mikishere

#byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
oh yeah.. damn

my bad

still though, jay at 02 is pretty egregious, and im saying this as someone who has jay as the GOAT comfortably. bp2 was huge but it never felt like he had the city by any metric that year, especially coming off what the majority claimed was a L to nas. not to mention the fact that bp2 was also one of his worst albums. 02 is either a cam or nas year.

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
To the dudes that are saying LL in 87 is valid, Ja rule is a perfect example of why it's not. He was huge globally and women loved him but we can all name 3-4 rappers from NYC that were bigger in the city than him. Jay vs Nas was pretty much the battle for the crown that apparently Ja Rule was wearing?

This list is straight suspect and just for engagement not accuracy and what makes it worse is the bullshyt about doing the research, preservation of the culture, old heads mad at young ones for not knowing the history yet the man couldn't be bothered to explain these choices.

@Don Jesus if you're Meccapolis just say that. The coli would actually respect you more and then you could actually explain how you came to these conclusions instead just calling nikkas old and not tapped in.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I need love is what made Bigger and Deffer pop nationally which led to the sales.The demand for LL in NYC was nowhere near Eric B. and Rakim. They already had 87 in a chokehold by the time they dropped. nikkas wasn't bumping I need love and I'm bad. They were bumping Eric B is president,my melody, and paid in full.
Shouldn’t this solidify LL’s case even more because he was doing unprecedented shyt for a rapper in that time and was arguably the king in the years leading up to that

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
To the dudes that are saying LL in 87 is valid, Ja rule is a perfect example of why it's not. He was huge globally and women loved him but we can all name 3-4 rappers from NYC that were bigger in the city than him. Jay vs Nas was pretty much the battle for the crown that apparently Ja Rule was wearing?

This list is straight suspect and just for engagement not accuracy and what makes it worse is the bullshyt about doing the research, preservation of the culture, old heads mad at young ones for not knowing the history yet the man couldn't be bothered to explain these choices.

@Don Jesus if you're Meccapolis just say that. The coli would actually respect you more and then you could actually explain how you came to these conclusions instead just calling nikkas old and not tapped in.
breh, you could have stopped at HUGE GLOBALLY

I know Eric B and Rakim can be viewed as your favorite aesthics when it comes to Hip Hop.. but it was a reason why they were on the undercard of LL's tours. not the other way around, It wasnt even that many top tier rappers in 87..

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC

I know Eric B and Rakim can be viewed as your favorite aesthics when it comes to Hip Hop.. but it was a reason why they were on the undercard of LL's tours. not the other way around, It wasnt even that many top tier rappers in 87..
Yeah you can’t be the king and be on the undercard of another NY rapper :russ:

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Ja Rule was not no KONY in 2000 :camby:Yes, he was hot from 00-03. No question. But during Ja's peak popularity wise, Jay was running this shyt. 02 I'll give it to Nas based on winning the battle. And again, having a hot year as an artist doesn't mean your were the king. Kiss had a hot year in 04, but that was still in the middle of the 50 Cent era.

2000: Jay-Z
2001: Jay-Z
2002: Nas
2003: 50 Cent
2004: 50 Cent

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
Shouldn’t this solidify LL’s case even more because he was doing unprecedented shyt for a rapper in that time and was arguably the king in the years leading up to that
Run-DMC was doing unprecedented shyt. They took rap out of the tri-state area to national. Not LL.

Who was Eric B and Rakims record label? Who was LL's? That's how rap touring went in the 80's. Labels put artists together for the road tours because rap wasn't at the point where one artist could how down a legit tour by themselves. Def Jam being the only real rap focused label created a tour for LL. Why would I create a tour for my artist and not have him as the headliner?