Meccapolis ranks “Kings Of New York” from 1985 to 2024

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Mary J a rapper now?

wtf is this list :laff:

She was hailed the Queen of Hip Hop when she came out

Think outside the box and use your brain

Grand Puba is the only other obvious choice for 1992.

New Jersey and The West Coast had the rap game on lock but NYC had R&B on lock by way of Mary J Blige because of the hip hop influence her music tied into the soul

Its a classy way of giving her her props in the hip hop realm that she deserves

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
She was hailed the Queen of Hip Hop when she came out

Think outside the box and use your brain

Grand Puba is the only other obvious choice for 1992.

New Jersey and The West Coast had the rap game on lock but NYC had R&B on lock by way of Mary J Blige because of the hip hop influence her music tied into the soul

Its a classy way of giving her her props in the hip hop realm that she deserves

I’m sorry but you gotta get the ENTIRE fukk up outta here with that bullshyt

Pack2

..Pack2..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
There needs to be some type of reasoning or criteria for this list.
If we are doing groups, then Onyx in 1993 over A Tribe Called Quest (Midnight Marauders) and Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) doesn't make any sense.
No justification. Two of the best albums of all time came out in 1993 (Wu and Tribe) and somehow Onyx had 1993 on lock :mjlol:

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Giving 87 to LL is debatable but aight fine. Although I think both 87 and 88 go to Rakim. I was 10 and 11 during those years and Paid In Full and Follow The Leader had the streets in a frenzy. For Rakim not to have any of those 2 years is beyond insane.

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
Giving 87 to LL is debatable but aight fine. Although I think both 87 and 88 go to Rakim. I was 10 and 11 during those years and Paid In Full and Follow The Leader had the streets in a frenzy. For Rakim not to have any of those 2 years is beyond insane.
Yeah, I understand LL Cool J has Bigger and Deffer in 1987 and Mama Said Knock You Out in 1990. Peak LL. Give him 1987 and 1990.
New York Representation, impact, music quality, success: LL has that in those years at maybe a slightly higher amount than Rakim in those years. But the momentum of Rakim having Paid in Full in 1987 and then Follow the Leader 1988 makes him the top rapper in the world in 1988, let alone New York. I understand on a lot of lists Misadventure of Slick Rick is higher, but this is the King of New York, and Rakim was that in 1988.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
No justification. Two of the best albums of all time came out in 1993 (Wu and Tribe) and somehow Onyx had 1993 on lock :mjlol:
They dropped 4Q and Onyx from my understanding was the bigger phenomenon at the time with the bald heads, all black gear, they led the charge on gangsta rap starting to take over New York hip hop, they had Slam at number 4 on the Billboard 100 song has been used in countless samples, ads, movies, video games, they was actors too Strapped came out that year, they won a Soul Train award, they went Plat within the year, they were very influential kinda slept on and not talked about

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Slick Rick closed out the year with the Great Adventures…. And it carried over to the next year (89). He didn’t have the whole 88 like Ra did.

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
They dropped 4Q and Onyx from my understanding was the bigger phenomenon at the time with the bald heads, all black gear, they led the charge on gangsta rap starting to take over New York hip hop, they had Slam at number 4 on the Billboard 100 song has been used in countless samples, ads, movies, video games, they was actors too Strapped came out that year, they won a Soul Train award, they went Plat within the year, they were very influential kinda slept on and not talked about
Over Wu-Tang in 1993???

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Yea Onyx was a movement in real time. Of course Wu eventually surpassed them but Throw Ya Gunz was a hit in the streets, followed by Slam eventually being a pop hit. People forget, it took Protect Ya Neck awhile to pop. But once that and Method Man hit during that Summer, it was off to the races

Last edited: