Meccapolis Top 100 NY Hip Hop Albums List (Full List In OP)

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
I don’t see how OBFCL had more creative production than Infamous. I can post the sample breakdowns for Shook Ones and Survival of the Fittest, but I know you’ve seen them. I’m not saying OBFCL wasnt doing similar shyt, I just don’t know how you get to more creative.
Unique is subjective.
I might give you varied, but I prefer albums with a consistent feel. LAD has more varied production than both. Entertaining is subjective.

Rae wasn’t better than P. That’s crazy.

Definitely not knocking OBFCL. It’s my #3 all time album.

It's all subjective, just explaining my POV. Not mad at anyone preferring The Infamous.

When I say more creative, it's not just production, it's the total package. The cinematic quality. The way Rae and Ghost styles feed off and elevate each other. It's got all the soul and grit, but more humor and energy.

To me Cuban Linx do the grimy, moody shyt on just as high a level, like Knowledge God, Verbal Intercourse, Wu Gambinos. Introspective and soulful tracks like Heaven & Hell, So Simple Remix, Rainy Dayz. But the more energetic, uptempo bangers like Criminology, Incarcerated Scarfaces, Glaciers of Ice, Spot Rusherz that ain't really there to that degree on Infamous. Not to mention grimy yet fly tracks like Ice Water and Ice Cream.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
The people who work for Meccapolis are not Hipster casuals. If they were hipster casuals than Illmatic would be #1 and the list would be more predictable

This is the list for people who get their opinion on music that dropped before they were born, online.

Like I said, hipster casuals. Posers.

You don’t exclude bonafide NY classic albums like Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop, if you were there when it dropped. For the people that were actually there, there's just certain sh*t you know should be on there. Having mid albums ahead of classics and just not even including all-time classics in a Top 100 list shows that these people were not there.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
This is the list for people who get their opinion on music that dropped before they were born, online.

Like I said, hipster casuals. Posers.

You don’t exclude bonafide NY classic albums like Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop, if you were there when it dropped. For the people that were actually there, there's just certain sh*t you know should be on there. Having mid albums ahead of classics and just not even including all-time classics in a Top 100 list shows that these people were not there.

Nah this is oldhead rhetoric that makes 0 sense and “being there” is an overstated irrelevant variable in the grand scheme of things because nobody had to be there to understand “Thriller” because it’s accepted and heralded as a classic timeless album that transcends time.

Dudes saying “you had to be there” is just a copout and it’s played

Stunts Blunts and Hip Hop is a great album that barely has any skips and is Diamond D’s production magnum opus

That being said its impact is minimal, kids today do not really know about the album, and while Diamond D is not a bad rapper at all, he isn’t exactly a lyricist that’s worth writing home about

You and the dudes around your age hold it up as a classic because you were there so you have a very sentimental and biased view on it. But one of the problems in hip hop is that yall never learned how to take that sentiment and translate it to younger audiences, because you’re too busy saying “yall don’t know shyt about this” or “yall too young” to them. Instead of actually educating them or creating platforms to make younger people take interest in gems like that album. Yall (not particularly you) have a bitterness about yall against young people that many of yall refuse to admit and it’s weird

The reason LL’s albums resonates more with the young crowd than Diamond D is bc LL made sure to always do anthems with newer artists at the end of his albums (4321, I shot Ya). Diamond D didn’t really do this as much nor did he really care to ensemble up with the younger rap audience which is why a lot of young kids do not know who he is

I personally play “I Went For Mine” every week. And everytime I do somebody I’m with says “that sounds like Busta Rhymes New York shyt”. They have no clue Diamond D did it first

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
That being said its impact is minimal, kids today do not really know about the album,

You gotta drop this line of logic. There's a ton of albums on this list that "kids" don't really know. (and what kids are we even talking about?)

Potna above had never heard of Mantronix...

And Kids today might know MF DOOM, but I could not call up any of my family in NYC, in the trenches, and they'd know any of Dumile's Fondle 'Em singles.

I doubt that they'd even remember KMD, or think highly of 3rd Bass, even if they were instrumental in the careers of Nas or DOOM

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Ahhhh, you never been to The Tunnel on Sunday?

:ufdup:

Da Dirty 30 is a bonafide NYC classic. WSG is my dude, but he shouldn't be on there. No Griselda should.

Nah I just missed the tunnel. I use to beg to go tho and bro wouldn't let me :russ:

I still got that funk flex tunnel tape laying around somewhere tho :wow:

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Nah this is oldhead rhetoric that makes 0 sense and “being there” is an overstated irrelevant variable in the grand scheme of things because nobody had to be there to understand “Thriller” because it’s accepted and heralded as a classic timeless album that transcends time.

Dudes saying “you had to be there” is just a copout and it’s played

Stunts Blunts and Hip Hop is a great album that barely has any skips and is Diamond D’s production magnum opus

That being said its impact is minimal, kids today do not really know about the album, and while Diamond D is not a bad rapper at all, he isn’t exactly a lyricist that’s worth writing home about

You and the dudes around your age hold it up as a classic because you were there so you have a very sentimental and biased view on it. But one of the problems in hip hop is that yall never learned how to take that sentiment and translate it to younger audiences, because you’re too busy saying “yall don’t know shyt about this” or “yall too young” to them. Instead of actually educating them or creating platforms to make younger people take interest in gems like that album. Yall (not particularly you) have a bitterness about yall against young people that many of yall refuse to admit and it’s weird

The reason LL’s albums resonates more with the young crowd than Diamond D is bc LL made sure to always do anthems with newer artists at the end of his albums (4321, I shot Ya). Diamond D didn’t really do this as much nor did he really care to ensemble up with the younger rap audience which is why a lot of young kids do not know who he is

I personally play “I Went For Mine” every week. And everytime I do somebody I’m with says “that sounds like Busta Rhymes New York shyt”. They have no clue Diamond D did it first

I'm not an old head. There's just certain sh*t you should know in Hip Hop.

