Masters of Horror Face off :Craven or Carpenter? Poll closed.

Whose the best?

• Carpenter

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Craven

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • They ain't fukking wit me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Wes Craven is the Master of Slashers based on historical filmology (is that a word?..shrugs) alone:
Scream
Nightmare on Elm Street
Shocker
Last House on the Left
People Under the Stairs
Wishmaster
Hills Have Eyes
he took chances with films in terms of originality and storylines.

Serpent and the Rainbow too

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
This is a lot tougher than I expected :patrice:In my head before I came in here I was kinda leaning towards Carpenter, but comparing both’s filmography...I’m not sure now :patrice:
For me it basically comes down to track for track, who’s hits do I fukk with more? Michael Myers has always been my slasher favorite, but I like Freddy, and I think Wes deserves a lot of credit for being able to help bring to life two iconic horror films, franchises, and characters for two different generations with two totally different tones and concepts. I don’t know, I might be going with Wes here. On the whole, I fukk with his bigs hits more than Carpenter’s films, though I think John is better overall. And truthfully I think I’ve seen more of Wes’ work than Carpenter’s :manny: as of now I’m going with Wes but it could change if we ran this back another time

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Look, I will completely agree with you that The Thing is more of a "guys" movie. Completely. Not to say women can't or shouldn't like it because I know of plenty who do, but on the surface level, that's a movie that speaks to a man first and foremost. So I completely get why that shyt just leaves you :manny:

Now that's out of the way, here's why the movie is do dope. Most monster movies work where they don't show you the monster. They keep it in the dark. The Thing says nah fukk all that and shows you every single thing and its scarier than you could possibly imagine. It's some shyt we haven't seen before on screen and haven't seen since. It's tense, it's moody, it's got a stellar cast, and Carpenter directs the hell out of every single frame. And that's not even talking about the ending, which is ambiguous and dark. It's so damn dark. It's basically saying "yeah we're all fukked. Oh well,"

The craft of that movie, from the sets, to the creatures, to every damn thing is perfect. And it's got these two damn scenes which are two of the best in all of horror

Then the movie is also an AIDS allegory? :wow:

The fact the thing takes the shape of whatever and you don't know who the thing is and who isn't the thing. It can get you when you least suspect and once it gets you, you're gone. And it spreads and spreads and spreads. We're all fukked.

Now as far as Wes and slashers, Carpenter is officially credited with starting American slashers. You can make the case for Hitchcock with Psycho too. And shyt, without Bob Clark with Black Christmas, Halloween doesn't happen. But Clark is Canadian and Black Christmas is a Canadian flick :jawalrus:

Craven's first actual slasher wasn't until 84 with Freddy. Last House on the Left is more revenge movie than slasher to me. Hills Have Eyes is just stalking and killing lol.

But see now we need to define what a slasher is, and for me, it needs to be a killer with a knife or blade, or something to that effect. Scream is a slasher. Nightmare is a slasher. And they're phenomenal slashers and just phenomenal flicks in general. But are they better than Halloween?:patrice:

Damn good analysis sir! Thanks for the feedback. I’m rewatching this tonight after dinner keeping in mind the points that you addressed

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Damn good analysis sir! Thanks for the feedback. I’m rewatching this tonight after dinner keeping in mind the points that you addressed
Good shyt. Not even saying you’ll be converted but there’s a lot going on in that movie and it gets all that praise for a reason. And if you love dogs?:whoa:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Good shyt. Not even saying you’ll be converted but there’s a lot going on in that movie and it gets all that praise for a reason. And if you love dogs?:whoa:
Ok I’m watching it now on Starz- hopefully I’ll finish tonight and be back with my opinion. I have my little daughter snuggled up on the bed with me - she said the opening scene looks like a cartoon :mjlol:gotta love those 80s graphics . Now she’s highly dusturbed that dude is shooting at the dog in the Arctic. 10 more minutes to her sleepy time and I can finish watching in peace - I’m not sitting here listening with a complaining whiny 5 yr old in the back , crawling on my back with her hot baby breath .. :scust:now she’s crying bc they threw a bomb at the dog . My daughter wants to know why they threw a bomb at the dog?? Iwant to know too.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Ok I’m watching it now on Starz- hopefully I’ll finish tonight and be back with my opinion. I have my little daughter snuggled up on the bed with me - she said the opening scene looks like a cartoon :mjlol:gotta love those 80s graphics . Now she’s highly dusturbed that dude is shooting at the dog in the Arctic. 10 more minutes to get sleepy time and I can finish watching in peace - I’m not sitting here listening with a complaining whiny 5 yr old in the back , crawling on my back with her hot baby breath .. :scust:now she’s crying bc they threw a bomb at the dog . My daughter wants to know why they threw a bomb at the dog?? I’m want to know too.
Your daughter is asking the same questions my homegirl asked when I sat her down to watch it :russ: she was extremely upset they were fukking with the dog.