Mel Gibson's next movie Hacksaw Ridge will be THE WWII film (Trailer Inside)

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
White jesus will always protect the good americans in the middle of war; those evil slant eyed orientals....not so much :mjgrin:

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
just saw this movie on hbo go...was about to turn it off an hour into it but i trust @TheGodling and @FlyRy review so i stuck with it

:gladbron: the last half of the movie is 5 mics :wow: shyt was 10x better than dunkirk (which i walked out of). christopher nolan needed to do this type of war movie and not the dunkirk disaster

i don't even like the main character but the war scene that lasted 1 hour was worth it

based on a true story too

vince vaughn was pefectly cast. i smh'd when i first saw him on screen though

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
just saw this movie on hbo go...was about to turn it off an hour into it but i trust @TheGodling and @FlyRy review so i stuck with it

:gladbron: the last half of the movie is 5 mics :wow: shyt was 10x better than dunkirk (which i walked out of). christopher nolan needed to do this type of war movie and not the dunkirk disaster

i don't even like the main character but the war scene that lasted 1 hour was worth it

Half of me wants to dap this and the other half does not :nolan:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky

Nah Vince Vaughn did not look the part, something about dude looks out of place. Worthington too, the casting in the movie was decent at best. Budget was much lower than Dunkirk and it shows in certain scenes. Still a good flick tho.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Dunkirk was tense from the opening scene and not a hallmark /lifetime channel movie for the first hour. So way more consistent tonally, I'm rolling with Nolan , of course :smugnolan:

The violence was dope in this though and I do own it

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
This was a great movie...I didn't even know Mel was behind it until the end...so I was like... no wonder

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
White jesus aint protect shyt them boys was getting torn the fukk up breh :francis::russ:

This why you cant fukk with people who want to die. Japs was on one :wow:
Thats because the heard was lost at first. Then shepard billy found the holy word and guided the glorious white man to safety

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I swear to Mel's God that there's an actual scene here where Doss walks through a forest, finds a bird's feather with a big goofy grin (because he saw the nurse he likes has a book about birds), whistles a bird's tune and the bird sings back at him. Again, this is an actual scene that happens.:russ:......

in the same movie where earlier a man whistles to a bird in a forest that whistles back to him:

Finally got around to seeing the film, and I remembered your review. I basically agreed with it, but I think you picked the wrong scene to shyt on. You a city boy or something? All he did was mimic a bird call and the bird called back. People in the country who know birds do that shyt ALL the time. It ain't that hard to learn a bird call and get a bird to call back if you listen carefully and practice.

:yeshrug:

The ultra-cheese scene you shoulda shyt on was the basic training introduction. "Here's the 'teach' who goes around introducing everyone. Here's the cowboy called tex swinging a lasso. Here's the Italian from New York. Here's the Pole. Here's the good-looking guy overly obsessed with his body. Here's the alpha a$$hole who will clash with our hero. Here's the overly aggressive drill sergeant." THAT was the cheesiest, most stereotypical scene in the movie IMHO.

Craziest shyt was how the real story was almost MORE heroic than the movie. In reality they hadn't just started fighting in Okinawa, Doss had already won a Bronze Star for exceptional valor during fighting in Guam AND a Bronze Star for exceptional valor during fighting in the Philippines. When they got to Okinawa, Doss was one of the three guys who volunteered to climb the cliff and put up the cargo net that the other men all came up on. (One exaggeration in the movie - the cliff that Desmond ended up lowering those 75 guys down was only about 30' high, not 100' high like in the movie.)

CqPNh-1UMAAwLPY.jpg

That's an honest-to-God picture of Desmond Doss standing on top of Hacksaw Ridge under enemy fire. Brother just standing there. :dwillhuh:

The insane night where Doss saved 75 men after the platoon had abandoned the ridge was honest-to-God true. He stayed out there for 12 hours, through the night, saving a man every ten minutes, lowering them on ropes down that 30' high ridge. On at least two different occasions he saved men who were only 8 yards from the enemy position, on another occasion he crossed the lines by more than 200 yards to reach a wounded soldier and bring him back. His men reported that they found even Japanese soldiers with American bandages on them, although no one witnessed Doss providing care to the wounded Japanese and he never admitted it. One Japanese soldier reported afterwards that his gun kept jamming every time he tried to fire on the medic.

