Maybe the Entertainment Industry Needs a Hard Reset (SAG Strike, Music Checks etc)

Hov

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Your anger is misdirected.
The studios and the labels hold the cards.
They choose what you see and hear in mainstream media.
The studios and labels will ignore a talented person or a great pitch in favor of someone who has "the look" or a copycat pitch of something that's already successful.
The people at studios and labels care zero about art. They only care about profit.
They don't have an original thought in their heads, but at the same time they hold the purse strings to fund projects.
The talent is the lowest on the totem pole in the entertainment world.
They're the least paid and least respected.
Yes, there needs to be a reset but it needs to be in the executive offices.
I'm not angry. Who would I be mad at?

The "art" that I love doesn't make $1billion at the box office. The art I love doesn't have $40 milion dollar actors in the movie.

If you owned a studio, are you going to put out the art people are paying to see or the subjective art that you know is good but no one is going to go see?

The traditional movie industry is dead IMO.

But this argument and strike is moreso due to streaming and content, and thats where I dont know how that is going to change, because royalties have to increase - but how? See my outline asking how.

You just did what I keep complaining about - everyone is saying "pay us more" but the industry and world and tech is different. So tell me the plan!

Daps
I'm actually a lot more aware of this than you may believe.

That's why I am asking for you to fill in the blanks for me, with real facts or concepts of how this can actually change in REAL LIFE, not "support all workers I hate greedy CEO's"

Guess what? CEOs are billion dollar companies are going to make millions. They were making it when it was fair, they will make money when shyt is not fair. Greedy billionaires exist.

Please explain this to me:

1. I am aware that only 1% of actors and actresses are actually wealthy. The rest are pretty much living check to check.

2. The way that the 99% of performers got by was by residuals from shows that were syndicated or airing somewhere, and that held them down until their next job or gig, for the most part.

3. This business model made sense, because every time say, "The Office" or "227" airs, the network is running paid commercials during that 30min/1 hour block. Since they are getting paid based on the success of the show (the more viewers, the higher the ads have will cost, the more money a show is bringing to a network), the more the residuals are broken down to actors who made that work shine. If a show like "Fresh Prince" airs for 20 years after it's off TV, great, the actors keep getting checks. If a show is forgotten and never seen again, guess what - no checks.
This model is broken because streaming is king. And the answer isn't simply, well pay the production and actors based on whats a hit on Netflix - why?
  1. People don't usually pay for a streaming service just to view one show. Sometimes they do, but for the most part, we have Netflix or Disney+ or whatever because they have content we like.

2. There are no running ads on these platforms. So, they just pay for what they want upfront, because they think it will be a hit. Remember them giving $30m to Dave Chappelle but Monique was complaining about $300k? Every deal is different, but based on how many subscribers they think you will bring. This seems to negate what I said above, but how many Dave Chappelles or NFL Quarterback Documentaries or Game of Thrones can actually say "we will bring subscribers to your platform because our shyt is globally worshipped"??

3. So, when you pitch a movie or series to be on these network, you have already produced it, and are basically selling it. Once you sold it, it's gone. What metrics are you going to use to say "hey my series or movie is on your Netflix channel for 5 years and yall went up 135% in profit so cut another check"? What if no one is watching your shyt?

4. Ok, now you say, well open up the streaming books. Well, what constitutes a watch? Because if you buy a movie ticket, thats money in the bank. If you buy a DVD, money in the bank. But what if someone was just browsing for something watch, your shyt was on it was trash, and they turned it off. A few more trash shows and guess what people say?"I am deleting this app, there's nothing good on here"

5. So, no you can't get residuals for just existing.

6. But what if your shyt is a random smash like Tiger King or Squid Game? I have no idea. But they did already pay for it in advance...

7. Shows have better leverage. Stranger Things was a hit. You dont pay me for Season 2, millions of people are going to be mad, and going to leave the platform and go wherever that show is going. What about the other 99,000 shows? These are the strikers right, the normal actors and production companies and writher that we have never heard of.
I stand by my statement about a lot of actors and actresses these days. It's harsh, but I think I may know more people in the industry than you. And it always gets me that most of these people don't really seem to be working on their craft heavy, they just be at events and auditioning but don't really be that good of a talent. I mean, we complain about that shyt all day everyday in Film Room and convos, but now we acting like we have all these thespians walking around who can't create their art. Most productions people show you that they were in or that they helped produced just honestly be stuff you never heard of and are not interested in in any way. Keep it super real bro.

I'm not pro-corporation, I am pro-reality.

These jackasses at the top who greenlit Fast and Furious 20000 are to blame for the movie industry, but now they are losing money. Little Mermaid - trash, Indiana Jones, everything. No one goes to movies anymore anyway. So, they would rather produce nothing than to keep having box office failures.

So, thats what I mean by hard reset. The shyt aint going back to the way it was. No one is giving anyone money they dont have to. They dont lose money for not producing, they lose money on producing shyt and paying people and not getting an return.

The only content that may be able to exist after this reset is actual good shyt that draws people in, with very limited streaming channels that share revenue (remember Netflix had it on lock with Hulu close, but then all these other companies (disney, peacock, etc) said "hey we can make our own channels, pull our content and make our own, and make Netflix bag" and it backfired because it is now way too much, and NO ONE IS WATCHING.

How would YOU fix this??? All these actors and actresses making YT videos but its all the same to me "pay us more, its not right"

Well, yea it's fukking not right but something gotta give, and your rent is due. When the truckers stop trucking, we dont have groceries. We dont have groceries, we riot. The union has leverage.

When "Sarahs Got a New Boyfriend Season 3" doesn't air, no one gives a shyt, and they go watch Youtube or old shyt.
All of this is good stuff.... You left out the part about how much executives made last year tho.... Pay your writers. And commercials absolutely run on these platforms. I have them pop up when I watch this shyt.

The profit sharing isn't equal, and that's the problem. Folks love to point fingers at labor but what about the c*nts that make all this fukking money. PAY YOUR PEOPLE. You can write all that out if you want but if we aint talking about proper profit share aint no point in talking :yeshrug:

The amount of people who do nothing but bootlick and go to bat for billionares is fukking absurd, but it's American programming that many of us need to break ourselves of and quickly. ALWAYS SUPPORT LABOR. It's time for the mega rich to take less

Daps
I'm not angry. Who would I be mad at?

The "art" that I love doesn't make $1billion at the box office. The art I love doesn't have $40 milion dollar actors in the movie.

If you owned a studio, are you going to put out the art people are paying to see or the subjective art that you know is good but no one is going to go see?

The traditional movie industry is dead IMO.

But this argument and strike is moreso due to streaming and content, and thats where I dont know how that is going to change, because royalties have to increase - but how? See my outline asking how.

You just did what I keep complaining about - everyone is saying "pay us more" but the industry and world and tech is different. So tell me the plan!
You keep not bringing up that the profit sharing doesn't currently make sense or work. You're absolutely just carrying water for folks like David Zaslav and Bob Iger and not even realizing it

I aint trying to hear shyt about labor having to make sacrifices when the folks up top who own 3 yachts are never to asked to do such a thing. It's fukking absurd and they wouldn't have shyt if it wasn't for labor.

Daps
These mother fukkers have gotten away with being greedy for far too long

Time is up

concise

Veteran
Daps
All of this is good stuff.... You left out the part about how much executives made last year tho....

The top 10 highest-paid Hollywood executives in the last 5 years includes:

David Zaslav, Warner Bros. Discovery Inc.: $498,915,318
Ari Emanuel, Endeavor Group Holdings Inc.: $346,935,367
Reed Hastings, Netflix: $209,780,532
Bob Iger, Walt Disney Co.: $195,092,460
Ted Sarandos, Netflix: $192,171,581
Rupert Murdoch, Fox Corp.: $174,929,867
Lachlan Murdoch, Fox Corp.: $171,359,374
Brian Roberts, Comcast Corp.: $170,158,088
Joseph Ianniello, Paramount Global: $152,793,125
Patrick Whitesell, Endeavor Group Holdings Inc.: $143,584,597

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
A lot of this stuff depends on support from the people. I’m hearing that tv is dead, streaming is taking a hit, nobody is buying albums anymore, etc. That is taking its toll on the whole industry. That on top of a lot of wack shyt being produced. I don’t think these entertainers realize that it’s not going to go back to the old days unless people at home are willing to change their patterns back. Social media stars are the ones winning now and I don’t know if they’re even getting paid correctly. I’m sure there are a bunch of people that hate this shyt, but with me growing up in the 80’s and 90’s, I’m good for life. I go back to watch shyt I grew up on way more than any of this new stuff. That’s part of the problem too,,. People would rather consume the old shyt than this new stuff. I just say good luck to the actors and writers.
Nah ceos are overpaid and everyone else is underpaid

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
These mother fukkers have gotten away with being greedy for far too long

Time is up
It’s that simple

Anyone saying otherwise is in the way

Hoping this causes a domino effect to other industries

Hov

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The top 10 highest-paid Hollywood executives in the last 5 years includes:

David Zaslav, Warner Bros. Discovery Inc.: $498,915,318
Ari Emanuel, Endeavor Group Holdings Inc.: $346,935,367
Reed Hastings, Netflix: $209,780,532
Bob Iger, Walt Disney Co.: $195,092,460
Ted Sarandos, Netflix: $192,171,581
Rupert Murdoch, Fox Corp.: $174,929,867
Lachlan Murdoch, Fox Corp.: $171,359,374
Brian Roberts, Comcast Corp.: $170,158,088
Joseph Ianniello, Paramount Global: $152,793,125
Patrick Whitesell, Endeavor Group Holdings Inc.: $143,584,597
Nah, I'm not letting you off the hook with this crybaby shyt.

I work in business and numbers all day.

