Massive layoffs and studio divesture at Epic Games - Blames poor Fortnite Growth

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Every wave eventually crashes. Some of that Fortnite money should have been going into the development of the next thing. Doesn’t mean get rid of Fortnite but have something ready for when all the water has been squeezed out of that rock. I also agree with @Gizmo_Duck and those pandemic boosts are wearing off. People aren’t stuck inside now, and their undivided attention and lack of options are gone.
The online gaming wave needs to die already. These companies make games for online purposes which is dumb, and then have to be harassed into making them offline. Fortnite was the exception but all the online only games have a shelf life of a few months at most, and then the player base drops off in mass numbers.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The online gaming wave needs to die already. These companies make games for online purposes which is dumb, and then have to be harassed into making them offline. Fortnite was the exception but all the online only games have a shelf life of a few months at most, and then the player base drops off in mass numbers.

It makes me wonder how long these type of games are supposed to last. This 10 year game shyt is stupid

So far its like what, destiny, overwatch, fortnite that have lasted that long?

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
Game industry careers is struggling breh, on average you battling it out with 200+ people if you’re lucky. Comp may be great but it’s usually 3-4 months if you’re lucky. There’s people from Unity still posting woe is me post with that green badge of shame.

So it's not just fornite per say. It's the investment in trying to create new technology plus the lawsuits plus the apple store situation created a lot of debt.

Aside from those, the employee benefits are top notched which I'm sure is at a pretty big cost.

Even the severance packages are pretty good too.

I've been thru a layoff at Spotify, I know how this shyt goes. If anything Spotify, Google, Apple and Epic on the resume look good. These companies shuffle around and hire the same employees.

Last edited:

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
It makes me wonder how long these type of games are supposed to last. This 10 year game shyt is stupid

Then look at all the games that died because of that style like For Honor. Evil Dead is a really fun game but it's also a game that needs to be online, and the devs just announced that they're ending service for the game and the servers will be up "for the foreseeable future" which means until next year. :francis:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
So it's not just fornite per say. It's the investment in trying to create new technology plus the lawsuits plus the apple store situation created a lot of debt.

Aside from those, the employee benefits are too notched which I'm sure is at a pretty big cost.

Even the severance packages are pretty good too.

I've been thru a layoff at Spotify, I know how this shyt goes. If anything Spotify, Google, Apple and Epic on the resume look good. These companies shuffle around and hire the same employees.

Truth the X-Epic carries a lot of weight. You a SWE?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Then look at all the games that died because of that style like For Honor. Evil Dead is a really fun game but it's also a game that needs to be online, and the devs just announced that they're ending service for the game and the servers will be up "for the foreseeable future" which means until next year. :francis:

That what makes me miss traditional multiplayer games with split screen but i know that era is never coming back

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

Ehh, none of them are at quite a decade. Destiny had a sequel in 2017; Fortnite started in 2017; Overwatch started in 2016 and just had a sequel.

I think you can do a decade-plus long run if you have the right people running it: Final Fantasy XIV, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Counter-Strike.

But you need to evolve the game and listen to the community. People involved need to actually like the game and know what people want. Try things out and take in feedback for what does and doesn't work.

Warzone could have been a behemoth but Activision and Infinity Ward pissed all over the player base and destroyed its rep. They are a textbook example of what not to do.

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
You ain’t lying breh, we were making a proposal to EA for work and the look on devs faces when I asked what engine they were using and they were physically wincing talking about Frostbite.

Yeah.. The best, most refined version of Frostbite before it became a forked mess, was Frostbite 2.5, which was used to make Bad Company 2. Versions after it got progressively more buggy because EA never let DICE take the time to actually refine the engine and fix most of the bugs Frostbite actually has. That's one major reason why Battlefield 2042 was :scust: :hhh: .

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
It’s was trending down during covid. They had more than enough time to pivot or launch something new.

Epic Games got too comfortable, they killed off Unreal Tournament 4 and Paragon once Fortnite took off.

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
Paragon, I totally forgot about that game:why:

Real talk that game was gonna go nowhere that sci-fi medieval aesthetic sucked.
That game dropped when everyone was trying to make MOBAs. From what I remembered, the community got too divided as the game was making more progress and that was before everyone was playing Fortnite, so we don't know how well the game would've done if it was completed, plus the MOBA craze died out once everyone was playing PUBG and Fortnite.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
I've been playing fortnite since c2s3, so I ain't surprised at growth slowing this chapter. Hell my friend who got me into it, dropped it back in feb/mar.

No new ltms made by Epic, just creative stuff which is usually junk. I can understand why they wanna push creative so much. But I new ltms/modes in general made by epic would be a better idea.

The concerts are whatever, last good one was Ariana back in 2021.

Item shop has been pretty samey/general wack for awhile.

Also their probably gonna take more of a hit with this vbuck price increase on Oct 27th.