Massive layoffs and studio divesture at Epic Games - Blames poor Fortnite Growth

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
I'll say this; I'm not sure why they haven't taken the Fortnite assets and make other games

A lot of those assets were built for fortnite so unlike a AR-15, people would’ve recognized the asset flip called them lazy or the game would’ve looked like fortnite Jr.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It’s was trending down during covid. They had more than enough time to pivot or launch something new.

These corp execs will run shyt into the ground accumulating huge bonuses and then bounce/get severances to rinse and repeat somewhere else.

Need more game makers in these decision rooms than corporate suit bozos

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Gears wasn’t a bad move. They specifically said they had no where to really take it after the 3rd game and seeing how 4 and 5 is viewed now it seems obvious there weren’t a lot of good ideas left.

What they should have done is started a spiritual successor the way Bungie did for Halo with Destiny.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
These corp execs will run shyt into the ground accumulating huge bonuses and then bounce/get severances to rinse and repeat somewhere else.

Need more game makers in these decision rooms than corporate suit bozos

Since I’m no longer there, fukk it. I was with Unity and I can tell you right now you will never see enough game makers in the boardroom. Working with most SWEs and game designers they have no desire to move up or do not have the business sense to navigate that landscape. Honestly most don’t even have the people skills.

The very small numbers that do get to the the C-suite are usually in tech related positions and are more easily outmaneuvered by their traditional counterparts and cronyism. These execs are continually applying outdated business methodologies to an ever evolving landscape, they fail to change with times due to the need to appease shareholders.

TL:DR, Boomers are failing to keep up with the times, and are prioritizing short term gain over long term growth.

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Since I’m no longer there, fukk it. I was with Unity and I can tell you right now you will never see enough game makers in the boardroom. Working with most SWEs and game designers they have no desire to move up or do not have the business sense to navigate that landscape. Honestly most don’t even have the people skills.

The very numbers that do get to the the C-suite are usually in tech related positions and are more easily outmaneuvered by their traditional counterparts and cronyism. These execs are continually applying outdated business methodologies to an ever evolving landscape, they fail to change with due to the need to appease shareholders.

TL:DR, Boomers are failing to keep up with the times, and are prioritizing short term gain over long term growth.

Exactly as I figured and is the norm sadly at many companies. That mentality has killed so many companies over the years that it's pathetic just because these bozos are greedy and/or resistance to change and/or deem it as "bad" since they don't understand it :snoop:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Gears wasn’t a bad move. They specifically said they had no where to really take it after the 3rd game and seeing how 4 and 5 is viewed now it seems obvious there weren’t a lot of good ideas left.

What they should have done is started a spiritual successor the way Bungie did for Halo with Destiny.
Everybody cheap and lazy not just Epic, but yeah, turning Gears into an MMO wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Exactly as I figured and is the norm sadly at many companies. That mentality has killed so many companies over the years that it's pathetic just because these bozos are greedy and/or resistance to change and/or deem it as "bad" since they don't understand it :snoop:

Breh it was trend chasing one after the other, Web 3.0, Metaverse, AI, ML, XR. During my time there we had 3 org changes and I’ve seen the Peter Principal in real time. You don’t go from 200$ to 25$ for nothing.

If you favorite studio goes public, kiss em goodbye.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Breh it was trend chasing one after the other, Web 3.0, Metaverse, AI, ML, XR. During my time there we had 3 org changes and I’ve seen the Peter Principal in real time. You don’t go from 200$ to 25$ for nothing.

If you favorite studio goes public, kiss em goodbye.
Yeah, being good afterwards seems to be the exception rather than the rule for dev studios who get acquired.

:mjcry: