‘MaXXXine’ | Official Trailer | A24 (Sequel to Ti West’s ‘X’) [7/5]

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
So brehs, been trying to find the right time within a busy schedule to watch the first two

Is it imperative that I do so before watching MaXXXine? Or can I skate by just knocking that out first? Know a local theater showing it in 35mm and I wanna peep that limited run
I watched this one first

I was able to follow the general story.

After watching the other 2 after rhe fact, it helped fleshed out maxxxine, but I don't think you necessarily need to watch x or pearl first.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
So brehs, been trying to find the right time within a busy schedule to watch the first two

Is it imperative that I do so before watching MaXXXine? Or can I skate by just knocking that out first? Know a local theater showing it in 35mm and I wanna peep that limited run
I would recommend watching X at the very least before heading into MaXXXine, since this is a direct sequel and you’re following the main lead in both. You can get by without watching Pearl, although it’s very much still worth a peep.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The style was very cool. The nods to Body Double, American Gigolo, St Elmos Fire, Dario Argento type movies.

What strikes me about Ti West's horror movies is there is no real suspense, outside of a few scenes. He doesn't build tension. He doesn't have that Wes Craven/Argento ability, or not yet. Because large portions of the are pretty flat. There's an absurd scene where Maxxine doesn't tell the director three of her friends were murdered in 24 hours or whatever.

The characters are all stock. We never get the sense they are real people. Maybe that's on purpose. The writing, also weak. It's not funny and it's not sharp, it just moves the scenes along, mostly. Ti West as a lot of talent for visual style and music, the montages were the strongest part. The meta Pyscho sequence was ok, but again, a lot of build up for a pretty flat scene with Kevin Bacon running around.

X left almost no impression on me. This left more. But, it needed tightening. The slasher bit needs to be more of a mystery. But, the black gloves and kills are pure Argento. Right out of Deep Red, and all those other ones. The one with the models in the house. edit Mario Bava one. Black Moonlight and Lace or whatever.

Last edited:

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I liked it. Mia Goth killed it to me and i liked the visuals of it. Really felt like i was back in the 80s watching this on a VHS rented from the local video store. Dont mind the ending cause it tied it back to the first. My only gripe is that she couldve tried to get some info out of Kevin bacon first

:russ:

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Nah this just wasn't it.... And I had a feeling that there would be a let down in the trilogy.... It's sad too because Ti did such a great job of narrative pacing and storytelling in the first two...especially in pearl which is a classic..I have no idea what happened here...it's like he had so many ideas flowing all at once that it just made a convuluted bland wet blanket on the whole series....

So much of the story made no practical sense whatsoever...some of these characters were just flat out terrible.... It's just a shame because the movie did a really good job creating a believable Mid 80's Los Angeles but just about everything else was a wreck...I'm going to watch it again to see if I missed something but unfortunately I feel like this is a flop

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While I agree with people saying the third act stumbles, I like what they were attempting flipping the satanic cult sacrifice on its ear. Loved the commentary on adult actresses finding their way into Hollywood via horror and both the actresses and the genre being reviled by judgmental pricks.

That gritty LA aesthetic was the best supporting actor outside of Giancarlo and Bacon

That video store gave me damn near acid flashbacks of my childhood :to: take me back :mjcry:

What a trilogy :wow:

Mia Goth the new Jamie Lee Curtis :obama: