Meccapolis Top 100 NY Hip Hop Albums List (Full List In OP)

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Harlem world had crazy impact, and is a great album …It deserves to be where it is

Illmatic will be 1..36 will be 2..infamous 3

But low key they may sneak get rich into top 3 just to get nikkas mad :russ:
Wrong on Illmatic, 36 and GRODT.
Your infamous prediction is still live.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I can see why they went with Murda Muzik, bigger singles, but Hell on Earth is probably the better album to me
They went with both :wow:
Let’s be honest, it would have shattered the credibility of what is now clearly the definitive list, if they wouldn’t have had HOE in the top ten.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
Yea
Nah, Low End Theory is my favorite album of all-time.

That's peak Tribe. MM was great too, but nothing beats LET in their catalogue. It's Dr. Dre's favorite Tribe album too, and what he said inspired The Chronic. When that dropped, there was nothing like that around. LET revolutionized a sound that mad others tried to copy after and couldn't get close to. Q-Tip says that's his favorite too. Even the singles on it are some of the best Hip Hop ever recorded (Check the Rhyme, Scenario, Buggin' Out, Jazz, etc.). Way too many iconic tracks on that album.
Yeah. I'm 30, but the way its been described is a legit moment in time. Love this album to the maximum (and i hope its top 5 tbh)

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Out the remaining I'm saying Cuban Linx is the best pure album, that's a masterpiece start to finish.

LAD was iconic and basically the template for every mainstream New York rap album the next half a decade. Disc one just by itself is a perfect commercial rap album, disc two more uneven but loaded with classic tracks. Guessing that's number one.

Love The Infamous, but don't see any aspect where it's a better or more original album than Cuban Linx.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
You mean besides the production and rapping?

Cuban Linx is better in both categories. More unique, more creative, more varied, more influential. And a more entertaining listen start to finish.

1993-1997 RZA the GOAT NY producer to me and this up there with his very best work. Rae at his peak was better all around than Prodigy. And Havoc versus Ghost on the mic? Not even fair.

Not knocking The Infamous. Been listening to both since they dropped, always thought Cuban Linx was better and nothing gonna change my mind on that :yeshrug:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Cuban Linx is better in both categories. More unique, more creative, more varied, more influential. And a more entertaining listen start to finish.

1993-1997 RZA the GOAT NY producer to me and this up there with his very best work. Rae at his peak was better all around than Prodigy. And Havoc versus Ghost on the mic? Not even fair.

Not knocking The Infamous. Been listening to both since they dropped, always thought Cuban Linx was better and nothing gonna change my mind on that :yeshrug:
I don’t see how OBFCL had more creative production than Infamous. I can post the sample breakdowns for Shook Ones and Survival of the Fittest, but I know you’ve seen them. I’m not saying OBFCL wasnt doing similar shyt, I just don’t know how you get to more creative.
Unique is subjective.
I might give you varied, but I prefer albums with a consistent feel. LAD has more varied production than both. Entertaining is subjective.

Rae wasn’t better than P. That’s crazy.

Definitely not knocking OBFCL. It’s my #3 all time album.

Pseudo

All Star
Daps
GRODT waay too high

I thought it was gonna be the usual

1) Illmatic
2) 36 Chambers
3) Ready to Die

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
No Beatnuts Street Level on the list is some bullshyt.

I love Hell on Earth and GRODT, but those are not Top 10 NYC albums, unless you're listening to weirdos online.

Thing is, this list was made by a team of interns who work for Meccapolis. Most of them weren't even born when these albums dropped. They're hipster casuals, and it shows. Illmatic should definitely be Top 3. And there's no way 36 Chambers ain't Top 5.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
I love Hell on Earth and GRODT, but those are not Top 10 NYC albums, unless you're listening to weirdos online.

Thing is, this list was made by a team of interns who work for Meccapolis. Most of them weren't even born when these albums dropped. They're hipster casuals, and it shows. Illmatic should definitely be Top 3. And there's no way 36 Chambers ain't Top 5.

The people who work for Meccapolis are not Hipster casuals. If they were hipster casuals than Illmatic would be #1 and the list would be more predictable