Meccapolis ranks “Kings Of New York” from 1985 to 2024

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I’m just bringing up to speed on what you weren’t around for :russ:
I’m 44. I lived through this. It was a topic of discussion. Big rapped about it in real time.
You didn’t know that because you likely weren’t cognizant at the time. It is what it is. You could just acknowledge you were wrong and we could move on, but you’re embarrassed and lashing out.

Daps
I’m 44. I lived through this. It was a topic of discussion. Big rapped about it in real time.
You didn’t know that because you likely weren’t cognizant at the time. It is what it is. You could just acknowledge you were wrong and we could move on, but you’re embarrassed and lashing out.

Here’s where it gets good for you

Why is it LL, Rakim, Kane or Run ever acknowledged as the “King Of New York”?

It was a made up title The Source gave BIG due to to his references to the movie of the exact same name. If BIG didn’t fukk with the movie like that the headline never comes to be and this is never a thing

After BIG died it was carried on half heartedly no differently than MJ being the King Of Pop but that was BIG’s moniker more so than anything else

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Here’s where it gets good for you

Why is it LL, Rakim, Kane or Run ever acknowledged as the “King Of New York”?

It was a made up title The Source gave BIG due to to his references to the movie of the exact same name. If BIG didn’t fukk with the movie like that the headline never comes to be and this is never a thing

After BIG died it was carried on half heartedly no differently than MJ being the King Of Pop but that was BIG’s moniker more so than anything else
So we agree it was a topic of discussion when Big was alive. We agree your original post was incorrect.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
How can you call P Diddy the king of NY when he doesn't write lyrics and doesn't produce? You are rewarding a fukking hack, a culture vulture, a king of NY prize :mjlol: He's the biggest reason NY Hip Hop went downhill. Anyway, I see it's clearly made to get more clicks and forced discussions. It is what it is. Anyone can do this shyt nowadays.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Nas was number 1 on billboard 200 four weeks. No one did that in NY. The level of rapping was off the charts. Biggie didn't respond to pac while nas and qb where the only one from NY to confront death row, so no
And with all of that, Biggie was still considered the King. I’m speaking from someone who was outside in 1996. I was in the streets, I was going to the Tunnel and all the other popping clubs at the time. Yes, Nas had a great successful year. Yes he was top tier in the game at this point. But the perception, in real time, was the BIG was still number 1. You gotta remember too, 95 to 97 was the Bad Boy era. In 96, Bad Boy was the hottest label in NYC. From the clubs and radio, Bad Boy had this shyt locked down. BIG, although not dropping an album that year, Get Money Remix was being played all over Hot 97. Brooklyn’s Finest with Jay was a mixtape hit. The shyt with 112 was ringing off. Even on Lil Kim’s debut, his presence/influence was there. His top adversary in PAC was going at him (Hit ‘Em Up). The underground backpack crowd were throwing shots at him and the Bad Boy sound because it began to take over the landscape of mainstream NY Hip Hop in such a major way. His name was being ran through the rumor mill with Faith messing with his enemy. BIG and Puff were also on the now infamous Vibe magazine cover that had the title “East vs West”. So yea, Nas had a hot year. 96 Nas is my favorite era from him. IWW is in my top 3 favorite Nas albums. But BIG was still considered the King. As I said, I’m speaking as someone of age that was outside during the height of the Bad Boy era here in the tri state (NYC/Jersey) area.

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
61Q8VJt9MkL._SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Bigger and Deffer is the second studio album by American rapper LL Cool J. It was released on May 29, 1987, by Def Jam Recordings and Columbia Records1. The album was a commercial success, going triple platinum and becoming one of the most successful hip-hop albums to that point2. It showcased a young artist who was successfully elevating his game to the next level2.

I need love is what made Bigger and Deffer pop nationally which led to the sales.The demand for LL in NYC was nowhere near Eric B. and Rakim. They already had 87 in a chokehold by the time they dropped. nikkas wasn't bumping I need love and I'm bad. They were bumping Eric B is president,my melody, and paid in full.

Sweet Pea

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
I need love is what made Bigger and Deffer pop nationally which led to the sales.The demand for LL in NYC was nowhere near Eric B. and Rakim. They already had 87 in a chokehold by the time they dropped. nikkas wasn't bumping I need love and I'm bad. They were bumping Eric B is president,my melody, and paid in full.
So nikkas in NYC weren’t bumping I’m Bad, Get Down, My Rhyme Ain’t Done etc?

I’m from the West Coast so I wouldn’t know

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
And with all of that, Biggie was still considered the King. I’m speaking from someone who was outside in 1996. I was in the streets, I was going to the Tunnel and all the other popping clubs at the time. Yes, Nas had a great successful year. Yes he was top tier in the game at this point. But the perception, in real time, was the BIG was still number 1. You gotta remember too, 95 to 97 was the Bad Boy era. In 96, Bad Boy was the hottest label in NYC. From the clubs and radio, Bad Boy had this shyt locked down. BIG, although not dropping an album that year, Get Money Remix was being played all over Hot 97. Brooklyn’s Finest with Jay was a mixtape hit. The shyt with 112 was ringing off. Even on Lil Kim’s debut, his presence/influence was there. His top adversary in PAC was going at him (Hit ‘Em Up). The underground backpack crowd were throwing shots at him and the Bad Boy sound because it began to take over the landscape of mainstream NY Hip Hop in such a major way. His name was being ran through the rumor mill with Faith messing with his enemy. BIG and Puff were also on the now infamous Vibe magazine cover that had the title “East vs West”. So yea, Nas had a hot year. 96 Nas is my favorite era from him. IWW is in my top 3 favorite Nas albums. But BIG was still considered the King. As I said, I’m speaking as someone of age that was outside during the height of the Bad Boy era here in the tri state (NYC/Jersey) area.

i'm not disagreeing. this is a case of are you acknowledging the actual reigning king or the artist that got the best year. to me you still have to give it to nas just for the fact that he is the guy that started the competition for it. if he don't take 94 or 95, give him 96. He was the best rapper these three years despite biggie being more successful. And 96 was the year where him and de la soul were representative of the separation of mainstream and undergound. He was important that year

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
So nikkas in NYC weren’t bumping I’m Bad, Get Down, My Rhyme Ain’t Done etc?

I’m from the West Coast so I wouldn’t know

Not over Eric B and Rakim. You gotta understand back in the day before hip hop stations existed hip hop came on in hour blocks and two hour blocks one day a week .When Red Alert came on and when Chuck chillout and them would come on they would come out the gate with the hottest songs in NYC. They were blasting off with Eric B is president,my melody,paid in full, and the bridge is over. What was shutting the block parties down? Eric B is president, my melody, and paid in full,the bridge is over. Only way to explain LL to the modern era fan is to compare him to mase and fabulous even though he's the father of their style. He was hard enough for dudes even though. He was nice but he might've been top 5 but he was never #1

My first post in this thread I asked how can a dude not from NYC make a list like this because you gotta be outside outside in NYC to make a list like this. Man named Mary J Blige queen in 92 when Grand Puba made Tommy Hilfiger a household name. BIG having 95 is debatable because Raekwon had the summer and fall with OB4CL.