Meccapolis Top 100 NY Hip Hop Albums List (Full List In OP)

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Yea now why that’s not on the list, I don’t understand. Biz first album is probably the most sampled album in Hip Hop history. Also, it’s the first album I remember where all the songs were club bangers

Exactly.

Whole album was like the go-to for clubs and vocal samples. It's wild classic. Marley KILLED that on the production! It's weird when people do these lists and forget to include some of the best music ever made in this.

qnsfinest

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
He’s about to do greatest 100 NY rappers starting tomorrow. Just do 50, why bloat it with so many fillers.

Top 10 prediction? No order
Locked 8
Nas
Jay
Biggie
Ghost
Prodigy
Rakim
Krs
LL cool J

Fighting for the last 2. Guru, pun, jada, mos def, kool g

Last edited:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
He’s about to do greatest 100 NY rappers starting tomorrow. Just do 50, why bloat it with so many fillers.

Top 10 prediction? No order
Locked 8
Nas
Jay
Biggie
Ghost
Prodigy
Rakim
Krs
LL cool J

Fighting for the last 2. Guru, pun, jada, mos def, kool g
Guru is from Boston

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
That is a fire top 3.

The Infamous…

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…

Life After Death

You really could do those 3 in any order and I’m not mad.

Boo hoo Illmatic left out of the top 3.
I know numerous heads who think…….
It Was Written
>> Illmatic

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
That is a fire top 3.

The Infamous…

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…

Life After Death

You really could do those 3 in any order and I’m not mad.

Boo hoo Illmatic left out of the top 3.
I know numerous heads who think…….
It Was Written
>> Illmatic

Ready to die sounds more new york than life after death tho

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
This is a legendary thread and should be put in The Rafters, first thread I've read every single page of in a long time...

I will predict the upcoming Top 100 NY rappers thread will be just as dope. I've loved hearing all the banter from New Yorkers in here...

What this thread really highlighted to me is how much shyt varies throughout regions and eras. I'm 35, from California with mad time in the South, and I consider myself a hip hop head. Grew up on it, there's family ties (one of my aunt's was DJ Yella's manager back in the day), hip hop is a soundtrack to my life...

And yet around 20 of the entries on this list, I've never even HEARD of. Think about that, albums considered Top 100 New York drops, there's about 20 I never even heard of. Which tells me, someone who grew up on hip-hop, just how regional it still can be and certainly was...

Among the 80-ish I have heard of, I've listened to, maybe 20 of those albums? I've "heard" of mostly all the artists named, and heard some track by pretty much all artists named at some point in my life, and the way some of these artists resonate with you guys, encapsulates why this is a "New York" list. Vast majority of these nikkas had minimal motion beyond New York, and again I'm no old nigha, nor simply a hip hop casual. Maybe today I am but from the mid-90s to mid-10s I'd say I was pretty immersed in the culture...

Just an example (because I can give more based upon this thread), Mobb Deep is way more revered in New York/East Coast culture than beyond...

That's not to say we don't appreciate or respect them because we do. Most non-NY heads would tell you they are a top duo ever and rank their albums pretty highly...

But I dont think I know a single person who would rank a Mobb Deep album as #1 on any list: a NY list, a duo list, an era list, etc. We view them highly but not that damn high...

So I think it's dope and fun to see NY cats talk about the drops and artists that were important to them. It is the birthplace of The Culture. This thread is kinda inspiring me to start a passion project similar to this for LA, California, and the South 🤣...

@Don Jesus shout out to you guys and your list. I think we all can respect black folk serving up this kinda content over white owned conglomerates, so while it's definitely debatable, I respect the work!

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
You act like they not even close to Illmatic when in reality both do some things better than Illmatic.

Infamous is NOT close to Illmatic. RIP Prodigy but we’re not rewriting history to appease the dead. Prodigy in his own lifetime never thought he was better than Nas and both he and Havoc were heavily influenced by Illmatic when making the Infamous.

Only Built For Cuban Linx is the only album fukking with Illmatic. Thats is THE most cinematic rap album of all time. RZA, Rae and Ghost were all on GOD mode when making that album.

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kiss The Game Goodbye being on here at all :dead:

That album was 8 songs and a WRAP. And I bought it on release

Album was all over the place but had bangers. Those Camron albums have like 5 good songs a piece

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Infamous is NOT close to Illmatic. RIP Prodigy but we’re not rewriting history to appease the dead. Prodigy in his own lifetime never thought he was better than Nas and both he and Havoc were heavily influenced by Illmatic when making the Infamous.

Only Built For Cuban Linx is the only album fukking with Illmatic. Thats is THE most cinematic rap album of all time. RZA, Rae and Ghost were all on GOD mode when making that album.

95 Raekwon and 95 Ghostface are not on 94 Nas level as a lyricist either, but song for song Infamous/OB4CL are on Illmatics level.