Mase talks about the time Big L tried to get him robbed "It Is What It Is"

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
and that doesn't change anything i said. Pun style carries from G rap in a very similar way he didn't alter much. L style builds on Lord finesse in the same way Nas did Rakim. More rappers followed L's lead on rapping after he passed than they did Pun despite his Celebrity. I'm not talking about celebrity in any capacity as being the decider of lists. When you say he was more popping and death was bigger you are right and wrong. His death was a bigger deal for the mere fact that you mentioned he was popping while alive. L on the other hand continued to grow in death as people discovered him more. Pun didn't have that effect.

I mentioned Pun to give him props for being lyrical on a main level... to say he was a better overall artist and you took it somewhere else. For all Pun achieved as an artist in his short time L still influenced the style of NY that rap that directly came after him for a lot longer.
Because your comparing someone who mattered to a nobody

Did he really continue to grow? What are his streaming numbers looking like now? Lifestyles STILL isn’t Gold or plat 30 years later despite all the big L death propaganda. Big picture stalling at gold in 2000 for someone who died less than a year prior is embarassing

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Because your comparing someone who mattered to a nobody

Did he really continue to grow? What are his streaming numbers looking like now? Lifestyles STILL isn’t Gold or plat 30 years later despite all the big L death propaganda. Big picture stalling at gold in 2000 for someone who died less than a year prior is embarassing
ah i see.

i thought i was actually having an objective conversation my bad. let me hold this L for entertaining a retard. i don't even know where all these emotions you are displaying are coming from you sound touched in the head. please put me on ignore

EDIT

ignored... 1 more purged loser:ahh:

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
ah i see.

i thought i was actually having an objective conversation my bad. let me hold this L for entertaining a retard. i don't even know where all these emotions you are displaying are coming from you sound touched in the head. please put me on ignore

EDIT

ignored... 1 more purged loser:ahh:
You are catching feelings over the fact that Big L was a nobody when he was alive :russ:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
GOD SHAMGOD!!!!!! Providence baller, drafted to the wifzards, works in the league now

THATS WHERE IT COMES FROM!?

blow-mind-mind-blown.gif

repped 4 the knowledge; had no idea. never even heard of breh. dope history tho.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I read Mase's autobiography back in 2002. I had no idea that he grew up with Shamgod until he talked about it in the book.. He also mentions Big L in the book as well and how Puff heard the "mvp" track and decided to release a Biggie "one more chance" remix using the same sample around the same time following (which had also been used by Kid Capri years prior for those that don't know).

aw man he got a book....was this the cover....

:duck:

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
aw man he got a book....was this the cover....

:duck:
haha, nah, the book seemed genuine. It was when he had took a break from hip hop and was pastoring. Dope book that talked about his childhood, playing ball, getting into the rap game, and how grimy puff is. He never said a bad thing about Puff though, just his shady business practices and how he didn't want his sister and Harlem world under him. It's only $2 now for a used copy. I bought and read it 22 years ago in about a week. I wish I still had my old amazon account with all of the books I ordered before they canceled that one. Now my current account only goes back to 2008

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
when Big L died he was buzzing like crazy. your rappers fav rapper and it was for his skills not music

that whole punchline mixtape rapper era that comes after in NYC in the 00's is birthed off his influence and style. He was middle of the pack as far as music but highly regarded in skillset and birthed way too many rappers. And a lot of rappers who followed in his footsteps suffered the a similar fate because they concentrated on baring out rather than making songs that's how you end up with cats like papoose years later. if you compare someone like L to Pun or Big it's their ability to construct songs that are popular and still be lyrical that transcends them just being rappers that are critical rap fan darlings. I think you have to appreciate L was just finally coming into being a well rounded MC when he died and having been headed to Rocafella it would have been amazing to see him lock in with a Beanie or Hov and Just, Bink, Kanye. the Big Picture album is great and his growth was showing.
actually Big L was influenced by Lord Finesse, who put L on.

CrossBones

Louder than words
Daps
Reppin
Vice City
There are plenty of MCs who were respected but didn't sell well. There are underground legends who inspired guys you listen to today but didn't have great success. It's a business first. I don't know why y'all comparing an underground rapper like L to the Lost Boyz and shyt like that lol. They made hooks and anthems tailor made for the clubs. Big L literally dropped a radio single that was his version of the sample that Big used for "One More Chance" before them, but he had no promotion for it. His label was wack. (To be honest it's not really his lane or his best song either). Plenty of talented MCs had this issue. A lot of listeners weren't checking for the commercial joints like that anyways. This was before you needed to cross over to be considered hot. Remember Illmatic didn't sell until Nas crossed over in his later albums.

If you listen you'd see for yourself if Big L was talented or not. Bringing up sales is fugazi when you talk about skill or influence. If it doesn't matter what someone who was there will tell you, just know that Nas, Jay and Em all credited and gave L his props. It wasn't about him dying it was the effect he had on the 90s underground and its lyricists. Plenty artists died and didn't get that mention. Nas said he considered L a threat to him lyrically. Like he was almost too much. Go look it up on youtube since you don't believe people on here. There are still old heads who think he's nicer than Cam and Mase and still the best out of Harlem. Goofs on here talking about he didn't have a radio hit, smh. Hip Hop was different I don't know when y'all became A&Rs and judged everyone's influence by their commercial track record, and counting their plaques to be the last word. Sometimes there is more going on in Hip Hop history than just what the radio played or what spotify playlists today. What do you think the underground was? :mjlol:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Best handle i’d ever seen in person.

These stories are wild to me through some six degrees of separation ish. I ended up going to LIU with Cam’s teammate Richie Parker.

Richie Parker is my guy.

Went to 163 with him. Played Riverside and mad other teams with him. Just saw him a couple weeks ago. Cam did and said a lot of foul sh*t about Rich back in the high school days. And told on him. So there was some tension for a minute. But during the era, Rich was the truth on the court. Cam was never really like that. Most of the nice hoopers Uptown that didn't make it to the league or even college, never got into other sh*t like music. A lot of us got close, but the two who were really making noise, was Rich and Felipe.

Ricky Dunigan

Superstar
Daps
Richie Parker is my guy.

Went to 163 with him. Played Riverside and mad other teams with him. Just saw him a couple weeks ago. Cam did and said a lot of foul sh*t about Rich back in the high school days. And told on him. So there was some tension for a minute. But during the era, Rich was the truth on the court. Cam was never really like that. Most of the nice hoopers Uptown that didn't make it to the league or even college, never got into other sh*t like music. A lot of us got close, but the two who were really making noise, was Rich and Felipe.
Rich was mad cool. I was just a freshman but dude showed love. I’ll always respect that.

From afar, I learned from what got him kicked outta MS and I used that as a lesson. Didn’t know Cam snitched

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I guess the miss tee footage should get added to this thread .

If it has not been added previously.

Art Barr

Last edited: