Mase talks about the time Big L tried to get him robbed "It Is What It Is"

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
L's buzz was earlier than the mid-90's.

After "Represent" and "Yes You May" remix, he had a lot of hype in Harlem and The Bronx. Mase was still in high school when all of this was going on. He definitely stood out because he sounded like Finesse. I never heard anyone say he sounded like Kane. Ever. LOL!! His whole style was Finesse's back then. Then around '93, he would always be on Underground Railroad, Stretch and Bob, WNYU, and all the other college stations after he got signed, doing insane freestyles. He also had mad shows all over the city before and when the album dropped. The album just didn't do well, so he was low for a minute after that.

So for those of us who were into the underground sh*t and not really into radio, L was definitely a big deal. Which is why I said, his run was popping way more before people even knew Mase existed.

Excluding you, there's a lot of people who weren't even around back then, or even from NYC, who are always speaking on NYC in the 90's like they were there. Sh*t is wild.
I heard him often on Stretch & Bob. He was there frequently. He sounded like Kane with his “Im like…Im like…Im like” MCing. Thats what it came off like to me. I wasnt much of a DITC fan honestly. Those dudes used to put me to sleep, literally, leaving my tape on recording Stretch & Bob as I passed out :heh:

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I heard him often on Stretch & Bob. He was there frequently. He sounded like Kane with his “Im like…Im like…Im like” MCing. Thats what it came off like to me. I wasnt much of a DITC fan honestly. Those dudes used to put me to sleep, literally, leaving my tape on recording Stretch & Bob as I passed out :heh:
That 1am to 5am schedule was rough :russ:But having that fresh recording when you woke up :ahh:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC

I would buy blank tapes from the dollar store and just put the tape in and let it record until it clicked. Wake up, flip it over and go back to sleep. Then in the morning take those tapes and make a master tape and sell dubs of that one in school for $5. HAHA!!

I recorded every single show from summer '92 to the very end. So Stretch came to me to borrow a couple of my tapes to use for the documentary. I still say I have the illest Stretch and Bob collection. Dated and with handwritten tracklists. I was bootlegging the sh*t out of them in middle school and high school. You couldn't get that stuff anywhere back then! I made a lot paper off them!

:russ:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
shyt sound straight Fugazi.

Only ma$e can make all his stories of getting hoed somehow sound nonchalant and he was somehow the winner in all his versions. :mjlol:

I thought they was in a rap click with Big L, COC....cause I had those mixtapes and love them. :what:

Why every crew ma$e ever been a part of everyone beef with him within the crew? :jbhmm:

"I think he was in a click with fat Joe" :francis:

"Aint that breh party dead" from cam.(not sure of the history but that came off flagrant) :wtf:

Did I hear that wrong that when sham and ma$e got ran down; he wanted sham to buy him a new Rollie :dahell:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Couple things about this situation that aren't true.

People Uptown never f*cked with Mase like that because he's not really from Harlem. So this fairy tale that L would have to "set him up" is just ridiculous and I'm not sure why dude is even saying this because nobody Uptown would ever vouch for or believe that about L.

Second, L was always on the same block Uptown. Literally always there. So Mase never had the kinda respect where anyone would have to not be around anymore because they had issues with Mase. L's crew (NFL) was like 40 deep regularly. These were our OG's and my cousin's crew. But L was always a mad chill dude, super laidback and for the most part stayed out of nonsense. So Mase might have some problems if he tries to go back Uptown because he just lying for clicks again. Dude is wildin'.

Thank you for clarifying...I could smell it.

Ma$e aint changed 1 bit.

Foul shyt on his part.

Funny shyt to hear cam hyping it up 2.

Looking at him crazy now 2.

Whats cam's beef with party?

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
By making a statement could he mean he wasn't gone go officially on the record. They uploaded a longer version of the story. Mase said he went to talk to the cops about getting his watch back.

So he was ratting; and at the same time then wanted his ACE to cover for his L who was rolling with him :dahell:

He even said his ACE shamgod told him not to give it up and he still did; then wanna turn around and try to tax his PnC :wtf:

Whoever sham is; if I was sham.....man......

