Meccapolis Top 100 NY Hip Hop Albums List (Full List In OP)

Budda

Superstar
Daps
You can make an album that was heavily inspired by something else and do some things better. I know I play Infamous more than Illmatic :yeshrug:

Infamous is a classic but it sounds like far more formulaic than Illmatic, the production is less diverse. The lyrics are more basic with less layers, to me its clear Illmatic is better but to each there own.

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
Redman should be on here since Westside Gunn is...

This list is heavily era-dependent, 63% of this list came in a decade stretch from 1987 to 1997. Which, a ton of people call that the golden age of hip hop, not sure I agree, but it probably is the golden era for New York rap regardless...

Not doubting what you're saying about Mobb in France, but domestically they don't carry that kinda weight in the South or on the West Coast. They just don't, and I grew up in the era right after their heights...

I never knew anyone who was a big Mobb Deep head. We knew who there were (how couldn't you if you're my age and coming into junior high circa 2000?). But wasn't no one going around playing Mobb like that and they weren't topics of discussion to any major degree...

I knew more about them from Jay dissing P in Takeover than any of their work...

So you're probably right but my point stands that culturally, they didn't have the same impact in other US regions. And I think we all recognize that there are different cultural impacts in terms of what's impacting street trends and industry trends. Ruff Ryders had more support than Mobb and it's not like I knew a ton of people listening to them, either...

I'm only talking about their ny and overseas influence, of course in the south and la they weren't that huge, and that's ok, their music was pure east coast grimy music.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Infamous is a classic but it sounds like far more formulaic than Illmatic, the production is less diverse. The lyrics are more basic with less layers, to me its clear Illmatic is better but to each there own.
Nonsensical critiques. :francis:

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
IWW had great beat selection.

You giving so much credit to this white lady is laughable, she did what A and Rs are supposed to do, she was no executive producer on the album though. Many of the producers on the album already had relationships with young Nas, i think three were from Queens one from QB himself.

Nas followed up Illmatic with another album in your top 20 list, so i don't know what you mean by beat selection went downhill, when he made another classic two years later.

Yeah the making of backstories always interesting and one common theme is, you always got multiple smart and talented people guiding the process. Same way having people at the label that's incompetent or don't understand the artist vision can fukk up a project. Only thing that actually matter is the music.

Funny thing is Mobb Deep trajectory from Infamous to Infamy is very similar to Nas from Illmatic to Nastradamus.

Illmatic and Infamous their consensus best projects and all time classics.

IWW and Hell On Earth classic follow ups that some fans prefer over the debut.

I Am and Murda Muzik both albums quality got hurt by heavy bootlegging before release, both still good albums with iconic songs that was well received in real time, but seen as a step down.

Nastradamus and Infamy both substandard and disappointing albums that someone in management or at the label should have hit the :whoa: on.

Difference is Nas had a major resurgence with the Stillmatic, Lost Tapes, God's Son run but Mobb never really recovered critically or commercially.

So I don't subscribe to this idea that Mobb Deep was some visionaries while Nas just got lucky to have smart A&R. That require you to ignore that Mobb debut was a critical and commercial dud. And it wasn't on some trying to appease the label and be commercial shyt like you saw with RZA. They had Premier and Large Pro and a very street oriented sound, it just wasn't that good. But two years later they geniuses with no help and guidance? Come on now.

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Potna finna be mad about Slick Rick, lol.

HE WAS BORN IN ENGLAND!!

MF DOOM born in the UK
Grand Puba was born in New Orleans
Heavy D was born in Jamaica
I didn’t know about Puba and Heavy D. When did they come to NY?
Rick and Doom came over as teenagers/adults if I’m not mistaken.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I'm only talking about their ny and overseas influence, of course in the south and la they weren't that huge, and that's ok, their music was pure east coast grimy music.
No doubt. My initial point was that this thread just underscored how many artists and albums yall view highly there, aren't seen in the same light in other US areas...

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
No doubt. My initial point was that this thread just underscored how many artists and albums yall view highly there, aren't seen in the same light in other US areas...

And that was a good thing when the music use to reflected the place/scene you were from, have only a local succes is not a bad thing. cats like YG is huge in la, not some much else were

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Potna finna be mad about Slick Rick, lol.

HE WAS BORN IN ENGLAND!!

MF DOOM born in the UK
Grand Puba was born in New Orleans
Heavy D was born in Jamaica

Premier from Texas too. But Gang Starr on the list multiple times :patrice:

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Infamous is NOT close to Illmatic. RIP Prodigy but we’re not rewriting history to appease the dead. Prodigy in his own lifetime never thought he was better than Nas and both he and Havoc were heavily influenced by Illmatic when making the Infamous.

Only Built For Cuban Linx is the only album fukking with Illmatic. Thats is THE most cinematic rap album of all time. RZA, Rae and Ghost were all on GOD mode when making that album.
The Infamous was more influential to me than Illmatic.

Illmatic was an epic B-Boy album.

The Infamous… was an epic Corner Boy album.

Both wildly influential. To me The Infamous was the album that had me thinking at 15 years old that this was the realest album of all-time. Never identified with any album to that level prior. To your point, only about 4 months later OB4CL dropped and totally shut shyt down! The only difference to me from those two street records is that The Infamous came first & I had 4 months to digest before OB4CL hit the streets!