The craziest shyt might have been his final battle. (The scene where he kicks the grenade in the movie, which actually happened three weeks after the 75-men-saved night rather than the next day like in the movie.) This is how Desmond Doss himself recalls the grenade scene:

I saw it comin'. There was three other men in the hole with me. They were on the lower side, but I was on the other side lookin' when they threw the thing. I knew there was no way I could get at it. So I just quickly took my left foot and threw it back to where I thought the grenade might be, and throw my head and helmet to the ground. And not more than half a second later, I felt like I was sailin' through the air. I was seein' stars I wasn't supposed to be seein', and I knew my legs and body were blown up.

What happened next I just gotta copy-and-paste straight from his Medal of Honor commendation, because this shyt is so crazy that Mel Gibson couldn't include it in the movie, he figured audiences would consider it too unbelievable.
On 21 May, in a night attack on high ground near Shuri, he remained in exposed territory while the rest of his company took cover, fearlessly risking the chance that he would be mistaken for an infiltrating Japanese and giving aid to the injured until he was himself seriously wounded in the legs by the explosion of a grenade. Rather than call another aid man from cover, he cared for his own injuries and waited five hours before litter bearers reached him and started carrying him to cover. The trio was caught in an enemy tank attack and Private First Class Doss, seeing a more critically wounded man nearby, crawled off the litter and directed the bearers to give their first attention to the other man. Awaiting the litter bearers' return, he was again struck, this time suffering a compound fracture of one arm. With magnificent fortitude he bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards over rough terrain to the aid station.

:wow::wow::wow:

The shyt where soldiers went back and found his Bible for him was true too. The entire unit would done suicide missions for Doss at that point.:ohhh:

One part they didn't include was how tough his recovery was. He was in VA hospitals off-and-on for more than five years after the war, ended up 90% disabled. He caught tuberculosis in the Philippines (literally had tuberculosis in battle while he was doing all that shyt) and lost a lung and five ribs, and eventually his hearing, by the time it was all said and done.

:mjcry:

Stayed married to that girl for damn near 50 years though, and lived to 87. Only finally approved a movie about his life just two years before his death, because he wanted to be humble and truthful about it and none of the previous attempts stayed accurate enough to the story.

This society don't deserve men like him. :wow:

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
great movie ruined by religious propaganda is the best way to summarize it

How could it be "ruined" by religious propaganda when there never even would have been a movie without the religious elements? :why:

None of that movie would have even happened if that boy hadn't had really, really strong religious convictions. :blessed:

GIbson actually downplayed a lot of the religious shyt from where it could have gone. In real life the love story was a girl he met at church, she didn't become a nurse until after the war. The stuff about Desmond having the 10 Commandments hanging on his wall and vowing "Thou shall not kill" from that was 100% true, and really a bigger part of his childhood than they even played it up to be in the movie. He really did enter the military as a conscientious objector, and really did have commanding officers who tried to kick him out on multiple occasions. And the war scenes could have had more religious overtones - Gibson completely left out that Doss absolutely believed he was being protected by God the whole time and believed that that's how he survived, or that he men began to believe he was literally untouchable. He had one time where he had the chance to kill a Japanese soldier in the middle of the war, and didn't, because of his convictions. Not to mention that Gibson kept out the story of the Japanese soldier who claimed afterwards that he tried to shoot the medic multiple times but his gun jammed.

And the scene where the soldiers risked their lives to go back and get Doss's Bible from the battlefield? That happened. :dwillhuh:

Sorry, but in real life this shyt was a really, really religious story.

Hacksaw Ridge vs the True Story of Desmond Doss, Medal of Honor

That last shot on the stretcher was corny as fukk though. :mjgrin: