Meccapolis ranks “Kings Of New York” from 1985 to 2024

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
id put jay at 2000 and 2001 then camron at 2002.

cam lowkey had the city with 2 monster hit singles plus come home with me, then the diplomat volume series :hubie: .

plus paid in full came out in 02 as well
Nas Stans coming for you :russ:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
He's pulling names out of his ass for the engagement. These list are his most commented post ever. Rakim the man who redefined lyricism wasn't the hottest rapper in NYC at any point? Eric B for president , My melody, and Paid in full were the all the biggest songs in the city but he wasn't bigger than LL or Slick Rick?

When the OGs were on the corners arguing who's the best MCs in the mid-late 80's it was Rakim, KRS-1, and Big Daddy Kane and Kane was fighting a battle on two fronts because people would argue that G Rap was the best rapper in the juice crew. Nobody was saying Slick Rick or LL was over any of those guys.
You are underestimating how huge LL Cool J was. You are literally doing exactly what @Don Jesus was talking about

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
breh, you could have stopped at HUGE GLOBALLY

I know Eric B and Rakim can be viewed as your favorite aesthics when it comes to Hip Hop.. but it was a reason why they were on the undercard of LL's tours. not the other way around, It wasnt even that many top tier rappers in 87..

Yeah you can’t be the king and be on the undercard of another NY rapper :russ:

yup. Gonna be a lotta repeating names/folks that cats don't like, lotta "they wasn't bumping him in the streets/clubs".

he doing 4 names for each yeah, too? :whew:

:mjlol: for real. Dude up there made a post SHOWING LL selling THREE MILLION and another poster was like ":stopitslime: that shyt don't matter I'm telling you what they was bumping when I was outside!"

JA_Carter

Superstar
Daps
Ja Rule (rightly) being the KONY for 2000 but not even making the top 100 NY rappers is crazy to me. Dude has classic albums and timeless hits

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Ja got 2000. Three huge crossover singles
Still gotta go with Jay. He’s a huge force at this time as a rapper and a mogul with artists, clothing, movies, etc., moved way more copies than Ja with Vol. 3 and Dynasty, he’s feuding with Nas, he’s already been at or near the top for a few years, and he’s the better rapper

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Run-DMC was doing unprecedented shyt. They took rap out of the tri-state area to national. Not LL.

Who was Eric B and Rakims record label? Who was LL's? That's how rap touring went in the 80's. Labels put artists together for the road tours because rap wasn't at the point where one artist could how down a legit tour by themselves. Def Jam being the only real rap focused label created a tour for LL. Why would I create a tour for my artist and not have him as the headliner?
ok, but how does this support your argument that Eric B and Rakim was bigger? LL was THAT GUY

LL-Nitro.jpg

LL-Nitro-2-1.jpg

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Ja had a greater claim to 01 or 02 than 2000. Weird placement. I'd say Jay was KONY for 00 and 01...and while he was still bigger than Nas in '02, Nas tore off his headtop and was on fire; BP2 got big sales but was considered a dud. So I'd say 2002 was a "emperor has no clothes" moment

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I'll say though - with the logic for Jada in 2004, it would make more sense to give Rakim '87 over LL

g-ice

aka #DiamondNightmare
Daps
Reppin
Bronx (Marble Hill), NY
Still gotta go with Jay. He’s a huge force at this time as a rapper and a mogul with artists, clothing, movies, etc., moved way more copies than Ja with Vol. 3 and Dynasty, he’s feuding with Nas, he’s already been at or near the top for a few years, and he’s the better rapper

Yeah, pretty sure locally Jay was much bigger here in 2000 regardless of how big Ja's singles were nationally.

And 50 easily got '04. This man managed to get Lloyd Banks and Young Buck to sell the most records from their respective regions. Unheard of shyt.