Massive layoffs and studio divesture at Epic Games - Blames poor Fortnite Growth

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
Laying people off but still hiring means you offered no plans to help get those people other jobs elsewhere.
What company does though?....I work there, didn't get laid off but the compensation package is generous enough to help people get thru sometime in order to hopefully find the next gig.

Def a turn of events from 2-3 years ago though.

The one day a week I go to the office and was there when people got their termination emails.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
What company does though?....I work there, didn't get laid off but the compensation package is generous enough to help people get thru sometime in order to hopefully find the next gig.

Def a turn of events from 2-3 years ago though.

The one day a week I go to the office and was there when people got their termination emails.

Game industry careers is struggling breh, on average you battling it out with 200+ people if you’re lucky. Comp may be great but it’s usually 3-4 months if you’re lucky. There’s people from Unity still posting woe is me post with that green badge of shame.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They threw lots of money at the epic store and probably planned to pay for it with fortnight.

Yeah, this is definitely the combo of the unsustainability of both being aggressive with taking less of a cut from sales on the Epic Store to cut into Steam's share of the market, and expecting Fortnite to perform at a level to cover that lost revenue.

Not sure why they went that route anyway, since realistically speaking, there was no way that they were going to take a truly significant chunk away from Steam in the less than five years that the store's existed.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah, this is definitely the combo of the unsustainability of both being aggressive with taking less of a cut from sales on the Epic Store to cut into Steam's share of the market, and expecting Fortnite to perform at a level to cover that lost revenue.

Not sure why they went that route anyway, since realistically speaking, there was no way that they were going to take a truly significant chunk away from Steam in the less than five years that the store's existed.

Constant need for growth from investors got publishers over extending themselves using their viable products as collateral

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
my nieces and nephew used to love fortnite now they play rocket league and roblox

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Even when you have an extremely successful product like Fortnite, you can't eat off the same thing forever. :mjlol:

Last edited: