Masters of Horror Face off :Craven or Carpenter? Poll closed.

Whose the best?

• Carpenter

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Craven

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • They ain't fukking wit me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Halloween invented American slashers. This also speaks to how prolific and talented Carpenter is.
No Craven is. That's why they call him the Master of Slasher - :mjtf:
Without Craven there would be no Halloween. Wes Craven started the slasher subgenre. Before Halloween, there was Chiller, Last House on the Left.
Nightmare on Elm Street was iconic.
Halloween was only popular bc it took the babysitter trope and expounded on it. The Thing is popular because most men like monster type movies anyway, just like aliens. As a female horror fan, I'm already in the minority so whatever. I don't think "monster" movies are all that horrorfying in the first place. The Ring was scarier than The Thing imo.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
No Craven is. That's why they call him the Master of Slasher - :mjtf:
Without Craven there would be no Halloween. Wes Craven started the slasher subgenre. Before Halloween, there was Chiller, Last House on the Left.
Nightmare on Elm Street was iconic.
Halloween was only popular bc it took the babysitter trope and expounded on it. The Thing is popular because most men like monster type movies anyway, just like aliens. As a female horror fan, I'm already in the minority so whatever. I don't think "monster" movies are all that horrorfying in the first place. The Ring was scarier than The Thing imo.
:whoa:ok ok. Let's get back to the polls.
Also you consider Last house a slasher? I figured it was just greenhouse. And chiller was released in 85. Halloween was 78.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My favorite Horror movie is the Banshee Chapter. :unimpressed: The Thing is the best horror movie of its kind to ever be made.:hubie:
I'm about to leave work and get on the train. I'll be back on to evaluate this later. ... The Banshee Chapter is your favorite horror movie ???:dahell: Yeah, we need to have a talk:unimpressed:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I'm sorry mama but The Thing is utterly brilliant:russ:

Halloween still my personal number 1 but The Thing is Top 5:wow:
you're still not helping, that's stillllll not helping my cause . :damn:I like Halloween but Halloween and Thing are Carpenter movies:deadrose:. My favorite is Craven. Craven>>>> Carpenter.
Why does everyone like The Thing so much:wtf: Know what, I'm going to rewatch that and see what the hype is bc I don't remember being that impressed by it. I'll watch for a different perspective.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
It's still 9 to 4. :mjgrin:
mannnn..stop bragging. you're going to make me late for my train messing with this poll. I still have hope that it will even out by the time I get back on later tonight.
How about in the meantime, you put the movie titles in your Original Post like I requested, so people can reference it and put a disclaimer in there that the movies are not based off soundtracks or musical scores.
:hhh:
@JAY? get in here and vote for Craven, you know that you like Craven .. Nightmare on Elm street and all that. :sadcam:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
you're still not helping, that's stillllll not helping my cause . :damn:I like Halloween but Halloween and Thing are Carpenter movies:deadrose:. My favorite is Craven. Craven>>>> Carpenter.
Why does everyone like The Thing so much:wtf: Know what, I'm going to rewatch that and see what the hype is bc I don't remember being that impressed by it. I'll watch for a different perspective.

Look, I will completely agree with you that The Thing is more of a "guys" movie. Completely. Not to say women can't or shouldn't like it because I know of plenty who do, but on the surface level, that's a movie that speaks to a man first and foremost. So I completely get why that shyt just leaves you :manny:

Now that's out of the way, here's why the movie is do dope. Most monster movies work where they don't show you the monster. They keep it in the dark. The Thing says nah fukk all that and shows you every single thing and its scarier than you could possibly imagine. It's some shyt we haven't seen before on screen and haven't seen since. It's tense, it's moody, it's got a stellar cast, and Carpenter directs the hell out of every single frame. And that's not even talking about the ending, which is ambiguous and dark. It's so damn dark. It's basically saying "yeah we're all fukked. Oh well,"

The craft of that movie, from the sets, to the creatures, to every damn thing is perfect. And it's got these two damn scenes which are two of the best in all of horror

Then the movie is also an AIDS allegory? :wow:

The fact the thing takes the shape of whatever and you don't know who the thing is and who isn't the thing. It can get you when you least suspect and once it gets you, you're gone. And it spreads and spreads and spreads. We're all fukked.

Now as far as Wes and slashers, Carpenter is officially credited with starting American slashers. You can make the case for Hitchcock with Psycho too. And shyt, without Bob Clark with Black Christmas, Halloween doesn't happen. But Clark is Canadian and Black Christmas is a Canadian flick :jawalrus:

Craven's first actual slasher wasn't until 84 with Freddy. Last House on the Left is more revenge movie than slasher to me. Hills Have Eyes is just stalking and killing lol.

But see now we need to define what a slasher is, and for me, it needs to be a killer with a knife or blade, or something to that effect. Scream is a slasher. Nightmare is a slasher. And they're phenomenal slashers and just phenomenal flicks in general. But are they better than Halloween?:patrice:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:mjlol::beli:..:deadrose::deadrose:I don't think I ever participated in the past ones that yall had on here. :hubie:This would be my first time voting. Let's do it. :sas1:
What were the results from previous years?

I gotta find it. Someone tried to dig it up and couldn't find it

Found it!

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/wel...st-voting-thread.254618/page-40#post-10579223

10.Hellraiser
9. Psycho
8. Scream
7. Alien
6. Texas Chain Saw Massacre
5. The Exorcist
4. The Thing
3. Nightmare on Elm St
2. The Shining
1. Halloween