Meccapolis Top 100 NY Hip Hop Albums List (Full List In OP)

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Going through the releases from 79 to about 2002 on Wikipedia, I gotta say this list is pretty solid when it comes to important, influential, classic, popular in NY, type records. (which record does what is up to Don Jesus to specify)

Also, Wikipedia shows how much hip hop explodes over the years in terms of albums and geographical diversity, but also how unconnected album releases ares to the Billboard charts...

What I would add
  • Das Efx
  • Biz Markie
  • One of X-Clan/Brand Nubian/Puba - 91-92 - All that Black Power stuff was all over Flatbush and BK in general. Black Bart T-shirts, Leather African Pendants, etc. Something in addition to PE.
  • Beatnuts - either the EP or Street Level
  • Salt and Pepa/Mc Lyte (instead of either Kim or Foxy - who are basically the same archetype, imo)
  • Diamond D (swap with Lord Finesse) - 1st album
What I would take off
  • One of those Busta records
  • Internal Affairs and Stress Extinction Agenda
  • Lord Finesse
  • One of them Queensbridge Cats
  • One of the LL albums (he's got 4....but arguably Greatest of All Time...hmmm(c) Arsenio))
  • Gravediggaz (and sub in ODB for their record)
Records that stick out to me
  • All the DMX/Ruff Ryders/Lox Stuff - that's when I started to stop buying wax every Tuesday/getting my promos.
  • MF DOOM - Strictly for heads
  • Westside Gunn/Roc Marciano - throwback
  • Camp Lo - they got 1 song tbh. I mean you could throw Digable in here
  • Mos Def/Black Star - Did this really hit the people, the G's, or just the heads
  • Heavy D - one of the few "having fun" type records - though I think he's better known at this point for his moves behind the scenes.
    • No Kid N Play, Kwame, Rob Base, Biz (see above),
  • 2nd Onyx Album - Although I kinda know this was way more important in NYC than it was anywhere else. (might be the same with those QB records tbh)

Cormega shouldn't be on there at all. You have to be a real hip-hop head 2 even know who he is. And not for nothing he's not nice.

Theres a long list of better NYC rappers.

He's not even top tier in QB.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Shook Ones part II being in 8 mile really took it to the next level.

not even trying to be funny.

illmatic or Ob4CL didn't have that transcend generations effect.

The Infamous instantly got new legs from being in 8 mile.
Wtf is 8 miles? That's not necessary.
Illmatic became a tour in 2020's..Anniversary is like a rebirth..
Cuban Linx is the Greatest duo Hip Hop album ever.
Infamous is a Queensbridge classic..but not topping illmatic, purple tape or even liquid swords..how can an album with 2 great monumental joints and rest with cool to good songs be number 1?

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Wtf is 8 miles? That's not necessary.
Illmatic became a tour in 2020's..Anniversary is like a rebirth..
Cuban Linx is the Greatest duo Hip Hop album ever.
Infamous is a Queensbridge classic..but not topping illmatic, purple tape or even liquid swords..how can an album with 2 great monumental joints and rest with cool to good songs be number 1?

I'm not disagreeing.....I'm just saying that truth be told the infamous has impacted more generations from being in a movie.

It is what it is. OB4CL one of my favorite albums of all time; GFK one of my favorite rappers.

It may not matter 2 you and I; but it does matter when you transcend generations for these placements.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
I'm not disagreeing.....I'm just saying that truth be told the infamous has impacted more generations from being in a movie.

It is what it is. OB4CL one of my favorite albums of all time; GFK one of my favorite rappers.

It may not matter 2 you and I; but it does matter when you transcend generations for these placements.
wu tang (rae & ghost) and Nas have impacted generations reason why they are selling out arenas and stadiums in 2022-2024 in US, Europe..mobb deep is doing clubs or small venues when they were doing live gigs before and after 8 mile..so this is just some revisionist bullshyt..
and some instagram hip hop outlet called Meccolopis announces their top NY 100 we all come in unison and agree/ NAAAW..

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Wow. That’s a wild take. So you don’t even consider Infamous to be a bonafide classic?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

8 Mile came out 7 years after Shook Ones. That movie is 22 years old at this point. Obviously it did introduce the song to a younger generation, but the timeless quality of the song is the most important factor in the position it holds today.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Cormega shouldn't be on there at all. You have to be a real hip-hop head 2 even know who he is. And not for nothing he's not nice.

Theres a long list of better NYC rappers.

He's not even top tier in QB.

One of the issues with the list is that it's album focused - which is

1) Rockist? - Rolling Stone type analysis that is focused on albums.

When hip hop is very much a singles driven genre. The album is basically the cash in for the single. It's how they monetize the love for the hit, imo.

And before it was singles it was who was actually rocking a crowd during the genesis.

A lot of those early records are not cohesive bodies of work, but collections of songs made without the purpose of an album in mind.

Whoever said that Paid in Full has some filler tracks - they get what I mean intrinsically.

2) Albums also mean the culture vetted through "the industry". And the industry in NYC is full of mass media/Madison avenue types. Would Low End Theory be rated so highly if the powers that be didn't cut Georgie Porgie?

If you did this list for Houston, 100 albums would be all independent or mixtapes - and most of the time what moves the city are singles and specific tracks.

If this was done for dancehall, you could barely even start.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
wu tang (rae & ghost) and Nas have impacted generations reason why they are selling out arenas and stadiums in 2022-2024 in US, Europe..mobb deep is doing clubs or small venues when they were doing live gigs before and after 8 mile..so this is just some revisionist bullshyt..
and some instagram hip hop outlet called Meccolopis announces their top NY 100 we all come in unison and agree/ NAAAW..
Wu was a massive commercial success and cultural phenomenon during their run. Nas reached levels of commercial success Mobb never got close to. So wouldn’t you expect them to do bigger venues? In spite of that, Infamous outstreams OBFCL and Illmatic (Illmatic may have recently pulled ahead). There’s just something special and timeless with that album.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Wow. That’s a wild take. So you don’t even consider Infamous to be a bonafide classic?
Yes, personally it created a new sound and a queensbridge movement..but the entire LP for me is not on par with illmatic, cuban, liquid swords for sure..if they put Infamous as number 5, 4 or maybe 3 ill be more happy.
Remind me where they put Hell on Earth because that is probably my favourite mobb album and one of the greatest LP of 1996..that was a special LP.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
8 Mile came out 7 years after Shook Ones. That movie is 22 years old at this point. Obviously it did introduce the song to a younger generation, but the timeless quality of the song is the most important factor in the position it holds today.

It did.....introduce it you a younger generation....but iite

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Yes, personally it created a new sound and a queensbridge movement..but the entire LP for me is not on par with illmatic, cuban, liquid swords for sure..if they put Infamous as number 5, 4 or maybe 3 ill be more happy.
Remind me where they put Hell on Earth because that is probably my favourite mobb album and one of the greatest LP of 1996..that was a special LP.
Ok. I would have no issue with Infamous being somewhere in the top 5, or even ten, when you get to that level of excellence, it does boil down to personal preference to a large degree.
HOE was #8 and the highest ranked 96 album on the list.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York

No doubt; one of mines didn't start digging for the Wu until the show on HULU me and wifey watch. caught a few episodes then got into them like that.

Wu was already commercially done when I became a mega Stan. Supreme clientele made me the ultimate fan when it dropped.

you see the thing is people get exposed to shyt for different reasons. Its not a diss and I feel like people taking it that way.

You're in complete denial to say a major motion picture placement doesn't get you exposure to a wider audience for whatever reason.