Meccapolis ranks “Kings Of New York” from 1985 to 2024

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
No you couldn't. 50 had it 2003-07 with nobody else coming close.

I think 50 had it for most of 03 but the S. Carter and Black Album did a LOT to get Jay back in a firm position and I think 03-04 he had a piece back

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
People wanna put Nas over Jay Z for 2001 but by the same logic camron has to be over Nas for 2002

Cam and the dips had more output with the tapes and 2 big singles, but in the moment Nas was getting more attention even with not as much output. Hell they kinda got traction directly and indirectly cause of Nas

03 is when they really took off I feel

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Cam and the dips had more output with the tapes and 2 big singles, but in the moment Nas was getting more attention even with not as much output. Hell they kinda got traction directly and indirectly cause of Nas

03 is when they really took off I feel
But Camron Come home with me did more the first week, had the way bigger singles and “beat” Nas in their beef.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
by the way after like 2005 that King of New York shyt is gonna look real disputable and debatable other than Pop in 2019-20

Guaranteed we're gonna get weird shyt like Jim Jones for a hot single or A Boogie in the upcoming years

truth of the matter it was hard for someone to tick all the boxes after early 00s as NY didnt dictate the culture, and 50 kinda alienated and divided the city with the disses and it showed by 2009. Nicki was also doing a lot of pop shyt in her 2010s run its like Ja in 2000
There’s nothing weird about A boogie winning. Pop wasn’t even bigger than A boogie until he died

He should rightfully win several years any New Yorker from his generation that lived it knows that

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
But Camron Come home with me did more the first week, had the way bigger singles and “beat” Nas in their beef.
Nah. Yes 02 was a hot year for Cam. It was a rebirth in many ways via the Dipset brand and mixtapes. But he was still a contender. He wasn't bigger then Jay. Nas had bigger moments in 02 with the Summer Jam fiasco. Also Nas dropped 2 of his biggest songs that year with Made You Look and I Can (which carried into 03). Earlier that year, One Mic song and video was everywhere in the same manner Oh Boy was a hit (Only difference was Oh Boy was a club banger). The Dipset influence really took full swing in 03. I would give Cam maybe 06. In 05, I would have him 2nd under Fif.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Nah. Yes 02 was a hot year for Cam. It was a rebirth in many ways. But he was still a contender. He wasn't bigger than Jay. Nas had bigger moments in 02 with the Summer Jam fiasco. Also Nas dropped 2 of his biggest songs that year with Made You Look and I Can (which carried into 03). Earlier that year, One Mic song and video was everywhere in the same manner Oh Boy was a hit. The Dipset influence really took full swing in 03. I would give Cam maybe 06. In 05, I would have him 2nd under Fif.
In 2002 Camron Had the bigger singles than Nas, did more the first week(both albums stalled at 1 plat cert), and “beat” him in their beef. Made u Look and I can being 2 of Nas’s biggest songs doesn’t mean they were in the same tier as Oh Boy which was the number 2 song in the country overall

Unless you REALLY like Gods son way more than Come home with me, I don’t see his case

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN

Nas first week sales for God Son were for like 3-4 days not the full week which is why the first week numbers look off, that joint sold a mil in like a month.

In 2002 it was Jay and Nas as the top dogs. Cam was making noise but in the food chain he was a distant third to both of them that year.

Hell you could argue, Nore with his def jam debut and all those neptunes joints on the radio and tapes that spring/summer was also killing the streets and Im surprised hes not listed as a runner up.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
There’s nothing weird about A boogie winning. Pop wasn’t even bigger than A boogie until he died

He should rightfully win several years any New Yorker from his generation that lived it knows that

Its a prime example of how that King of New York title didnt have the same feel after the early 00s

A Boogie was big but he always had a ceiling even at his 2016-2017 peak.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I’m late on this but if groups are gonna be included Onyx was the best pick for 93. They owned that year. Between them and the Fab 5 they had everybody rocking baldies even if they had full hairlines
:heh:

Damn shame NJ artists can’t be included becuz if they were Redman should get a nod for 93. Matter fact Treach coulda took 91 and 92

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
In 2002 Camron Had the bigger singles than Nas, did more the first week(both albums stalled at 1 plat cert), and “beat” him in their beef. Made u Look and I can being 2 of Nas’s biggest songs doesn’t mean they were in the same tier as Oh Boy which was the number 2 song in the country overall

Unless you REALLY like Gods son way more than Come home with me, I don’t see his case
Cam should absolutely have 02. And I liked Gods Son more. But Cam became a superstar in 02. Had everybody talking about how they were a “movement” after that

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

The only reason Come Home With Me was bigger sales wise than Gods Son is because released it on a Friday to combat bootlegging. The proof of Gods Son’s popularity is the fact it went Platinum only one month after release.

Lets not forget Lost Tapes released in the same year and charted top ten with NO single or video. He also had the Illmatic to Stillmatic remix ep. The Power 105 radio rant. Features with Jada, J.Lo, Murda Inc, Scarface.

Nas on fire in 02. Not to mention the affects of the battle was more of an 02 situation than 01.

I’d argue Nas in 02 is the much clearer and better argument than Nas in 01.