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
He wasn’t even on Lost Boyz level. Imagine all the dope artists, various sounds out there in the mid 90s, who the fcuk want to pop in some outdated Big L trash.

Yo lost Boyz were big :dame:

.....am I tripping rn :wtf:

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
So he was ratting; and at the same time then wanted his ACE to cover for his L who was rolling with him :dahell:

He even said his ACE shamgod told him not to give it up and he still did; then wanna turn around and try to tax his PnC :wtf:

Whoever sham is; if I was sham.....man......
GOD SHAMGOD!!!!!! Providence baller, drafted to the wifzards, works in the league now

Ricky Dunigan

Superstar
Daps
GOD SHAMGOD!!!!!! Providence baller, drafted to the wifzards, works in the league now

Best handle i’d ever seen in person.

These stories are wild to me through some six degrees of separation ish. I ended up going to LIU with Cam’s teammate Richie Parker.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Best handle i’d ever seen in person.

These stories are wild to me through some six degrees of separation ish. I ended up going to LIU with Cam’s teammate Richie Parker.
I read Mase's autobiography back in 2002. I had no idea that he grew up with Shamgod until he talked about it in the book.. He also mentions Big L in the book as well and how Puff heard the "mvp" track and decided to release a Biggie "one more chance" remix using the same sample around the same time following (which had also been used by Kid Capri years prior for those that don't know).

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The oddest shyt ever. He was barely a middle of the pack MC….next thing you know, years later white dudes (not you) get offended that I said as much. :childplease:

shyt is wild

when Big L died he was buzzing like crazy. your rappers fav rapper and it was for his skills not music

that whole punchline mixtape rapper era that comes after in NYC in the 00's is birthed off his influence and style. He was middle of the pack as far as music but highly regarded in skillset and birthed way too many rappers. And a lot of rappers who followed in his footsteps suffered the a similar fate because they concentrated on baring out rather than making songs that's how you end up with cats like papoose years later. if you compare someone like L to Pun or Big it's their ability to construct songs that are popular and still be lyrical that transcends them just being rappers that are critical rap fan darlings. I think you have to appreciate L was just finally coming into being a well rounded MC when he died and having been headed to Rocafella it would have been amazing to see him lock in with a Beanie or Hov and Just, Bink, Kanye. the Big Picture album is great and his growth was showing.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
when Big L died he was buzzing like crazy. your rappers fav rapper and it was for his skills not music

that whole punchline mixtape rapper era that comes after in NYC in the 00's is birthed off his influence and style. He was middle of the pack as far as music but highly regarded in skillset and birthed way too many rappers. And a lot of rappers who followed in his footsteps suffered the a similar fate because they concentrated on baring out rather than making songs that's how you end up with cats like papoose years later. if you compare someone like L to Pun or Big it's their ability to construct songs that are popular and still be lyrical that transcends them just being rappers that are critical rap fan darlings. I think you have to appreciate L was just finally coming into being a well rounded MC when he died and having been headed to Rocafella it would have been amazing to see him lock in with a Beanie or Hov and Just, Bink, Kanye. the Big Picture album is great and his growth was showing.
Big pun was actually popping when he was alive though, and his death was a bigger deal in rap than Big L’s was

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Big pun was actually popping when he was alive though, and his death was a bigger deal in rap than Big L’s was
and that doesn't change anything i said. Pun style carries from G rap in a very similar way he didn't alter much. L style builds on Lord finesse in the same way Nas did Rakim. More rappers followed L's lead on rapping after he passed than they did Pun despite his Celebrity. I'm not talking about celebrity in any capacity as being the decider of lists. When you say he was more popping and death was bigger you are right and wrong. His death was a bigger deal for the mere fact that you mentioned he was popping while alive. L on the other hand continued to grow in death as people discovered him more. Pun didn't have that effect.

I mentioned Pun to give him props for being lyrical on a main level... to say he was a better overall artist and you took it somewhere else. For all Pun achieved as an artist in his short time L still influenced the style of NY that rap that directly came after him for a lot longer.