing.

It's better without that cac. :mjgrin:

Because Rocky was a pro-white/anti-Black propaganda franchise where Rocky is almost always paired up against and beats Black fighters in virtually every movie :mjpls:

But this film by contrast is about the Black experience with a personal conflict between the two boxers because they were best friends. So instead of a Creed or Rocky fighting some generic fighter which doesn't mean anything you have two people who've known each other since they were teenagers giving serious significance to their conflict.

Which probably explains why people liked it more.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Im probably being overly negative cause I rewatched Creed before this. But u could have swapped out MBJ for Michael Jai White and it would have felt exactly like one of his movies. Not that it aint good....should have been great tho.

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
How i rank the trilogy is:

Creed
Creed II
Creed III

In that order.

The movie wasn’t “bad.” It was actually pretty good. But compared to the previous 2 it is the weaker one. Movie was 2 hours but it sure didn’t feel like it. I lowkey feel the 3rd act felt rushed…especially the final battle.

MJB did a good job directing and I won’t be surprised if he directs another film down the line.

Majors yet again was the real star of this and the fact he got 2 movies under his belt this year that grossed millions says a lot.

Black excellence :salute:

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
read my first post in this thread. I CLEARLY stated we knew the rocky series was bullshyt. Drago would have beat Rocky to death. The new films starting with Rocky 6 and the first Creed tried to make it a little more realistic then reverted back to the fantasy shyt. It's still posted, I didn't delete it.
If anything, trying to make these movies more realistic just highlights how UNrealistic they are. The Rocky movies embraced the absurdity with open arms, so the audience just rocks with it (no pun intended). But since the Creed movies are trying to be more realistic, the obvious bullshyt parts stick out like a sore thumb.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
How i rank the trilogy is:

Creed
Creed II
Creed III

In that order.

The movie wasn’t “bad.” It was actually pretty good. But compared to the previous 2 it is the weaker one. Movie was 2 hours but it sure didn’t feel like it. I lowkey feel the 3rd act felt rushed…especially the final battle.

MJB did a good job directing and I won’t be surprised if he directs another film down the line.

Majors yet again was the real star of this and the fact he got 2 movies under his belt this year that grossed millions says a lot.

Black excellence :salute:

It should have been 3 hours
The rumored run time from a couple months ago was 2hrs 35 min+

I wonder if he panicked after seeing people knock Wakanda Forever's run time, Coogler being his boy and all.

I still think that 2hr 10+ is the sweet spot for these kind of movies. You can tell certain scenes just needed time to breathe.

I think if Coogler would have directed this it would have been the best. You can tell Mike was a first time director cause he didnt really bring the energy or feeling during the non boxing scenes.

It was him just letting Majors carry it whenever he was on screen. However, if he had that elite camera knowledge, blocking, editing and more importantly SCORE (Ludwig) then shyt would have been GOATish.

I wish MBJ directed something else first before doing this so that he wouldnt have played it so safe in the non drama scenes and at the end. For the most he relied on the actors. Phylicia Rachad big scene is great becasue of her acting, but imagine if it had time to breathe and properly paced.

JNew

Superstar
Daps
It's sad that Rocky is butthurt about not having a stake in the Rocky franchise because MBJ is really keeping his franchise alive. MBJ hasn't had a mid movie yet and by mid, I mean something as mid as Rocky 5. All of the Creed movies have packed a powerful emotional punch, with Creed I being about him proving he wasn't a mistake, and that he could live up to his father. Creed II being about him avenging the death of his father in the ring and becoming a father himself, along with Rocky mending his relationship with his own son. And Creed III being about Adonis dealing with his past as a teenager and the guilt he felt leaving Damien behind. It sounds wrong to say and maybe I relate more to Creed because I'm black but, the Rocky movies didn't touch me as much personally. They were just good for universal themes that all people love in sports movies (the underdog getting an opportunity or the underdog beating an unimaginable force, etc.) but, Creed really excels at weaving those urban fabrics into the storyline that black people resonate with.

Going on to the movie, I really felt bad for Damien. He had his entire life stripped from him over a stupid decision he made. Technically, they both made dumb decisions. Adonis chose to beat Leon up, and Damien chose to pull a gun out. Adonis got away but unfortunately Damien got locked up for years. So, I understood his anger and his sense of urgency. He don't got years to wait, he has to get it going now. And even if he does make it, he knows inside that he SHOULD have had YEARS of fighting professionally instead of wasting away in a cell.

Duke was getting on my nerves. Complete hater. You would think he would have learned after the way he hated on Adonis only for him to become one of the best boxers. Damien wasn't a "bum". He had the skillset clearly, he was just bitter, angry and institutionalized.

I did like however, how Damien was like "you learned some new moves" basically showing that Damien might've had enough in the tank to compete and might've been the better fighter as kids but, nothing compares to Adonis training professionally for decades. Damien was missing that polish.

I loved the shot of them boxing in the ring alone with no crowd, and both of them seeing each other as kids :mjcry: Reminded me of some of the guys I grew up with :mjcry: You know its a good movie when you almost want the other guy to win. I didn't give a fukk about Drago winning or Ricky Conlan winning but, I almost wanted Damien to. I honestly thought that Adonis was going to throw the fight at the end to let Damien win out of guilt and to let him get his chance. But I'm glad they didn't. One, Damien was kinda fighting dirty with Chavez because he had so much to prove in the ring and so much anger + little years left, so he wouldn't have learned anything. And two, it would have cheated Damien if Adonis gave it to him. If I was writing the script though, I would have had the fight end in a draw or win by decision/points. Have Adonis win but, have them go the entire fight. Just like Rocky and Apollo in Rocky I. That way it would have proved that Damien had the skills to hang with the best fighters even if he was raw and not as discliplined. He just got caught up in the system. The good thing is Adonis did right by his boy in the end. Damien likely got paid millions (so he's not broke) and can still fight for a few more years until he's too old to do it, so he still lived out his dream even if it wasn't what it could have been if he didn't go to prison.

Great movie.
That’s what hit home the most. Seeing your childhood friends become bitter enemies.