Meccapolis Top 100 New York Rappers List

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Like?
Nas has arguably the Greatest Hip Hop LP!
Rakim & Jay do not! And never well.
Nas is touring in countless global cities..
His skin tone and hair are impeccable.
"Skin tone and hair"....super gay.

Its industry fashion to cut Hov down and be like "he only has 3 classics", or no album that can be in the greatest ever album class, nikkas been saying that over 20 years...

Reasonable Doubt
In My Lifetime, Vol 1
Vol 2, Hard Knock Life
The Blueprint
The Black Album
American Gangster
Watch The Throne

The Blueprint deserves to be in the greatest album ever convo. Over half his solo discog, 7 of 13 drops, is classic material. He dropped classics at age 26 and age 47, bookended his career perfectly. The maturation of his music over 21 years of solo drops is something most these old nikkas can't do...

Had one of the greatest duo albums ever...

I'll be honest, I haven't listened to Nas' drops post Life Is Good, but up to that date I have 5 classics in 10 releases...

He's since dropped 7 more albums so he better have more classics on the resume but I know how to divide. He's dropped more albums than Hov, has a longer album-to-album career, he better have more classics. Even if he does, it isn't enough...

My time in and around New York was early 2010s, I found there to be roughly equal favor between Nas and Jay. I lived Upstate but bounced to The City a few times, and if you know Upstate you know it's FULL of City nighas, knew tons of nikkas from every borough. There was no clear favor, literally like half the nikkas I knew were Nas over Jay, the other half was Jay over Nas...

But once you leave the New York area, leave the Northeast, Jay's impact is more culturally resounding than Nas. And that's not a diss to Nas, Nas has fans in California (I'm a Nas fan myself). But where my NY experience was like 50/50 between the two, when you go around the country you find way more Jay heads, by at least a 2:1 margin...

This told me a few things. How did Hov become more popular than a guy who was instantly popular and blew up first? Ain't no industry machine mental gymnastics because The Industry been swinging off Nas nuts from Day One...

Hov had the flow, the style, the albums, the movement, the influence, and yes, in an industry that put so much credence on authenticity as hip hop, especially in they era they came up, he had THE STORY. He had the journey. Nas had both his parents and isn't a true rags to riches journey. Jay mom was a closet dyke and he had an absent father and really ran the streets in the era Nas was inside...

I can be really specific and keep going. I'm a Nas fan, like I said up until Life Is Good and he's one of my favorite and most played rappers. I would argue he's the second greatest rapper ever, regardless of city or region or era, his work is that legit. The handful of noggas I'd even entertain that distinction with him, aren't from NY, it's a LeBron/Jordan thing with these two except they from the same era and we saw them play against each other...

Jay peaked higher and had the stronger movement and is more accomplished, even if all else is equal. In a vacuum I could give Nas a slight edge in being a better pound for pound rapper but it's a slight one, The Culture really underrates Hov's abilities when Nas comes up. Nas had that Comeback Kid underdog story in his favor during they beef, it wasn't as one sided as nikkas say and it was en vogue to downplay Hov...

Having the greatest rap beef of all time elevates both. They 1 and 2, but make no mistake, it's not interchangeable. Hov is 1...

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Jay made better songs for the club :manny:

Fuhk the club.. how much time do a nygga spend in the club? Who going to clubs at over 30ish these days? Club records dont impact your life forever. Silly argument

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Rakim catalogue is mid.

I dont care who mad about it.

Ra has great impact on the game, but he never surpassed LL status. He second best in the 80s

LL impact is greater.
The club argument is wack but not for nothing I had a 33-year old woman yesterday ask me if I'd hit the club with her 🤣...

Cool James most definitely better than Rakim and I'd have him as NY #3 over Rakim and Big. Easily. Matter fact he's the only NYer I'd even consider challenging Nas, career-to-career. Nas is 2 though...
Fuhk the club.. how much time do a nygga spend in the club? Who going to clubs at over 30ish these days? Club records dont impact your life forever. Silly argument

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Slow your roll breh, it ain't that serious :pachaha:

I'm going by who had the higher highs in terms of hit singles and longevity in the game.