The problem with a LOT of laborers is just because you work in a movie, this shyt isn't a movie.

fukk those CEOs, but in still, unless you come with a real written down plan which BOTH SIDES feel benefitted, it aint going down. It dont matter how mad you are. Being led with emotion is going to get you evicted. David Zaslav will NOT GET EVICTED and just invest in oil or something else.

So,help me here, basic math, no nuance:

160,000 actors are on strike.

11,500 writers are on strike.

Thats $171,500 people that want more pay.

David Zaslav made $500 ms last year, rounded up.

If he made $0 and gave it ALL to the strikers, each striker would have a whopping salary increase of $2,900 :francis:

Now, I did not add in all of the production crew and accountants and others that go into making a production, which would decrease this even more.

So, what are you actually asking for? David Zaslav salary is not only inconsequential, but he also started out as an attorney in the 80s, and then branched into content distribution to all forms of TV, and negotiated deals for cable.

If you want to be paid a David Z salary, I guess acting is not the way to go. This is business and they got give AF about you, just the bottom line.

When the bottom line doesn't make sense anymore, its aint happening.

Amazon workers will never ever ever make high paid salary. It sucks, but until aliens come to Earth and change our destiny, people who work in factories wont make livable wage in US.

Being a side character in a sitcom on Hulu may no longer be a job that is desirable or pays decently enough to pursue full time.

But, I keep saying - I could be wrong. But stop with the emotion and say ways the industry could change that involves actual strategy and outcomes.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
So, here's the thing.

We've trained a whole new era of young ppl to not value talent. In music, fans don't differentiate between autotune vs a Whitney Houston voice. It doesn't matter to them if you can sang vs mumble over autotune.

The bar is low.

And yeah, tv/movie wise, Netflix main goal is to produce content(i did not say GOOD content) .. The binge era has flipped everything and ppl watch entire seasons in 2-3 days vs traditionally over several months. Thus the need for constant content to keep ppl paying.

Cheese McNair

Bought it this morning, drive it like I stole it
Daps
shyt changing. My wife and I are in our 30s and we don’t watch a lot of tv and movies.

I always hear of people younger than us working 50+ hr weeks. They don’t have leisure time like that

It’s more efficient to be entertained by “tik-tok” type of content. Entertainment is slowly shifting. Eventually aspiring entertainers will no longer be trying to get auditions. They will be entertaining us thru the tik toks and that will be their career.

Kountry Wayne got a whole sitcom on FB with nothing but 3min clips with a bunch of (basically) aspiring entertainers that linked up

mykey

Superstar
Daps
Well, the “ideas” are still original for the movies, Hollywood just wants to have the same actors doing new things to hide behind very safe franchise brand names.

It does get tiring seeing an 87 year old Harrison Ford trying to do action movies though :beli:
Imagine releasing an Expendables4 in September with grandpa action figures. It's disgusting.

BlackBall

Superstar
Daps
Luckily the indie studios continue to put out quality films but most women by hear about them

Hov

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So, here's the thing.

We've trained a whole new era of young ppl to not value talent. In music, fans don't differentiate between autotune vs a Whitney Houston voice. It doesn't matter to them if you can sang vs mumble over autotune.

The bar is low.

And yeah, tv/movie wise, Netflix main goal is to produce content(i did not say GOOD content) .. The binge era has flipped everything and ppl watch entire seasons in 2-3 days vs traditionally over several months. Thus the need for constant content to keep ppl paying.
I very much agree.

The industry is suffering across the board.

Bob from Disney made 100s of ms because he made Disney hundreds of billions / but he is now close to becoming canned and career in the dirt because Disney is losing unprecedented money due to this fukk all content they have producing along with the awful Disney+ numbers.

CEOs don’t just live forever, they only live while they are producing. Y’all act like Steve Jobs didn’t get fired from the company HE started.

No one cares about no one unless the money is there brothers.

You are right about the way content is preduced. That model may need to change, even though I love binging - Succession and GOT and Better Call Saul and Snowfall were worth the wait (even though I typically waited for episodes to pile up then I would watch)

That’s one idea. It keep people on platforms longer. Thus more subscription months = more money.

Now we still have to create a path to a livable wage for the Netflix shows that aren’t performing well. And with Netflix under pressure to make money, good shows are being cut without finishing seasons, so people aren’t investing in content that has no resolution (tf I look like going 4 seasons into Snowfall and that shyt just ending with no resolution lmao)

It’s why i keep saying reset.

I’m not saying laborers or actors or producers are bad.

I’m not saying CEOs are so great and they are so smart and I love them

I’m saying the state of film and entertainment is unsustainable and broken, esp since there are no physical copies of media, no movie theatre experiences to draw people in, and limited ad opportunities (yea someone said they see ads on Peacock and Hulu but you don’t know how big the ad industry was - not only did they eat off national ad buys but also local ad buys from car dealers and lawyers and stuff, making the pot huge - now you see one or two crypto and home depot ads and back to Euphoria)

I said it 100x - feels like a hard reset to me, where this industry will almost go back to the ultra curated times of the early days of film and content production.

I’m also not saying that’s a good thing, but it decreases the talent pool but increases the pay for those that are in it.