Maybe the Entertainment Industry Needs a Hard Reset (SAG Strike, Music Checks etc)

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I did see a lot. I’m a film snob. But how does that change the real world fact that there are 1000% more tv series & movies (which means astronomically more actors, actresses, production teams and writers) since there are 20 streaming platforms with libraries of content?

Who has taken account for the fact that it is no longer “if you invest in this movie or show, we have to remove something from network or from the theatre, so it better be good” to now you can just add it to the library of the 10 million other pieces of content that exist so it’s get lost in the shuffle or goes viral like Bird Box or Tiger King?

What I’m saying is, this model is either unsustainable or the film industry is going have to accept making McDonalds minimum wage.

I don’t see how there is an in between
Right. They flooded the market but want to get mad they couldn’t make it all back.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We in the dark ages of entertainment. The writer strike is going to cripple the industry to the point they going to introduce a.I into script writing. The music industry about to get fukked up to once A.I starts fukking with the artists money. Also Gaming is going to take hit since a lot of developers be laying off employees. Inflation is only going to speed this shyt up.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
We in the dark ages of entertainment. The writer strike is going to cripple the industry to the point they going to introduce a.I into script writing. The music industry about to get fukked up to once A.I starts fukking with the artists money. Also Gaming is going to take hit since a lot of developers be laying off employees. Inflation is only going to speed this shyt up.
Actually, inflation has been deflating.

...o3

...eye see messages in music
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
dallas, tx
...oh that reminds me to remind y'all that i wrote this amazing pilot for a mini-series i'm producing.

currently i'm finishing up the treatments for a couple of fan-made music videos that i wanted to accompany it as promos.

does anyone have experience with Zhiyun gimbals for smart phones, and have any of y'all ever done rotoscope animation?

Hov

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y’all it takes 5 mins to educate yourself on this shyt.

We should ALWAYS be showing solidarity for labor. Anything other that that is fukking stupid

I'm actually a lot more aware of this than you may believe.

That's why I am asking for you to fill in the blanks for me, with real facts or concepts of how this can actually change in REAL LIFE, not "support all workers I hate greedy CEO's"

Guess what? CEOs are billion dollar companies are going to make millions. They were making it when it was fair, they will make money when shyt is not fair. Greedy billionaires exist.

Please explain this to me:

1. I am aware that only 1% of actors and actresses are actually wealthy. The rest are pretty much living check to check.

2. The way that the 99% of performers got by was by residuals from shows that were syndicated or airing somewhere, and that held them down until their next job or gig, for the most part.

3. This business model made sense, because every time say, "The Office" or "227" airs, the network is running paid commercials during that 30min/1 hour block. Since they are getting paid based on the success of the show (the more viewers, the higher the ads have will cost, the more money a show is bringing to a network), the more the residuals are broken down to actors who made that work shine. If a show like "Fresh Prince" airs for 20 years after it's off TV, great, the actors keep getting checks. If a show is forgotten and never seen again, guess what - no checks.
This model is broken because streaming is king. And the answer isn't simply, well pay the production and actors based on whats a hit on Netflix - why?
  1. People don't usually pay for a streaming service just to view one show. Sometimes they do, but for the most part, we have Netflix or Disney+ or whatever because they have content we like.

2. There are no running ads on these platforms. So, they just pay for what they want upfront, because they think it will be a hit. Remember them giving $30m to Dave Chappelle but Monique was complaining about $300k? Every deal is different, but based on how many subscribers they think you will bring. This seems to negate what I said above, but how many Dave Chappelles or NFL Quarterback Documentaries or Game of Thrones can actually say "we will bring subscribers to your platform because our shyt is globally worshipped"??

3. So, when you pitch a movie or series to be on these network, you have already produced it, and are basically selling it. Once you sold it, it's gone. What metrics are you going to use to say "hey my series or movie is on your Netflix channel for 5 years and yall went up 135% in profit so cut another check"? What if no one is watching your shyt?

4. Ok, now you say, well open up the streaming books. Well, what constitutes a watch? Because if you buy a movie ticket, thats money in the bank. If you buy a DVD, money in the bank. But what if someone was just browsing for something watch, your shyt was on it was trash, and they turned it off. A few more trash shows and guess what people say?"I am deleting this app, there's nothing good on here"

5. So, no you can't get residuals for just existing.

6. But what if your shyt is a random smash like Tiger King or Squid Game? I have no idea. But they did already pay for it in advance...

7. Shows have better leverage. Stranger Things was a hit. You dont pay me for Season 2, millions of people are going to be mad, and going to leave the platform and go wherever that show is going. What about the other 99,000 shows? These are the strikers right, the normal actors and production companies and writher that we have never heard of.
I stand by my statement about a lot of actors and actresses these days. It's harsh, but I think I may know more people in the industry than you. And it always gets me that most of these people don't really seem to be working on their craft heavy, they just be at events and auditioning but don't really be that good of a talent. I mean, we complain about that shyt all day everyday in Film Room and convos, but now we acting like we have all these thespians walking around who can't create their art. Most productions people show you that they were in or that they helped produced just honestly be stuff you never heard of and are not interested in in any way. Keep it super real bro.

