Mase talks about the time Big L tried to get him robbed "It Is What It Is"

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Yeah, I bought this damn album because I was kinda into the single, but it was trash, lol.

His first album was a personal classic for me though. But he f*cked up when he hopped on that wave that a lot of rappers were doing at the time, with trying to do what Puff was doing. He looked wild awkward and uncomfortable in the video. Like someone was making him do sh*t he really didn't want to do.

:russ:
I remember coming home from school to this shyt. Like this can't be the MASTA I.C??? Making jiggy songs.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I remember coming home from school to this shyt. Like this can't be the MASTA I.C??? Making jiggy songs.

Broke my heart with that sh*t. LOL!!

"Masta I.C." was my sh*t!! So when he tried to switch up that was the end for him. But he admits it now. A lot of them were taking that risk back then.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Yeah, I bought this damn album because I was kinda into the single, but it was trash, lol.

His first album was a personal classic for me though. But he f*cked up when he hopped on that wave that a lot of rappers were doing at the time, with trying to do what Puff was doing. He looked wild awkward and uncomfortable in the video. Like someone was making him do sh*t he really didn't want to do.

Loved his first album, but after hearing this single, I never bought this album. Even a Jay Z verse(after he had somewhat become established) and Puff feature couldn't save this shyt. I don't know why did this shyt.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Not even close.

Nas, Jay, Mase, Cam'Ron, Prodigy, ODB, Raekwon, LL, Ja Rule, Lil' Kim, Foxy Brown, Big Pun, Noreaga, AZ, Fat Joe, Busta Rhymes...

He simply wasn't. He didn't even have a deal yet. I can name least 10 rappers that were bigger than Big L at the time of his death

Meth (just released 1st album months prior)
ODB (prepping 2nd album)
Gza (prepping 3rd album)
Deck (prepping 1st album)
Mos Def (hot off of the Black Star album and prepping 1st solo album)
DMX
Jay Z
Nas
Mase
Big Pun
Busta
Noreaga(touring off of his first album)
Fat Joe(just released 3rd album a few months prior)

I can keep going. L wasn't that popular until he was killed. I knew him, but I'm not the entire population. That's only touching the surface. I haven't even inlcuded guys like Rza, Q Tip, and even Bleek. Yes Bleek was a bigger rapper than Big L, not better, but more known.

So a guy who wasn’t top 15 in his own city at his death, how does he go from that to “OMG Big L da GOAT, Big L woulda been top ten all time, big L woulda been a superstar if he lived”

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I guess, I just mean BET played that wack ass Geronimo and Puff song A LOT. I don't know if it was payola or what but that shyt was in rotation. So, he was definitely more of a household name than L was.

:scust:

The remix with DMX and Black Rob is good though

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Loved his first album, but after hearing this single, I never bought this album. Even a Jay Z verse(after he had somewhat become established) and Puff feature couldn't save this shyt. I don't know why did this shyt.

That's back when we had to cop albums before knowing what was on them. LOL!

So I thought it was gonna be like the first joint. I was very wrong. Album was ass.

moa213

Rookie
Daps
He wasn't.
Big L wasn’t even known outside of Harlem when he died. Dude could have walk dolo around Harlem and no crowd will swam him, why do you think he was killed in Harlem and prolly leaved in an apartment. No one in my BX HS heard of him, the guy career underground career was done before his death. Up to now you won’t find any of his live big arena performance of him. Made was tuning shyt from 1996 to 1999 with DMX, Busta and Jay. Disrespect to put BiG L in the same breath as Mase.

moa213

Rookie
Daps
Hell, Big L wasn't on Smif N Wessun or OC's level of popularity either honestly. Times Up and Bucktown was literally played all the time. None of L's records impacted like that during that era.

Definitely not in NY, so I imagine the same was true out of state.

Mic G is a good comp.
He wasn’t even on Lost Boyz level. Imagine all the dope artists, various sounds out there in the mid 90s, who the fcuk want to pop in some outdated Big L trash.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
So a guy who wasn’t top 15 in his own city at his death, how does he go from that to “OMG Big L da GOAT, Big L woulda been top ten all time, big L woulda been a superstar if he lived”

The oddest shyt ever. He was barely a middle of the pack MC….next thing you know, years later white dudes (not you) get offended that I said as much. :childplease:

shyt is wild

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Big L was a horrorcore icon

Mase was a soft "getting jiggy with it" era rapper who was lucky to record a few songs with the Devils son on the come up in COTC before going soft with bad boy

If L wanted him jumped I'm sure it was for a good reason
Mace was on mixtapes in the mid 90s and getting hella more buzz than Big L who sounded like Big Daddy Kane past his expiration date. He did not stand out to niqqas during that time….at all. Sounded like a Washington Square Park rapper who got a minor deal.

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He wasn’t even on Lost Boyz level. Imagine all the dope artists, various sounds out there in the mid 90s, who the fcuk want to pop in some outdated Big L trash.

Hell that’s not even a debate. Lost Boyz first album had legit anthems and about 4 or 5 huge singles that were getting heavy rotation on the radio in NYC.

They were much bigger then Smif N Wessun and OC as well