Martin Scorsese Says ‘Fight Back’ Against Comic Book Movie Culture by Supporting Directors Like Christopher Nolan: ‘We’ve Got to Save Cinema’

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
He acts like the gangster film fetish media had before was any better,
people aren't immortalising drug dealers and mafia bosses anymore. thats a problem?
He wasn't making art house cinema either

He's made every type of genre. 'Taxi Driver' wasn't a mob movie. 'Raging Bull'? 'Shutter Island'?

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
People can enjoy different types of movies. It's more social media and streaming services that has "ruined" movies not really superhero films.

Also, companies getting lazy and wanting to use previously established IPs instead of taking risks on new ideas.

Last edited:

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
Hes on his 4th go round about this nonsense. I swear hes had the same headline for 4 years.

If films went back to the 80s style, where all the top films were new properties; maybe thatd work.

But its hard to go against damn near 100 years of goodwill and history, where ya action figures a tually come to life. MCU will peak out with xmen/F4, unless they get it right (i dont have faith), maybe another ten years after that.

Hollywood is obv filled with hacks with no imagination because theres been like 5 movies a year worth seeing this entire decade. And 90% of streaming films are trashhhh.

Doubt “film” ever comes back. But marty should be blaming streaming not marvel comics.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
:wow: dudes in here heated. Y'all only watch MCU movies or something?
Anyway, with the recent low performances from this year's superhero movies I think studios are course correcting the focus
actually sounds like scorsese is mad, nothing about superhero movies prevents anybody from watching his latest Deniro mafia flick.
They just had their time, Westerns used to be the the shyt everybody watched, Gangster flicks had literally two peaks, once in the old black and white era, and again during the scorsese prime. martial arts films dominated in the 70s because of bruce lee bringing attention to the genre.
90s gave romantic comedies a solid run on top. Now its superhero flicks. when they finish their run some other genre will take over and dominate.
how it always worked

moreover its more to do with the audience age and taste. Most people in their 30-40s are the primary spenders at the box office. Thats a generation of kids that grew watching an animated version of the mcu with the spiderman, & x-men cartoons sharing a cinematic universe. We getting what WE want right now because it's our time. When gen z hits their 30s & 40s they'll decided want to spend the money on and the industry will cater to them at that point.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: shyts hilarious you got the “my IQ is higher than your, because I watch these movies” crowd. Doing back flips in this thread lol. Superhero movies are on the decline. And it seems like video game movies got next. So it won’t be long before the. “Video game movies are ruining cinema” takes begins. He should be more mad at streaming services. Because more people are willingly to wait for a movie. To become available on streaming services. Unless your movie is a big event film, or a children’s film.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
People keep saying comic book movies are done, but Marty out here still fighting like hell like comic book movies are still rolling strong.

which is it?

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
Scorsee picking Nolan to make this point is odd and telling. Nolan practically revived the comic genre, and there are other filmmakers making better stories with less support.

His issue isn't with the "comic book movies" but if you actually read what he says its more so low stakes formulaic franchises of which MCU is the most visible culprit. No one would say TDK trilogy is formulaic or low stakes.

Billie Jean

everything I did wrong...worked.
Daps
Reppin
Neverland
Who made this Italian midget the god of cinema?

Good movies are out there for people that look for them:comeon:

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
I agree with Marty. shyt's getting old. With the exception of the Spiderverse and to a lesser extent Sony/Marvel Spiderman (not universe) franchise.

Even Antman which was funny and felt fresh the first time around was hot garbage in part 2.