I'm not pro-corporation, I am pro-reality.

These jackasses at the top who greenlit Fast and Furious 20000 are to blame for the movie industry, but now they are losing money. Little Mermaid - trash, Indiana Jones, everything. No one goes to movies anymore anyway. So, they would rather produce nothing than to keep having box office failures.

So, thats what I mean by hard reset. The shyt aint going back to the way it was. No one is giving anyone money they dont have to. They dont lose money for not producing, they lose money on producing shyt and paying people and not getting an return.

The only content that may be able to exist after this reset is actual good shyt that draws people in, with very limited streaming channels that share revenue (remember Netflix had it on lock with Hulu close, but then all these other companies (disney, peacock, etc) said "hey we can make our own channels, pull our content and make our own, and make Netflix bag" and it backfired because it is now way too much, and NO ONE IS WATCHING.

How would YOU fix this??? All these actors and actresses making YT videos but its all the same to me "pay us more, its not right"

Well, yea it's fukking not right but something gotta give, and your rent is due. When the truckers stop trucking, we dont have groceries. We dont have groceries, we riot. The union has leverage.

When "Sarahs Got a New Boyfriend Season 3" doesn't air, no one gives a shyt, and they go watch Youtube or old shyt.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That's why I am asking for you to fill in the blanks for me, with real facts or concepts of how this can actually change in REAL LIFE, not "support all workers I hate greedy CEO's"

Guess what? CEOs are billion dollar companies are going to make millions. They were making it when it was fair, they will make money when shyt is not fair. Greedy billionaires exist.

1. I am aware that only 1% of actors and actresses are actually wealthy. The rest are pretty much living check to check.

2. The way that the 99% of performers got by was by residuals from shows that were syndicated or airing somewhere, and that held them down until their next job or gig, for the most part.

3. This business model made sense, because every time say, "The Office" or "227" airs, the network is running paid commercials during that 30min/1 hour block. Since they are getting paid based on the success of the show (the more viewers, the higher the ads have will cost, the more money a show is bringing to a network), the more the residuals are broken down to actors who made that work shine. If a show like "Fresh Prince" airs for 20 years after it's off TV, great, the actors keep getting checks. If a show is forgotten and never seen again, guess what - no checks.
This model is broken because streaming is king. And the answer isn't simply, well pay the production and actors based on whats a hit on Netflix - why?
  1. People don't usually pay for a streaming service just to view one show. Sometimes they do, but for the most part, we have Netflix or Disney+ or whatever because they have content we like.

2. There are no running ads on these platforms. So, they just pay for what they want upfront, because they think it will be a hit. Remember them giving $30m to Dave Chappelle but Monique was complaining about $300k? Every deal is different, but based on how many subscribers they think you will bring. This seems to negate what I said above, but how many Dave Chappelles or NFL Quarterback Documentaries or Game of Thrones can actually say "we will bring subscribers to your platform because our shyt is globally worshipped"??

3. So, when you pitch a movie or series to be on these network, you have already produced it, and are basically selling it. Once you sold it, it's gone. What metrics are you going to use to say "hey my series or movie is on your Netflix channel for 5 years and yall went up 135% in profit so cut another check"? What if no one is watching your shyt?

4. Ok, now you say, well open up the streaming books. Well, what constitutes a watch? Because if you buy a movie ticket, thats money in the bank. If you buy a DVD, money in the bank. But what if someone was just browsing for something watch, your shyt was on it was trash, and they turned it off. A few more trash shows and guess what people say?"I am deleting this app, there's nothing good on here"

6. But what if your shyt is a random smash like Tiger King or Squid Game? I have no idea. But they did already pay for it in advance...

7. Shows have better leverage. Stranger Things was a hit. You dont pay me for Season 2, millions of people are going to be mad, and going to leave the platform and go wherever that show is going. What about the other 99,000 shows? These are the strikers right, the normal actors and production companies and writher that we have never heard of.
I stand by my statement about a lot of actors and actresses these days. It's harsh, but I think I may know more people in the industry than you. And it always gets me that most of these people don't really seem to be working on their craft heavy, they just be at events and auditioning but don't really be that good of a talent. I mean, we complain about that shyt all day everyday in Film Room and convos, but now we acting like we have all these thespians walking around who can't create their art. Most productions people show you that they were in or that they helped produced just honestly be stuff you never heard of and are not interested in in any way. Keep it super real bro.

These jackasses at the top who greenlit Fast and Furious 20000 are to blame for the movie industry, but now they are losing money. Little Mermaid - trash, Indiana Jones, everything. No one goes to movies anymore anyway. So, they would rather produce nothing than to keep having box office failures.

So, thats what I mean by hard reset. The shyt aint going back to the way it was. No one is giving anyone money they dont have to. They dont lose money for not producing, they lose money on producing shyt and paying people and not getting an return.

