Meccapolis ranks “Kings Of New York” from 1985 to 2024

I pick shyt up
Daps
Reppin
Vixens, Mascara's, Mary-Ann's
Outsider but I would give 96 to Big too.. The Pac beef and anticipation for his next album was too much not to say.. Big and Pac were just on another level in terms of popularity

I wanna give Big 97 too but I kinda understand Diddy taking over.. No Way Out was fukking everywhere..

It's hard to argue against X for those two years.. Jay was right there with him but X :wow:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
“Your reign on the top was short like leprechauns”. Wasn’t this BIG acknowledging Nas had the crown for a time?

And as much as I hate to say it Puff’s non rapping ass was everywhere in 97. Even before BIG passed he had Can’t Nobody Hold Me Down out
Yeah he said it was short like leprauchans :lolbron: so it didn’t last a whole year

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
Although 96 was a successful/breakout year for Nas, BIG was still the top dog, without an album out. Also, he was apart of the biggest beef at the time with PAC. I say 95 & 96 goes to BIG. 97 Puff (I do agree). 98 X. 99 is Jay.

Nas was number 1 on billboard 200 four weeks. No one did that in NY. The level of rapping was off the charts. Biggie didn't respond to pac while nas and qb where the only one from NY to confront death row, so no

Daps
So break it down to me :sas1:

First off all of this shyt is hindsight 20/20.

Nobody was talking this King stuff for any of these guys within the moment. At the same time you also acknowledged who was that nikka at the time

There was no doubt nobody was bigger than Puffy in that ring leader type of way that year

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
I highly doubt the general consensus was Diddy was KONY in 97 when Biggie just dropped LAD in the beginning of the fukking year.

Stop the foolishness.
Big died on March 9th. Soon after that 'I'll Be Missing You' came out and we basically entered the Shiny Suit Era. Even Mo Money Mo Problems which was on LAD felt like an extension of Puff. He was everywhere. You could even see his influence on Jay-z (sunshine video).

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Nobody was talking this King stuff for any of these guys within the moment.
Oh you definitely weren’t cognizant back then.

biggie-the-source-magazine-covers-1.jpg