Everybody highs aint the same.. its too subjective when you get to a top 5

And for the record, Im not arguing the Jay ranking. Im not blind to his accomplishments. Not his, Not Nas, Not LL or Big. Those the only 4 that have a true argument with Big on the lower end of the 4 due to lack of material and longevity

Redwood

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas
Everybody highs aint the same.. its too subjective when you get to a top 5

And for the record, Im not arguing the Jay ranking. Im not blind to his accomplishments. Not his, Not Nas, Not LL or Big. Those the only 4 that have a true argument with Big on the lower end of the 4 due to lack of material and longevity

Fair point. It is factual that if Big was still alive, Jay probably wouldn't crack the top ten.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Respect Rakim a lot, definitely 1 of the GOATs but in what aspect is he better then Nas in the critera they listed?

Biggest problem with the list. Being selective when it come to the criteria. Same thing happened with the albums list.

If you apply the same logic you can use to put Jay over Nas, then Nas is comfortably ahead of Rakim. And LL is comfortably ahead of Rakim too.

Then you have BIG who is a 10/10 in the albums, impact, popularity and charisma. Even dying at 24 he got longevity, still doing big streaming numbers to this day. Based on their criteria he should be higher too.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll only say two things.

1. This proves people with knowledge of the history and the culture in hip hop can make truly A55 lists just like a rolling stones and complex. It's not as bad as theors but unfortunately it's not that far away.

2. Jay's discography has aged HORRIBLY. That alone should bar him from top 3 convos. And there isn't a credible list where he's above Nas and Big in ranking...it's not possible. He's just never been better than them. Btw also, while i'm here...OB4CL is my GOAT album but there's not a timeline where Raekwon should be ranked higher than Ghost and is ranked in the top 10.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Biggest problem with the list. Being selective when it come to the criteria. Same thing happened with the albums list.

If you apply the same logic you can use to put Jay over Nas, then Nas is comfortably ahead of Rakim. And LL is comfortably ahead of Rakim too.

Then you have BIG who is a 10/10 in the albums, impact, popularity and charisma. Even dying at 24 he got longevity, still doing big streaming numbers to this day. Based on their criteria he should be higher too.
People need to just call this list for what it is and call it a day. Doo doo, and contradictory af.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I love that shyt man cuz hell on earths sometimes my number 1 album over everything & this ep is a continuation of that:wow:. That whole sound is just crazy to me. What ppl don’t understand is this is just as much a mobb deep ep as it is noyd & they wouldn’t be shytting on it if they knew & if it was titled as such. Most ppl shytting on it cuz they never heard it without actually hearing it. On top of that big noyd and alchemist are non titled members of mobb deep.

The lox solos aren’t great…. Just cuz I’m saying that doesn’t mean that I’m shytting on kiss but facts are facts. like I’ve said before jada and styles are fukken legends but they don’t make good albums. they have cemented themselves as heavyweights but it’s not cuz of albums at all. kiss albums can’t fukk with episodes of a hustla. :aicmon:Another thing that’s funny that I just thought of is that episodes of a hustla wasn’t even finished & it’s still way better than lox solos (only talking about kiss and styles p). Think about it a ep that isn’t finished is way better than these guys fully completed full length albums. There’s no way those albums could compare to this time period for the mobb (everything from that time period is next level whether it be unreleased tracks, guest appearances, havoc beats :banderas: , albums, prodigy spazzing on every track:damn: that shyt could nvr be replicated.)🔥:bustback::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:
that shyt is real art … prime time 96 toptier shyt. And lastly jada might not have albums but he has so many dope joints from lox tracks to guest appearances to tracks spread out on his projects/albums and verses are always top tier, he’s def one of them ones when looking at the overall picture, he’s in my top 25. for guest appearances the lox is where it’s at. I don’t want the whole post to seem like I’m shytting on kiss I was just stating facts lol there’s no hate. Also I think Sheek after taxes is a good album.

And noyd ain’t no joke….

Big noyd- solo track from this ep

:banderas: :aicmon:

The Usual Suspects remix is doper…

But y’all gotta stop gassing those Mobb Deep throwaways and Noyd isn’t that nice he’s type redundant.

These songs are better than anything on that Noyd album so how is it better :heh: