Massive layoffs and studio divesture at Epic Games - Blames poor Fortnite Growth

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Even when you have an extremely successful product light Fortnite, you can't eat off the same thing forever. :mjlol:
Ppl spending $100s of dollars year after year just to bullied online like they are at school and work is a sound business model, right?

Right?

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Gears wasn’t a bad move. They specifically said they had no where to really take it after the 3rd game and seeing how 4 and 5 is viewed now it seems obvious there weren’t a lot of good ideas left.

What they should have done is started a spiritual successor the way Bungie did for Halo with Destiny.
Everybody cheap and lazy not just Epic, but yeah, turning Gears into an MMO wouldn't have been a bad idea.

The brainchild behind Gears, Cliffy B, walked away after Gears 3. People have been begging him to go back to Epic, but he seems content writing stuff for Broadway and being married to his wife Lauren. He made his millions, he's good I guess.:manny:

Epic needs to develop the shyt out of Unreal Engine -- it's arguably the best engine/toolset to use that's "free" until you hit a certain amount of revenue.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The brainchild behind Gears, Cliffy B, walked away after Gears 3. People have been begging him to go back to Epic, but he seems content writing stuff for Broadway and being married to his wife Lauren. He made his millions, he's good I guess.:manny:

Epic needs to develop the shyt out of Unreal Engine -- it's arguably the best engine/toolset to use that's "free" until you hit a certain amount of revenue.

A lot of people have one great idea in them

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Since I’m no longer there, fukk it. I was with Unity and I can tell you right now you will never see enough game makers in the boardroom. Working with most SWEs and game designers they have no desire to move up or do not have the business sense to navigate that landscape. Honestly most don’t even have the people skills.

The very small numbers that do get to the the C-suite are usually in tech related positions and are more easily outmaneuvered by their traditional counterparts and cronyism. These execs are continually applying outdated business methodologies to an ever evolving landscape, they fail to change with times due to the need to appease shareholders.

TL:DR, Boomers are failing to keep up with the times, and are prioritizing short term gain over long term growth.
This is why I went back to nonprofit accounting for good. I don't want to antagonize about earnings per share or shareholders. That gray starting to come in my beard will have me looking like a senior citizen in a few years, worry about shyt like 10-Q and 10-K reports again. fukk that noise.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive

Unreal Engine is already there breh. They’ve pimped that engine out to every entertainment vertical in Hollywood. Where I guess you could say they struggle is the mobile market and indie devs.

I know a lot of the bigger companies are developing their own in house engines so it’ll be interesting to see how both Unity & Unreal fare in the future.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Unreal Engine is already there breh. They’ve pimped that engine out to every entertainment vertical in Hollywood. Where I guess you could say they struggle is the mobile market and indie devs.

I know a lot of the bigger companies are developing their own in house engines so it’ll be interesting to see how both Unity & Unreal fare in the future.

Why is Unity so much bigger with mobile devs?

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps

That's what I mean, Unreal is great for traditional game development -- it's workflow and tools for mobile leave much to be desired though.

You want to see a pain in the ass engine to use, look no further than EA's Frostbite :scust::hhh:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
That's what I mean, Unreal is great for traditional game development -- it's workflow and tools for mobile leave much to be desired though.

You want to see a pain in the ass engine to use, look no further than EA's Frostbite :scust::hhh:

You ain’t lying breh, we were making a proposal to EA for work and the look on devs faces when I asked what engine they were using and they were physically wincing talking about Frostbite.