Meccapolis ranks “Kings Of New York” from 1985 to 2024

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
To the dudes that are saying LL in 87 is valid, Ja rule is a perfect example of why it's not. He was huge globally and women loved him but we can all name 3-4 rappers from NYC that were bigger in the city than him. Jay vs Nas was pretty much the battle for the crown that apparently Ja Rule was wearing?

This list is straight suspect and just for engagement not accuracy and what makes it worse is the bullshyt about doing the research, preservation of the culture, old heads mad at young ones for not knowing the history yet the man couldn't be bothered to explain these choices.

@Don Jesus if you're Meccapolis just say that. The coli would actually respect you more and then you could actually explain how you came to these conclusions instead just calling nikkas old and not tapped in.

Meccapolis is a dude named Lade (his picture is pinned on the page and he’s the one who was on live with Havoc) I am
the one who helps him run the page

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
You are underestimating how huge LL Cool J was. You are literally doing exactly what @Don Jesus was talking about

But I'm not. He just wasn't considered the best in NYC. Just like Ja Rule. Ja Rule sold 4 million albums and not one person in here is trying to justify him being KONY but it's different with LL because...? Let the juelzing begin
ok, but how does this support your argument that Eric B and Rakim was bigger? LL was THAT GUY

LL-Nitro.jpg

LL-Nitro-2-1.jpg

Why would I sponsor a tour and not have my flagship artist as the headliner? That makes absolutely no sense.

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
Meccapolis is a dude named Lade (his picture is pinned on the page and he’s the one who was on live with Havoc) I am
the one who helps him run the page

Fair enough. My question is why did he/you guys not feel the need to explain or justify how you guys came to these decisions?

Daps
Still gotta go with Jay. He’s a huge force at this time as a rapper and a mogul with artists, clothing, movies, etc., moved way more copies than Ja with Vol. 3 and Dynasty, he’s feuding with Nas, he’s already been at or near the top for a few years, and he’s the better rapper

In 2000 nikkax wasn’t worried about Nas much less any whispered beef between the two. Ja had two of the biggest hits of any genre that year. The better rapper put out a forgettable album so not sure what that amounts to. In real time Jay was the undercard

Movies? lol

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
But I'm not. He just wasn't considered the best in NYC. Just like Ja Rule. Ja Rule sold 4 million albums and not one person in here is trying to justify him being KONY but it's different with LL because...? Let the juelzing begin

Why would I sponsor a tour and not have my flagship artist as the headliner? That makes absolutely no sense.

Thwy could have had their own tour..hell Salt and Peppa was taking people on tours. Male rappers

And LL was king of New York. What people aint gon do is not give him his props on that

• Dap
Reactions: ISO

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
Thwy could have had their own tour..hell Salt and Peppa was taking people on tours. Male rappers

And LL was king of New York. What people aint gon do is not give him his props on that

Because he sold a lot of records? Or because he his label had a tour that he headlined?

If that's the criteria then why don't I see you nikkas in here making a case for Mase and Ja Rule deserving the crown. When they give 69 the crown or Jim Jones the crown I don't want to see the crying.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Because he sold a lot of records? Or because he his label had a tour that he headlined?

If that's the criteria then why don't I see you nikkas in here making a case for Mase and Ja Rule deserving the crown. When they give 69 the crown or Jim Jones the crown I don't want to see the crying.

Bro.. moving past that. Ja has never in his life sniffed nowhere the accomplishments LL has. Ja caeer was done by his 4th year. LL was still going platinum til I think 2004. That damn near 20 years from his debut..dont mention them in the same breath

Yall can ride that Rakim hype train if you want.. stats show who was bigger.

Yall quick to use Jay mainstream stats over Nas.. now it dont count when its " big plate of fish, which is my favorite dish" Rakim..lol.

Yall hate to not give these superior props to Ra when his stats are mid as fuhk on the whole.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
In 2000 nikkax wasn’t worried about Nas much less any whispered beef between the two. Ja had two of the biggest hits of any genre that year. The better rapper put out a forgettable album so not sure what that amounts to. In real time Jay was the undercard

Movies? lol
Put It On Me and I Cry hit the charts during the Winter of 01. The first single off that album Between Me And You was no way bigger then Give It To Me in real time.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
Also, Big Pimpin was the biggest song Spring 00! Ja ain’t have nothing bigger then that let alone DMX Party Up that year. And y’all telling me he had the crown in 00? :russ:
Lol, exactly.

There's no criteria here. I seen this dude explain that Method Man got placed so low on all time list because while he was very talented, according to him he wasn't making enough serious music, sort of like Ludacris. Jokey jokey stuff. Which is a ridiculous claim.

But then he gives Ja Rule a king of NY nod when he was a wack nikka his entire career and nobody took his lyricism serious :dead: where is consistency???