Really, nobody 19-22 years old can make an all-time list of NY classics. They're getting their "opinions" based on what they're seeing online and what people are telling them should be on there. So you're speaking impact, but you can't do that honestly if you were not there in real-time! We all know that.

Bro, you just said the impact for Stunts, Blunts and Hip Hop was "minimal", yet every "super" producer who grew up in the 90's, like Pharrell, Kanye, Dilla, Just Blaze and mad others all cite SBHH as being wild influential to them. When I read sh*t like "the impact was minimal" for an album that every Hip Hop head knows is one of the best ever, I don’t even know how to respond to sh*t like that. The internet is a weird ass place. HAHA!!

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
You gotta drop this line of logic. There's a ton of albums on this list that "kids" don't really know. (and what kids are we even talking about?)

Potna above had never heard of Mantronix...

And Kids today might know MF DOOM, but I could not call up any of my family in NYC, in the trenches, and they'd know any of Dumile's Fondle 'Em singles.

I doubt that they'd even remember KMD, or think highly of 3rd Bass, even if they were instrumental in the careers of Nas or DOOM

Kids might not remember Mantronix but they know shyt mantronix PAVED THE WAY for. That album puts NYC in the conversation of house music influenced Hip Hop. So it has to be included

Diamond D (or his debut album for that matter) did not actually impact anything. If he never existed Hip Hop generally would be the same. And that is not a shot to him

You’re taking one of the points I made and overarching too much. The albums that kids don’t remember on this list has either had impact or it was an album that was flawless or had a domino effect in hip hop

Kids might not listen to Paid In Full but most kids are fans of at least 5 people who Rakim forefathered

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Nah I just missed the tunnel. I use to beg to go tho and bro wouldn't let me :russ:

I still got that funk flex tunnel tape laying around somewhere tho :wow:

It wasn't that easy to get in back then at our age, if you weren't a chick or well known. You kinda had to just hope you'd be able to stroll in smooth and be alright, lol.

But CRU was in heavy rotation at The Tunnel. Those joints with the LOX, Black Rob, Slick Rick, and "Pronto" were CRAZY on the system in there! For a couple years, they played them in there nonstop. That's what made me buy the album.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I don’t see how OBFCL had more creative production than Infamous. I can post the sample breakdowns for Shook Ones and Survival of the Fittest, but I know you’ve seen them. I’m not saying OBFCL wasnt doing similar shyt, I just don’t know how you get to more creative.
Unique is subjective.
I might give you varied, but I prefer albums with a consistent feel. LAD has more varied production than both. Entertaining is subjective.

Rae wasn’t better than P. That’s crazy.

Definitely not knocking OBFCL. It’s my #3 all time album.

Yea I don't get it either. They different flavors and nothing else sounded like either.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
I'm not an old head. There's just certain sh*t you should know in Hip Hop.

Really, nobody 19-22 years old can make an all-time list of NY classics. They're getting their "opinions" based on what they're seeing online and what people are telling them should be on there. So you're speaking impact, but you can't do that honestly if you were not there in real-time! We all know that.

Bro, you just said the impact for Stunts, Blunts and Hip Hop was "minimal", yet every "super" producer who grew up in the 90's, like Pharrell, Kanye, Dilla, Just Blaze and mad others all cite SBHH as being wild influential to them. When I read sh*t like "the impact was minimal" for an album that every Hip Hop head knows is one of the best ever, I don’t even know how to respond to sh*t like that. The internet is a weird ass place. HAHA!!

You are an oldhead you said you was there when a 1992 album dropped. That makes you an oldhead

And everybody who is in the Meccapolis team is 30 and older. You’re making assumptions

This is a Ny Hip Hop list. Not a general Hip Hop list. You named 4 producers who are not from NYC. What they was influenced by is irrelevant to the list

You’re basically overreacting that’s all. Because at the end of the day if the list was extended to 150 it’d be on there

The albums you call mid are classics to other NYC’ers. Your opinion is your opinion only. And it’s valid but this thing yall do when yall overreact as if I got an A Boogie album over a Nas album is corny. You’ll be ok

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
It wasn't that easy to get in back then at our age, if you weren't a chick or well known. You kinda had to just hope you'd be able to stroll in smooth and be alright, lol.

But CRU was in heavy rotation at The Tunnel. Those joints with the LOX, Black Rob, Slick Rick, and "Pronto" were CRAZY on the system in there! For a couple years, they played them in there nonstop. That's what made me buy the album.

I had a "chalked" ID if u not what that is, but hating ass bouncers got hip 2 that....then we got plugged in with "Real" IDs after that :wow:

Yea I was in a lot of spots early cause of my siblings....but they never gave me a tunnel pass.

shyt sounded dope but I wonder if the stories over-rated it....either way I got to experience the last tru club era so I cant complain.