Reppin
Planet X
what you need?! :melogrootoh:

a4eVUXN.png

We are Groot!

PopOnCloud9

All Star
Daps
To be honest, I actually enjoyed this movie more than CA: Civil War. I was skeptical that it could too the first Guardians but it did and it set up Vol 3 perfectly in my opinion

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
Felt the first movie was more organic a d tje second was forced...the script seemed rushed...it escalated rather quickly and the attempts to tug at the heartstrings was ineffective because the series didnt build enough on the relationship between ..but I saw the boot leg version as well....will wait to see a better version....but I was not impressed

doublex

Pro
Daps
Let me preface this by saying I'm a MCU stan. However...

They have got to start switching up their formula.

I'm tired of the antagonist turning out to be your standard moustache-twirling villain who's out to destroy the world/galaxy. Civil War was GREAT about giving us something new: We thought we were getting the usual boss fight between the Hydra super soldiers and Iron Man/Cap/Bucky, instead this got turned on its head at the last minute and it became hero vs hero. LOVED that.

GOTGv2 had the potential to be different as well. Imagine you've never met your father and when you finally do, he turns out to be the leader of some polygamous cult who's obsessed with spreading his seed. What if Ego hadn't been an out-and-out bad guy but had simply turned out to be someone whose path Peter ends up choosing not to follow? That would have made for better 3rd act tension, IMO, than "Will they destroy Ego before Ego destroys the galaxy?"

Imagine if they'd gotten rid of Ego's propensity for infanticide and had Peter find out that Ego had fathered billions of kids across the galaxy with billions of women? Now Quill has to deal with the realization that his mother wasn't special to his father, that she'd just been used to satisfy his kink for impregnating as many women as he possibly could. I would have rather seen Peter wrestle with that revelation than with another kill-or-be-killed situation like Ronan.

Imagine if they'd thrown out the revelation that Ego killed Peter's mother (with a brain tumor... for some reason) and instead made the conflict about Ego insisting that Peter be like him (build a planet, be fruitful and multiply, etc) and Peter had to choose between being with (and like) his Celestial father vs sticking with his friends. Ego could have insisted Peter stay with him and never see his friends again, and the climax of the movie could have been all about Peter and the guardians trying to escape the planet, rather than about them trying to destroy the planet.

It would have been something different, which would really be welcome at this point. Especially since Infinity War HAS to be your standard "destroy the bad guy before he destroys the world" story. Give us something new now, in these last few movies leading up to IW, so by next summer we'll be ready to return to the formula.

I had the same issue with Dr. Strange, btw. Ready for Marvel to switch it up.

ETA: Don't get me wrong, there was a lot I liked about the movie. The humor and action were on point.

But when I heard that Peter's father was going to be Ego the Living Planet, I expected a really interesting relationship to develop between them.

"I killed your mother" "Prepare to die!" is not interesting.

And then they kill off the father figure (Yondu) that Peter did have an interesting relationship with... :snoop:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Short review obviously spoilers
the movie is simply underwhelming.They did exactly what I feared they would do which is to double up on everything..

-at first humor is good a few lines later u realize that it's like a snl sketch constant juvenile humor that isn't even funny after the 100th time Drax says obvious stuff that's supposed to make people laugh...
-biggest issue I have is that every character is a gimmick there's no real dialogue just constant one liners
-little groot is a merchandise selling device nothing more than that.yes he is adorable ( they even say it OUT LOUDin the movie SMH) but it wears off after u realize that Gunn tries his hardest to sell it to you "how cute he is..."
--no real story development and it feels very self contained as even though the stakes are high feels like it's added on with the blue jelly devouring other planets :russ:
-usual marvel villain shyt sovereign is a joke no threat at all... Ayesha and the rest of them golden bytches sexy as hell!
-rocket is unbearable and annoying..
-forcing feelings on audience with the father/son/family dynamic fails miserably
-that romance subplot ? Ahahahah NO.
-pacing...
-agree with @doublex marvel needs to switch it up...

Now the positives:
-explosion of colors very pretty movie sometimes it's very hard to concentrate how cool it is
-yondu and nebula surprisingly best parts for me personally
-gamora looks GOOD
-Kurt fukking Russell played great even though EGO was alright
-in a sea of bad jokes few stand out (I'M MARY POPPINS YALL!)
-few cool scenes like for example Yondu and Rocket taking back the ship (but wait.. why are the heroes literally murdering about 100 people? All that while laughing and having time of their life..)

All in all disappointed as the first one is my favourite marvel movie. But Marvel can't go on like this...sure they swimming in money but it's getting really boring..

6/10
And I really wanted to love it.

Crizzy

U wanted the smoke...u can have it your way
Daps
Reppin
RMFT
There's a copy of it on TPB. Still gonna catch it in the theater. Gonna watch that copy after my lil ones birthday party this afternoon.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I like to read good and bad reviews of movies and pay a likkle more attention to the bad reviews.

Still gon' see the movie though.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Gonna go see this at the weekend.:ehh:

Trap doing numbers already too :leon:

I like to read good and bad reviews of movies and pay a likkle more attention to the bad reviews.

Still gon' see the movie though.

:patrice:
This one I'd take with a grain of salt - look at the rest of his timeline...