The only content that may be able to exist after this reset is actual good shyt that draws people in, with very limited streaming channels that share revenue (remember Netflix had it on lock with Hulu close, but then all these other companies (disney, peacock, etc) said "hey we can make our own channels, pull our content and make our own, and make Netflix bag" and it backfired because it is now way too much, and NO ONE IS WATCHING.

How would YOU fix this??? All these actors and actresses making YT videos but its all the same to me "pay us more, its not right"

Well, yea it's fukking not right but something gotta give, and your rent is due. When the truckers stop trucking, we dont have groceries. We dont have groceries, we riot. The union has leverage.

When "Sarahs Got a New Boyfriend Season 3" doesn't air, no one gives a shyt, and they go watch Youtube or old shyt.

How is it any different than music streaming services or youtube? They pay out royalties to creators and labels just fine.

Netflix and these streaming services have all the analytics and know how often their shows are watched.

Hov

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How is it any different than music streaming services or youtube? They pay out royalties to creators and labels just fine.

Netflix and these streaming services have all the analytics and know how often their shows are watched.
They are not paying “just fine” at all: Musicians Say Streaming Doesn’t Pay. Can the Industry Change? (Published 2021)

Also, it takes less people to make a song than it does to make a tv show or movie. So split those payments that would go to 10 people and divide it by say, 100 people…

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK

Whilst I agree that streaming services should pay out for film/TV like they do for music, it creates the same problem that exists in the music industry, which is “How much is a stream worth?”

Considering the fact that most of these studios now own their own streaming platforms, there would an issue regarding the transparency of how much money is being generated and how much the actors/writers should be getting paid.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They are not paying “just fine” at all: Musicians Say Streaming Doesn’t Pay. Can the Industry Change? (Published 2021)

Also, it takes less people to make a song than it does to make a tv show or movie. So split those payments that would go to 10 people and divide it by say, 100 people…

That's simply not true. Artist and labels are making more money than ever with streaming. You literally have major label artist that cant sell any physical records or sell out shows still having successful careers off streaming alone (viral tik toks, youtube etc.).

Hov

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's simply not true. Artist and labels are making more money than ever with streaming. You literally have major label artist that cant sell any physical records or sell out shows still having successful careers off streaming alone (viral tik toks, youtube etc.).
You’re wrong.

The actual steaming platforms (Spotify, Tidal, Apple) are not paying anything worthwhile. Hence artists are mad. You can literally Google this now.

You just negated your own statement.

The artist is getting paid so low, they are resorting to social media, which helps them get brand deals and sponsorships, club appearances, and live shows where they make more money from touring or clubs than they ever would from streaming.

If a artist had to rely on streams they would be working at Amazon.

What does TikTok and YT have to do with getting paid off their music? You’re basically agreeing with me that the industries themselves don’t pay, so these people have to get paid off of things that aren’t their work on focus on brand and influencer stuff.

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City

:whoo:

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You’re wrong.

The actual steaming platforms (Spotify, Tidal, Apple) are not paying anything worthwhile. Hence artists are mad. You can literally Google this now.

You just negated your own statement.

The artist is getting paid so low, they are resorting to social media, which helps them get brand deals and sponsorships, club appearances, and live shows where they make more money from touring or clubs than they ever would from streaming.

If a artist had to rely on streams they would be working at Amazon.

What does TikTok and YT have to do with getting paid off their music? You’re basically agreeing with me that the industries themselves don’t pay, so these people have to get paid off of things that aren’t their work on focus on brand and influencer stuff.

You are clearly clueless on how musicians and artist get paid.. tik tok and youtube pay out royalties just like spotify and Tidal. There are artist with careers off tik tok royalties alone. Thats why you hear about artist making "tik tok" music instead of good music or creating viral dance challenges to their songs. Its big money in it. If an artist isnt getting paid that cause they dont own their music or got a bad label or publishing deal who is taking their money. Thats has nothing to do with services paying out.

Hov

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You are clearly clueless on how musicians and artist get paid.. tik tok and youtube pay out royalties just like spotify and Tidal. There are artist with careers off tik tok royalties alone. Thats why you hear about artist making "tik tok" music instead of good music or creating viral dance challenges to their songs. Its big money in it. If an artist isnt getting paid that cause they dont own their music or got a bad label or publishing deal who is taking their money. Thats has nothing to do with services paying out.
Multiple articles on the low payouts of TikTok :why:

Ask yourself how many artists are NOT signed to a label or deal that are actually mainstream? Are you talking about the 1% or the 99%, the same shyt we are talking about from the movie industry.

Cmon man

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
Your anger is misdirected.
The studios and the labels hold the cards.
They choose what you see and hear in mainstream media.
The studios and labels will ignore a talented person or a great pitch in favor of someone who has "the look" or a copycat pitch of something that's already successful.
The people at studios and labels care zero about art. They only care about profit.
They don't have an original thought in their heads, but at the same time they hold the purse strings to fund projects.
The talent is the lowest on the totem pole in the entertainment world.
They're the least paid and least respected.
Yes, there needs to be a reset but it needs to be in the executive offices.